The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-27-2024, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Right hand embellishments

In the current piece I'm working on:

https://on.soundcloud.com/Gu6Rj

I'm trying to find different right hand techniques and other embellishments to bring it out.

Any recommendations on sources for tutorials / lessons on those?
Old 04-27-2024, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Is that some melody from an existing piece you are using or something you created from scratch? Many options from the latter case and still a number from the former case.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-27-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Is that some melody from an existing piece you are using or something you created from scratch? Many options from the latter case and still a number from the former case.
It's an existing piece. Sagreras Nostalgia. I like much of what Matthew McAllister is doing here in his version of it.

https://youtu.be/OqN59ReJIUI?si=iffneJ2nB8Ge_FII

He is using a few techniques there that I'm looking for the names of and then tutorials. And then just general tutorials.

Some of the techniques I'm not familiar with are at approximately 0:06 0:08 and 0:28 in that version.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
It's an existing piece. Sagreras Nostalgia. I like much of what Matthew McAllister is doing here in his version of it.

https://youtu.be/OqN59ReJIUI?si=iffneJ2nB8Ge_FII

He is using a few techniques there that I'm looking for the names of and then tutorials. And then just general tutorials.

Some of the techniques I'm not familiar with are at approximately 0:06 0:08 and 0:28 in that version.
Those are string "pull-offs" and or "hammer-ons" which are very commonly used. Check out youtube using those terms
and you will find several examples in words and videos about using them.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-27-2024, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Those are string "pull-offs" and or "hammer-ons" which are very commonly used. Check out youtube using those terms
and you will find several examples in words and videos about using them.
I'm very familiar with pull offs and hammer ons. Hmm. I was fixating on the right hand as I thought it was sounding like Rasguedo or similar and couldn't tell what he was doing but now looking at the left hand in 1/4 speed I think you might be right that it is a rapid hammer on pull off. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Guess I was a victim of my teachers focus that classical generally doesn't mess with the left hand and the actual notes as what he's doing there isn't in the actual score. That and my own ability to over complicate things instead of looking for the basics.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-27-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:15 PM

You could check out Dusan Bogdanovic's YT channel for ideas. He is really able to "make it talk" through a combination of RH and LH articulations. Wonderfully vocal playing, and his
Introduction, Passacaglia, and Fugue is to me one of the finest things that's been written for the guitar- esp the Passacaglia.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
You could check out Dusan Bogdanovic's YT channel for ideas. He is really able to "make it talk" through a combination of RH and LH articulations. Wonderfully vocal playing, and his

Introduction, Passacaglia, and Fugue is to me one of the finest things that's been written for the guitar- esp the Passacaglia.
Thanks checking it out now. Came across his intro to the guitar by masters channel which looks to have some nice close up work showing a break down of both hands on some great performances.

His performance technique is indeed brilliant. Do you have any favorites of his videos?
Old 04-27-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Thanks checking it out now. Came across his intro to the guitar by masters channel which looks to have some nice close up work showing a break down of both hands on some great performances.

His performance technique is indeed brilliant. Do you have any favorites of his videos?
Setting aside the video production values, his 1990 performance of the piece I mentioned
suits me. I mainly know his CD recordings, esp the ones on the M-A label (superb sound!),
and one on GSP 'Mysterious Habitats', which is worth tracking down. GSP also publishes
much of Dusan's well-notated sheet music.

Adding: 'Yano Mori' is a gorgeously pensive, slow and melodic piece. If you search "Yano Mori Brussels Guitar Lab" I think you'll find a good 2021 video of Dusan playing it. Sorry I can't provide a link atm.

Last edited by Carey; 04-27-2024 at 08:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical