The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2024, 05:28 PM

Default K&K pickup with internal dynamic mic.

Hi all.
I have a question to throw out there and see if anyone has tried when I am thinking of
I had purchased and installed the k&k trinity pro which you may know is the K&K mini paired with the trinity microphone. This setup requires the K&K trinity preamp to power the internal mic.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good dynamic microphone to replace the K&K mic so I could bypass the preamp altogether since the dynamic mic will not require Phantom power..

I have found I get a better sound through my K&K pick up when I'm not using the K&K preamp but do want to add a microphone which could simply plug into my TRS jack as the trinity mic does.

As always...thank you for any suggestions.
Gerry C

Last edited by gerryc123; 04-23-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
Hi all.
I have a question to throw out there and see if anyone has tried when I am thinking of
I had purchased and installed the k&k trinity pro which you may know is the K&K mini paired with the trinity microphone. This setup requires the K&K trinity preamp to power the internal mic.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a good dynamic microphone to replace the K&K mic so I could bypass the preamp altogether since the dynamic mic will not require Phantom power..

I have found I get a better sound through my K&K pick up when I'm not using the K&K preamp but do want to add a microphone which could simply plug into my TRS jack as the trinity mic does.

Gerry C
A dynamic is going to generally require 3 leads, and that's not easy to accomplish routing the leads to an external jack. The other issue is availability. I don't ever recall even seeing a dynamic mic sold for internal use in a guitar.

I've done a few internal mics in accordions and did that by gutting a Shure 57 and using the element and transformer parts mounted on a reed block, routing the wiring to a 1/4" jack, sealed inside a wood block so there was no air leakage through the jack.

I suppose a person could do the same thing for a guitar, minus the need to seal the output jack, of course.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:25 PM

Thank you, Rudy. It's possible I'm not using the correct terminology. I'm not sure what an internal mic for an acoustic guitar would be called that does not require power...is it cardioid? I'm not sure.

Basically, I'm looking for Something like a Fishman.Rare earth blend microphone that I can use in conjunction with my K&K saddle pick up.

I tried the Fishman but did not like the humbucker pick up.

I prefer the K&K and was looking to add a microphone to my current setup which is just the K&K.

Thanks for your help

Thank you for your help!
Old 04-26-2024, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Your terminology is correct. A dynamic mic does not require power, whereas a condenser mic does. The vast majority of mics that are used in this situation (internal guitar mic’ing) are condensers, because they are physically smaller, more sensitive, and in this situation have flatter frequency responses than comparable dynamic mics.

The mic in the Fishman you mentioned is a condenser as well - it is simply powered by batteries in the pickup rather than an external preamp.

The reason you’re not getting much response here is that dynamic mics aren’t really great for this purpose. They require a lot more gain than condensers, they are physically larger, and dynamic mics with diaphragms the size of a normal internal guitar mic really don’t sound very good.

Instead, you should look at swapping out the K&K Trinity mic with another condenser mic. There are plenty of mics that can be swapped out easily and can be powered by a huge range of external preamps without the artificial limitation that K&K built into the Trinity.

I know several guitarists who have installed a DPA 4060, or 6060 (which is the newer version) in place of the Trinity mic. That setup can sound absolutely fantastic.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
Hi all.

Gerry C
Hi Gerry…
I did an early (1970s) attempt at an internal dynamic mic (Shure SM-11) taped inside the front of the guitar with the soundhole 'sealed' off with several 4"X6" note cards, and the mic cable dangling out the front of the guitar…extended and run to the mixer. The SM-11 is a low impedance dynamic mic with XLR connector, and it is about the diameter of a dime and nearly an inch long (2.54cm)

A very real feedback avoidance challenge immediately arose…different in every venue, and while the dual source (my internal contact Barcus Berry plus the SM-11) sounded different, and probably more natural, it was pretty useless with the inexpensive PA systems being used in the circles I traveled and played in at that time. I was trying to use it in a band. James Taylor used one in TV studios when he made early appearances during the Folk Movement Era.

As time progressed I graduated through several under saddle rigs to K&K Pure Mini, then added the K&K internal mic with one of K&Ks preamps. Eventually I migrated to third party dual source preamps (Raven PMB I and II and a DTAR Solstice…and I still own a Raven PMBII and a Solstice).

The K&K with internal mic took a turn for the worse when K&K crippled their Silver Bullet (internal mic) so that any voltage higher than 9v will cause it to shut off.

Fortunately in all 5 guitars I own with their dual source parts are from before that time because ALL my preamps exceed 9v.

Actually there are other options you might pursue…just a plain old K&K Pure mini with:
ToneDexter I or II
Baggs Voiceprint

Both of these can record, store, and recall the actual voice of your guitar on the fly (IRs of the actual guitar) and then combine them with any pickup in a guitar.

You are talking more money - $430 (spring 2024) Voice print, and $600 ToneDexter II. But my ToneDexter I (which I've been using for 5˝ yrs) has replaced both the internal mic, and the external Preamp and produces the most natural sound my acoustics have ever displayed for 5˝ yrs now. I have zero plans to change them.

A ToneDexter is both preamp, and IR recorder/player…and it has very sophisticated feedback management, and tone adjustment, boost etc built in. The ToneDexterII is even more amazing.

Hope you accomplish what you are hoping to do…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-27-2024 at 06:38 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification