The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-26-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Default Please critique my playing and recording

Let's see how this works. Putting my money where my mouth is. See Open Mic thread here.

So this is my latest recording, played on a Cordoba C12. Recorded with a matched pair of sE8 sdc mics. I do my editing and tune play back with headphones so I don't eq anything to maximize tone for listening on cell phones. I wouldn't even know how to do that at this point.

Anyway, here is the tune. What do you think of the playing, where to improve? What about recording quality? (and what do you listen with?)

Aria:

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 04-26-2024, 09:06 AM

Recording sounds better than anything I've ever done, so I can't comment on that other than that I like it!

Can you share the sheet music you're playing this from? I hear a few notes missing that I was expecting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-26-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Recording sounds better than anything I've ever done, so I can't comment on that other than that I like it!

Can you share the sheet music you're playing this from? I hear a few notes missing that I was expecting.
Thanks Jeff. I can't share it as it is in a book I purchased (50 Easy Classical Guitar Pieces arranged by Jerry Willard). I know, I may have messed up a few notes with my interpretation of the arrangement, thanks.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2024, 09:26 AM

It might not be a mistake at all, if they are supposed to be easy arrangements, the book may have just left them out (though I think you'd be able to play them no problem)

Is there a E and D on the fourth string at the end of bar 2?

Other than that, maybe just a bit slow, but overall, I'd say you're well on your way with this one.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Let's see how this works. Putting my money where my mouth is. See Open Mic thread here.

So this is my latest recording, played on a Cordoba C12. Recorded with a matched pair of sE8 sdc mics. I do my editing and tune play back with headphones so I don't eq anything to maximize tone for listening on cell phones. I wouldn't even know how to do that at this point.

Anyway, here is the tune. What do you think of the playing, where to improve? What about recording quality? (and what do you listen with?)

Aria:
Very nice playing!

My only criticism is I think the reverb is a little too much - but only just. I think I detect some subtle chorus too? If you did add that (if it's not my imagination!), it's definitely at a tasteful level, but personally I'd prefer it without.

The tone is very nice through my headphones (audiotechnica M50x), maybe a little too bright for my taste, but otherwise spot on. (I know tastes vary for classical guitar recordings, and mine is for fuller-bodied sounds.)
Interestingly the bass is not as prominent through my desktop monitors (M-Audio BX4) - maybe not surprising as they're fairly small! - so it definitely sounds better through the headphones.

I don't have feelings either way about the idea of a "Critique Corner", because I never visit the Show and Tell, and if I post my own playing online it's more likely to be on my own channel, and I'm not concerned about feedback. If I was, I think this forum would be the ideal place (seeing as looks like it would get lost over on Show and Tell, with "critique welcome" in the title - as you've done.

Last edited by JonPR; 04-26-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It might not be a mistake at all, if they are supposed to be easy arrangements, the book may have just left them out (though I think you'd be able to play them no problem)

Is there a E and D on the fourth string at the end of bar 2?

Other than that, maybe just a bit slow, but overall, I'd say you're well on your way with this one.
No bar 2 ends with a G#, B and E half note triad

The entire measure is:

x..x..x
5..x..4
3..x..x
x..x..x
x..x..0

Quarter note, quarter note, half note.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2024, 09:58 AM

So yeah, not a mistake at all, just a different arrangement.

If you get a chance, compare yours to this...this is how I learned it but that doesn't mean it's better.

But I do really like the moving part on the bottom.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Very nice playing!

My only criticism is I think the reverb is a little too much - but only just. I think I detect some subtle chorus too? If you did add that (if it's not my imagination!), it's definitely at a tasteful level, but personally I'd prefer it without.

The tone is very nice through my headphones (audiotechnica M50x), maybe a little too bright for my taste, but otherwise spot on. (I know tastes vary for classical guitar recordings, and mine is for fuller-bodied sounds.)
Interestingly the bass is not as prominent through my desktop monitors (M-Audio BX4) - maybe not surprising as they're fairly small! - so it definitely sounds better through the headphones.

I don't have feelings either way about the idea of a "Critique Corner", because I never visit the Show and Tell, and if I post my own playing online it's more likely to be on my own channel, and I'm not concerned about feedback. If I was, I think this forum would be the ideal place (seeing as looks like it would get lost over on Show and Tell, with "critique welcome" in the title - as you've done.
Thanks Jon, much appreciated.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2024, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So yeah, not a mistake at all, just a different arrangement.

If you get a chance, compare yours to this...this is how I learned it but that doesn't mean it's better.

But I do really like the moving part on the bottom.

That's a good one Jeff. My book has the watered down versions of the pieces

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2024, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Your playing and recorded sound has improved over time and especially more recently. Back some time your playing style sounded tentative to my ear (lot of people play that way).
Now the flow is much better and phrasing meaningful.

A little more attention to legato which IMO is mostly called for by this piece. As a side effect might get less strings squeaks doing that.

Some other pieces might call for careful attention to string damping for impact and clarity - something to keep in mind.

Recorded sound good though I usually prefer less reverb on most tunes.

Oh, also try some more up tempo pieces and see how those go.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 04-26-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Your playing and recorded sound has improved over time and especially more recently. Back some time your playing style sounded tentative to my ear (lot of people play that way).
Now the flow is much better and phrasing meaningful.

A little more attention to legato which IMO is mostly called for by this piece. As a side effect might get less strings squeaks doing that.

Some other pieces might call for careful attention to string damping for impact and clarity - something to keep in mind.

Recorded sound good though I usually prefer less reverb on most tunes.

Oh, also try some more up tempo pieces and see how those go.
Thanks Derek!

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2024, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Hi Barry,
Good work. I think your classical playing is making some excellent progress.

Some improvement suggestions:
The tempo could be notched up a little. That would make it flow or “sing” (since it is an Aria) even better.
I also hear those missing notes Jeff was alluding to. I found a transcription of the piece, although it’s not Willard’s. I have a lot of Willard transcriptions, and he’s not one to leave important stuff out. I’m surprised that he missed the ones in measure 2. They help smooth out or pave the transition from the E to the C chord.
Also, have a look at the first notes of measures 5 and 9. It sounds like you’re playing the first bass note E in measure 5 as a quarter note. It should be an even 1/8th note sequence. And in measure 9, the Willard cadence sounded a little choppy. I think it’s because it starts, at least according to this score, with a very important 1/8 note “pick-up” to the top 1/4 note F. That little note sets up what follows next, i.e. the 1/4 note melody and bass lines in more syncopated fashion.
Lastly, in one of the measures, maybe number 7, you seem to play a dotted rhythm sequence which sets it apart from the way it plays as straight 1/8ths, as in this score. That one dotted sequence throws the ear off a little.

But that is subjective of course. If you could take a shot of the Aria in Willard’s book we could compare it. I would be curious to see how he went about transcribing it, because the one I found below sounds even easier than the one you have.

Anyway, hope this helps. Keep up the good work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aria- J. Logy.jpg (35.3 KB, 88 views)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-26-2024, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Andre, much appreciated!

Here's a shot of the score.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aria.jpg (19.3 KB, 75 views)

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-26-2024, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thanks Andre, much appreciated!

Here's a shot of the score.
Thanks for posting.
OK, I see that it validates your take on it, as you are playing it true to your score. The one I posted does indeed differ from yours in those measures I brought up.
The only area where both scores agree is the beginning of measure 9, with that pick-up note. Give that a try. I think it'll help to smooth out the cadence better.
Other than that, all systems go and play what sounds best to you.
(Very often I'll do that if I'm trying to learn a piece, i.e. get different versions of it to see how they compare. Often times, the version I end up with is a combination of various sources.)

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-26-2024, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Thanks for posting.
OK, I see that it validates your take on it, as you are playing it true to your score. The one I posted does indeed differ from yours in those measures I brought up.
The only area where both scores agree is the beginning of measure 9, with that pick-up note. Give that a try. I think it'll help to smooth out the cadence better.
Other than that, all systems go and play what sounds best to you.
(Very often I'll do that if I'm trying to learn a piece, i.e. get different versions of it to see how they compare. Often times, the version I end up with is a combination of various sources.)
Thanks Andre. I do the same as you with some pieces.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write