The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2022, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

As a runner and a triathlete for over 40 years, I've always been in the ''exercise is good'' camp.

Now at 72 and having had; 2 knees surgeries, two shoulder surgeries, bilateral hip replacements, one elbow surgery and getting ready for my second surgery on my left hand, I've changed my opinion to ''things do wear out''.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:45 AM

Life causes arthritis. Moving alleviates the symptoms. Dying eliminates them completely.

“The guitar’s all very well as a hobby, John, but you’ll never make a living out of it.”
Old 03-05-2022, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

My rheumatologist says playing guitar is the best thing I can do for the Osteo in my fingers.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Playing guitar helps.

For me arthritis started in my knees. I play tennis several times per week, playing tennis doesn't exercise your knees, it just pounds on them so the pain was getting worse. I then went to Physical Therapy and learned a number of muscle building exercises that has almost completely eliminated the pain.

When the arthritis started in my hands I made a bold move to switch from electric to acoustic guitar knowing that acoustic guitar would build more muscle. It worked, I don't really feel any pain while playing, and very little pain any other time. Before the switch it was pretty bad.
Old 03-05-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Another way to alleviate pain is to work out with grip strengtheners. I use Prohands by Gripmaster. These are actually good for any guitarist with or without arthritis.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Strengthening muscles (as you do in guitar playing) should support joints.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:01 PM

to answer the OP's queston - No - but arthritis has a big impact on guitar playing. I am getting there and a new pain in the hands is a big let down for the day. That said you learn to move to partial chords and less painful fingering to keep moving. It's actually made me more innovative and forced some new fret board exploration. - It will be a sad day when the guitar just gets too painful but I can see it comming.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion