The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-24-2024, 09:16 AM

Yes, volume is another improvement with mediums.
Old 04-24-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Yes, volume is another improvement with mediums.
Thanks, I will definitely give that a... Go. *ahem*
Old 04-24-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Thanks, I will definitely give that a... Go. *ahem*
Ha! I hope you'll find the same improvement as I have.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:28 AM

It is nice to see that we all have different ways to make this flawed guitar work for us.

In the end I boldly tuned up my 09-42 string set to A after all. As already mentioned the resulting tension is quite high but it also greatly improves the volume.

The neck is still straight after 2 weeks so I think I will keep it this way.

The tuning instability with changing temperature still baffles me though. The pattern is always the same:
  1. I pick up the guitar and it is always flat, even though the strings are fully worn in by now.
  2. I tune up and start playing. The guitar appears to stay in tune reasonably well...
  3. ... But no. When after several minutes I check the tuning all the strings have gone sharp by roughly the same amount
  4. So I tune down again and continue playing. There are no more subsequent major tuning issues.
  5. I put the guitar away. Then it is rinse and repeat for the next session.
So it seems the warmth from pressing the guitar against my body, fingers on the neck and fretboard etc, is causing it to go out of tune. This really should not happen to a CF guitar!
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-24-2024, 12:33 PM

Interesting findings. I haven't had my mini long enough to speak on tuning stability but will return to this thread once I do. Will be traveling abroad this summer by plane and will be in a much warmer climate. I'm curious to discover how this guitar holds up to these changes. I purchased the mini specifically because of its small dimensions and standard pitch, having used a Yamaha guitalele for years for this purpose, tuned to A and nylon-strung.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
It is nice to see that we all have different ways to make this flawed guitar work for us.

In the end I boldly tuned up my 09-42 string set to A after all. As already mentioned the resulting tension is quite high but it also greatly improves the volume.

The neck is still straight after 2 weeks so I think I will keep it this way.

The tuning instability with changing temperature still baffles me though. The pattern is always the same:
  1. I pick up the guitar and it is always flat, even though the strings are fully worn in by now.
  2. I tune up and start playing. The guitar appears to stay in tune reasonably well...
  3. ... But no. When after several minutes I check the tuning all the strings have gone sharp by roughly the same amount
  4. So I tune down again and continue playing. There are no more subsequent major tuning issues.
  5. I put the guitar away. Then it is rinse and repeat for the next session.
So it seems the warmth from pressing the guitar against my body, fingers on the neck and fretboard etc, is causing it to go out of tune. This really should not happen to a CF guitar!
I have found about the same.... Temp seemed to effect it... if it stayed in a stable temp environment I think it the tuning pretty much stayed..... FWIW I for some reason bought the X3 pro mini also made by Enya but is more traditional round sound hole and a 3/4 size travel Auditorium guitar.... but back to the Les Paul shaped go... I like it mostly considering the price and durability...
DBZ Barchetta 13
Yamaha GL1 Guitalele
Bedell MBA 17 G

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber