The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Default The Martin Modern Deluxe Sound versus....

Curious to the many owners of Martin Guitars (28 series ideally) if it was difficult to choose the MD over the Standard series in terms of tone?
Did the MD strike as being to bright?
Do the MD's mellow over time?
In regards to the carbon fiber bridge plate, does this affect what kind of pickup one would want to use?
Will the standard series be more valuable in let's say, 30-50 years?
Does anyone think the MD series is overthinking a proven build?

Thanks in advance for your opinions on the MD's.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
Curious to the many owners of Martin Guitars (28 series ideally) if it was difficult to choose the MD over the Standard series in terms of tone?
In regards to the carbon fiber bridge plate, does this affect what kind of pickup one would want to use?

Thanks in advance for your opinions on the MD's.
I have a Standard Series D-18, a D-18 Modern Deluxe and a D-18 Authentic 1937, so I didn’t choose one over the other. In answer to your questions:
Quote:
In addition to the D-18 Modern Deluxe that I own, I’ve played a few others, and wouldn’t characterize them as too bright. To my ears, if you think if paint colors, the Modern Deluxe is a cool version and the Standard Series is a warm version, if that makes sense.
Quote:
Not sure they’ve been around long enough to know for sure. I bought my D-18 MD used and it didn’t have the Liquid Metal bridge pins (I would have switched them anyway). Not sure what, if any, effect the bridge pins have on the tone.
Quote:
No idea, but I do know that Martin has E versions of the MDs.
Quote:
Again, hard to say, but not sure I’d care since I won’t ne around in 30 - 50 years.
Quote:
My impression of the Modern Deluxe line is that it’s Martin’s response to boutique builders that build more “modern” sounding versions of Martin guitars (e.g., Collings, Bourgeios, etc.). I also have a Collings D1A, and the two are closer in tone than either is to the Standard Series D-18. In that sense, I don’t think that the MDs are overthinking anything, but just responding to different tastes in the market.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:00 PM

For the MD, the different sound comes from several things:

* golden era bracing
* baked top
* lightweight carbon/Adi sandwich bridge plate
* metal bridge pines (3x the mass of plastic/bone/tusq)

I don't know if I'd characterise the MD sound as brighter than an average non-MD, but it's definitely more "modern" or "lush" or "pretty" — probably with more overtones vs. fundamental than a standard Martin.

The way I look at it is, from lush to dry tone, you've got MD, Standard, and Authentic. They all still sound like Martins and still have a big low end, but they give you some tone choices depending on what you want.

The biggest advantage about the MD series, though, is that the binding is wood and doesn't come off like Martin plastic binding. So that alone might be a good reason to choose an MD.

Edit: as far a s future value, who knows. Pick a guitar you like and play it while you still can.

Last edited by SRL; 03-27-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I visited the Martin importers in London just before Christmas and played a lot of guitars. A 00-28 MD stood out for me. It felt "right" the build was lovely and the timbre was the best I played that day.

Be guided by your ears and hands.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:32 AM

I like the MD's enough to have bought one - a D28. Generally I have found Martin dread's to have a BOOM-thud fundamental sound that I don't care for. Or the lumpen necks. The more "vintage" or "classic" the less I have thought of them. But ... I have found an MD that was worth spending money on, bringing something different to my collection.
FWIW... the acoustic guitars I enjoy most are my Lowden's, and if I want a dreadnought I am more likely to reach for my Taylor 810 ... but the MD adds something different to the mix ...
Old 03-29-2024, 01:47 PM

I picked a slightly used d-18 modern deluxe over a new standard. I think the tone is a bit “richer”, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective. My wife preferred the sound of the modern deluxe. I liked the sound of both. I preferred the lighter weight, neck shape (a bit), wood binding and tuners on the modern deluxe. I don’t know about the liquid metal bridge pins as I’ve not played the guitar without them.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

It exists to fill a pricing void. It's for people wanting a brighter guitar. Its aesthetics are pretty perfect. I would never think that wood binding would make such a difference, buy my D 35 Custom was ordered with it and it rocks. Not a plastic part on the guitar. I know I'd like the pearl logo too. A lot to like for those who want a more premium guitar but don't want an authentic.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-29-2024, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

I traded for an OM28 MD about a week ago. It may just be my favorite guitar, maybe ever (and I've had a few decent ones, nothing crazy high end, but pretty nice)..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion