The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-25-2024, 11:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Enjoying reading along in your blog Jeff!
Thanks Kevin, I'm happy to hear that!
Old 04-25-2024, 01:17 PM

Fascinating seeing the process unfold. I was checking your blog as well, which adds even more of the steps. The laminated linings (in the blog photos) look quite substantial. Is that to add to the stiffness of the laminated sides? In a more "traditional" build style, the linings are kerfed, I assume, to reduce mass and weight.
Old 04-25-2024, 05:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Fascinating seeing the process unfold. I was checking your blog as well, which adds even more of the steps. The laminated linings (in the blog photos) look quite substantial. Is that to add to the stiffness of the laminated sides? In a more "traditional" build style, the linings are kerfed, I assume, to reduce mass and weight.
The laminated linings are to add stiffness, the idea being that more of the vibrational energy will go into the top and back, rather than being lost to the sides, resulting in more sound. Kerfed linings will be a little bit lighter, but not sure the amount of wood lost to the kerfs adds up to much weight. The main advantage of kerfed linings is that they are less work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
ervin somogyi, somogyi, somogyi apprentice, somogyi apprenticeship