The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Default Martin D-1 Authentic 1931

I played a really cool guitar at Music Outlet in Sevierville, the D-1 Authentic 1931. It's a recreation of one of Martin's earliest dreads, which preceded the first D-18. It's a 12 fret slot head dread with nice Honduras mahogany neck and body, a wide grain adi top, and ebony board and bridge. Additional cool features are super light weight, vintage 3 on a plate tuners, and a very cool semigloss finish (varnish?)

The guitar felt great with it's 1 7/8" neck and punchy vintage tone. A concern is the lack of neck adjustability, but it's vintage after all.

The salesman quoted a price of $4100 + tax cash on the barrel head, no cards or checks at that price.

I'd like to compare that guitar to my custom Gallagher. Actually, I'd like to have both.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

These are really nice guitars. I'm a sucker for 12 fret dreads anyway, and this has become one of my favorite guitars.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
I played a really cool guitar at Music Outlet in Sevierville, the D-1 Authentic 1931. It's a recreation of one of Martin's earliest dreads, which preceded the first D-18. It's a 12 fret slot head dread with nice Honduras mahogany neck and body, a wide grain adi top, and ebony board and bridge. Additional cool features are super light weight, vintage 3 on a plate tuners, and a very cool semigloss finish (varnish?)

The guitar felt great with it's 1 7/8" neck and punchy vintage tone. A concern is the lack of neck adjustability, but it's vintage after all.

The salesman quoted a price of $4100 + tax cash on the barrel head, no cards or checks at that price.

I'd like to compare that guitar to my custom Gallagher. Actually, I'd like to have both.
I have never played the D-1 but the specs and looks make me drool. Slope shoulder dreadnaught with slot head 12 frets seem to go together. How was the neck on the guitar? Most authentics are a little big for me although the OM-28 1931 has a very reasonable neck size. Anything under 4200.00 for that guitar is a very good price. And a good tech can make adjustments without a truss rod unless it is way off. But considering it is a new guitar from Martin I would not be overly concerned.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 PM

Yeah the standard (for buyers in the know) 40% off MSRP of $7000 is $4200, so $4100 is a nice price.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:04 PM

The specs of that sound like they could even tempt Silly Moustache away from his precious Collings !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion