The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2024, 03:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Laureates

So a local shop carries the Alvarez line, and I have been interested in the new Alvarez flagship Laureate models. I've been awaiting their arrival since NAMM.

Stopped by yesterday asked about them. I was told that while they did get some Laureates in, they were ALL sent back to Alvarez because they all needed fret work. Alvarez is sending the shop some replacements.

Hmmm. Kinda disconcerting after all the hype and videos hawking this line. Although I like my Alvarez, and have been looking forward to this batch, this is disconcerting for a 'flagship' line.

Any other experiences?
Old 03-26-2024, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
So a local shop carries the Alvarez line, and I have been interested in the new Alvarez flagship Laureate models. I've been awaiting their arrival since NAMM.

Stopped by yesterday asked about them. I was told that while they did get some Laureates in, they were ALL sent back to Alvarez because they all needed fret work. Alvarez is sending the shop some replacements.

Hmmm. Kinda disconcerting after all the hype and videos hawking this line. Although I like my Alvarez, and have been looking forward to this batch, this is disconcerting for a 'flagship' line.

Any other experiences?
Hmmm ..
“ALL” (whatever the number is) of a first batch is indeed disconcerting.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 03-28-2024 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:06 PM

That’s unfortunate to hear and always a good reminder not to buy blindly without playing it (unless it’s a bench built guitar). I’ve been reading into the hype on the Laureates as well and appreciate reading something like this to remind me to never purchase a factory built instrument without first playing it.
1980 Yamaha SJ-180
Old 03-26-2024, 09:49 PM

I have a Laureate dread purchased from Sweetwater about 2 weeks ago. I can’t say if they tweaked any frets before shipping but mine is very nice, no fret issues.
I have had very limited exposure to higher end RW/spruce acoustics so my opinion is limited, but I am happy so far and it sounds fantastic. It’s a little on the bright side and a bit “zingy”, but I find the XS (I think?) strings they ship with also have those characteristics when new.

I hope to ditch them for some Sunbeams this weekend and we’ll see how those settle in.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAgain View Post
I have a Laureate dread purchased from Sweetwater about 2 weeks ago. I can’t say if they tweaked any frets before shipping but mine is very nice, no fret issues.
I have had very limited exposure to higher end RW/spruce acoustics so my opinion is limited, but I am happy so far and it sounds fantastic. It’s a little on the bright side and a bit “zingy”, but I find the XS (I think?) strings they ship with also have those characteristics when new.

I hope to ditch them for some Sunbeams this weekend and we’ll see how those settle in.
Good to hear! I have an Alvarez masterworks elite and a Yairi, both are fine guitars (although the Yairi is a touch better fit-n-finish wise). I've been looking forward to trying one.

As far as the brightness, my Alvarez was a touch on the bright side as well, mostly upper mids when plugged in -- before it began to open up. Seems to have tamed itself over time. Congrats on the purchase, and thanks for the input on the Laureates...
Old 03-27-2024, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Maybe your local dealer got a bad batch or something else was at play? I know I got one from Sweetwater, the natural parlor, and had them do the set-up for me, and it has been a joy to play. Great sound and projection even from a smaller body guitar - maybe it's the rosewood back and sides as I've mostly played mahogany or sapele back and sides as far as solid wood guitars.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjop1975 View Post
Maybe your local dealer got a bad batch or something else was at play? I know I got one from Sweetwater, the natural parlor, and had them do the set-up for me, and it has been a joy to play. Great sound and projection even from a smaller body guitar - maybe it's the rosewood back and sides as I've mostly played mahogany or sapele back and sides as far as solid wood guitars.
Could be, who knows. like I said, I didn't personally see or play the guitars, but the shop said the frets were bad and sent them back.

We will see. I am still really looking forward to auditioning a laureate om.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:41 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post

Any other experiences?
I understand this is what you were told, and I'm not questioning that... but... in all honesty it seems a bit far-fetched.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:31 AM

I will say that, in my experience, Alvarez's quality control is hit-and-miss. If you do buy one, just make sure to inspect it well inside and out. If it's a good one, you are all set.

Now Yairi is a completely different beast. Those are handmade Japanese acoustics, exquisite. The Alvarez guitars come out of a factory in China--some are great, and others have issues.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I understand this is what you were told, and I'm not questioning that... but... in all honesty it seems a bit far-fetched.
Agree. I've seen a few Alvarez's that were a touch off but not many. And these are their new flagship ones -- we'll see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion