The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2024, 10:23 AM

I've had a bunch of Alvarez guitars over the years . I have the MD60BG that I got before the price hikes , I like it I removed the pickguard and probably put a k&k in it . . I'm done with import "acoustic" guitars . I'm gonna get a Guild D55 in 2024 . I also want a J45 and D18 or D28 too . Something about the American classics and I've never owned one .
Old 01-06-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
I've had a bunch of Alvarez guitars over the years . I have the MD60BG that I got before the price hikes , I like it I removed the pickguard and probably put a k&k in it . . I'm done with import "acoustic" guitars . I'm gonna get a Guild D55 in 2024 . I also want a J45 and D18 or D28 too . Something about the American classics and I've never owned one .
I thought the same thing, and a couple years ago bought a Martin 000-28 Custom. I ended up returning it because it didn't sound or play better than my Alvarez 000 (MF75), and cost eight times more. On the other hand, my Alvarez-Yairi FYM66HD is a game changer (and still cost less than that Martin).
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 01-07-2024, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

I've been following the Laureate announcement with some anticipation - I own two Alvarez's - well, one Alvarez MFA (om) and a Yairi WY1ts. Alvarez is making some great guitars in the Masterworks line, and the Artist line is also a well-established bang-for-buck instrument line, so I am really interested in the Laureates. Here, we have one shop who cares about Alvarez upper lines (sort of), and I am hoping they will get one in soon enough (not sure if the Sweetwater arrangement is exclusive, though).

I have no doubt these instruments are stellar, as has been my experience with Alvarez's. But I am curious as to why the bridge was changed, and it has been marketed as a big change. Alvarez and Yairi have been promoting the bi-level bridge for many years, touting its more pure tone, better string tension, etc. And I get it. I know this new design is a nod to 'traditional' looks - but does this mean the bi-level bridge is not quite as revolutionary as marketed? In other words, if the tone is not affected by the new bridge, then why all the years of the bi-level stuff?

In any case, I am looking forward to trying out the new Laureate series, and I have no reservations to getting an import - between the Yamahas, Alvarez's, RKs, etc, too many great values out there to ignore - so I am already lining up some pennies - just in case....

ymmv.

Last edited by brancher; 01-08-2024 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

brancher - The bi-level bridge was engineered decades ago by one luthier who perfected it and it was carried on by Yairi and Alvarez. It did and still does what it was designed to do. However, times change and aesthetically many people do not like the look of those bridges. My guess is, for this new series at the price point they are asking, they wanted this series to be appealing to a large number of prospective buyers. Like I said, just a hunch on my part.
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-07-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
brancher - The bi-level bridge was engineered decades ago by one luthier who perfected it and it was carried on by Yairi and Alvarez. It did and still does what it was designed to do. However, times change and aesthetically many people do not like the look of those bridges. My guess is, for this new series at the price point they are asking, they wanted this series to be appealing to a large number of prospective buyers. Like I said, just a hunch on my part.
Best,
Jayne
I gotta agree with Jayne here. That bridge does it's job very well but it isn't to everyone liking aesthetically. I don't have a problem with it but I can see where some could. It's on my Yairi DYM60HD and I like it quite a lot.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-07-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLine View Post
I thought the same thing, and a couple years ago bought a Martin 000-28 Custom. I ended up returning it because it didn't sound or play better than my Alvarez 000 (MF75), and cost eight times more. On the other hand, my Alvarez-Yairi FYM66HD is a game changer (and still cost less than that Martin).
I wanna start by saying I've played many more Martin dreads that I liked better than Alvarez dreads, but...I have a very unique MDBG60 that I adore. It's extremely "punchy" and "lively," and you'd swear the bass and midrange strings had springs in them! It's such a remarkable example of what scalloped/forward X-bracing can offer. I recently stacked it against a D-35...and I was very surprised by how quiet the Martin sounded next to it, especially in the bass. The D-35 was a great guitar though. It had a slightly richer tone, I would say, while the Alvarez had a "drier" tone, if that makes sense. But the D-35 just didn't have the same "spring" and "liveliness."

Unfortunately, it's the only MDBG60 I've ever played that sounded like that, and I play every single one I see. There was one MDBG70 that sounded really good, but it didn't have that "lively, energetic" thing going on.

So Alvarez can get it right. REALLY get it right for only $800! I just wish they could be more consistent in their output. And, yes, all guitar manufacturers have consistency issues, but some do better than others.

And as for the bi-level bridge, I love it. Excellent break angle on the strings
Old 01-07-2024, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

You know, don't tempt me ;-) I love the look of the parlor guitars in this lineup, as well as the others. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I had recently gotten a Taylor 110 c/e s, I would drop money for the Alvarez parlor in this lineup and ditch the Taylor in a heartbeat.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:27 PM

Default Alvarez Laureate Series

At the guitar store I frequent the sales people are highly complimentary of the Alvarez guitars. But, I think price enters into the equation more than they are willing to admit. Their guitars below $1000 are great. I've played their higher end guitars from Japan and they are high quality good sounding instruments. They have the sound profile favored by Japanese builders. I'd like to give this series a play. I suspect it will be a good sounding and playing instrument. At that price, I suspect they are giving Eastman a run for their money.

All of that said, I don't think the Alvarez guitars I played compare favorably to Martin standard series and above.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-07-2024 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I gotta agree with Jayne here. That bridge does it's job very well but it isn't to everyone liking aesthetically. I don't have a problem with it but I can see where some could. It's on my Yairi DYM60HD and I like it quite a lot.
Sure, I don't disagree at all - I really like the bi-level bridge on the Yaris, and the ones on the Alvarez (the one-piece) are fine as well. Just curious about the change -- J is right - in the end, you gotta appeal to the targeted folks (like us) and put something out there that returns your investment.

Anyway, enough religious discussion about bridges - I am very much looking forward to giving these a try.... If anyone comes across one, let us know in a review!

As usual, ymmv.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

So these are only available through Sweetwater?

Old 01-08-2024, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
So these are only available through Sweetwater?
You got me, but for sure Sweetwater will get the first few slugs…. I was just working w my MFA70 this morning, such a nice instrument….

The other thing is, there’s been a few upgrades to the masterworks line as well. My Masterworks elite folk model – my MFA70, and there are others as well. This year, For example, they brought Rosewood in and they have a “custom” models now in dreadnought cutaway, things like that. And now the Laureate series…. All great additions to the lineup. I’d expect a demand, So I am sure Sweetwater has the capital and logistics to handle it. Maybe a good deal for both!.

A long way from my old Alvarez from the 70s………

My hat is off to Alvarez for taking this risk!
Old 01-08-2024, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone heard any audio/video of the Laureate? I can't find any...

Old 01-08-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

All of that said, I don't think the Alvarez guitars I played compare favorably to Martin standard series and above.
Alvarez Yairi do compare, though. For sure.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 01-08-2024, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I have three Adirondack/Mahogany dreads. Martin CS D-18GE, Boucher Studio Goose (SG-42) Master Grade, and Yairi DYM60HD. They sound nothing alike...each with their own voice. I love them all for that very reason. There are some similarities but more disparity than you might think.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:55 PM

As you can see from my sig, I have an Alvarez or two.
It seems the Laureate will slot between the Masterworks and the Yairi Standard guitars.
My Masterworks is older, and I believe better than the current generation.
That said the current Masterworks is no slouch.
I have two old Professional series that would have slotted between the Artist and the Masterworks.
One was in dire need of restoration when it came to me. And it is a great guitar.
The other one is stellar. And even being Solid Spruce with a solid Rosewood back, it’s the lightest guitar I’ve owned. And it is very close to my MD70 in buiild, tone, and playability.

While I’m excited to see Alvarez going above and beyond, I’m trepidatious as I’ve experienced the goodness of the Artist series, and the Professional series and the Masterworks series.

They are so very close to the guitars “above” them that I fear that the “lesser
“ guitars will edge them out by being less expensive, and only about a frog hair less good.

I was told, ten years ago by a local Alvarez dealer that he stopped carrying the Masterworks guitars because folks would come in, play the Artists and Masterworks back to back, and go home with the less expensive guitar because it was so close, for substantially less money.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion