The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2015, 06:48 AM

Default Macmarr (MacKenzie & Marr)... anybody own one?

I have been participating on AGF for 5 years, so it surprises me when I hear of a guitar that I never heard of. I heard about these yesterday from a buddy, and I went to the website... read the whole thing. Intriguing on several levels... looks like a great value.

There was a thread that started here 5 years ago that is now a very interesting read... it starts in 2010 super negative and skeptical... it ends in 2014 with some pretty nice comments and the manufacturer participating in a positive way. Here it is: http://lnk.splashurl.com/1NvD (sorry for the "splash" link conversion... how do I get rid of that?)

Does anyone here own a Macmarr guitar? Feedback?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 01-26-2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I own the Tom Rush Naked Lady model. Play it more than my 49 yr old Martin D-18. I would not hesitate to purchase from them again.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:13 PM

I am interested in the tonal quality and response. The cedar top will give something quite different in comparison to spruce. Also, I don't know what they do with bracing that varies from the tone we associate with Martin, Gibson. I wonder if these capture the character of the Irish steel strings... Lowden, McIlroy, Avalon... that combination of bracing and cedar.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:47 AM

I don't mean to be a pesky thread bumper, but I am becoming more interested in these MacKenzie & Marr guitars. Anybody else own one that can comment on your experience?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

They do have an excellent 7 day no questions asked return policy. It may be the only way you'll know for sure if it speaks to you as the likelyhood of finding a used one to play first is very slim.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 AM

I haven't heard anything about them since they appeared on Dragon's Den a few years ago.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 01-27-2015, 05:30 AM

Hi John,

I was hoping you would see this thread and jump in. Your quote above is very powerful stuff. Very nice updated website you guys have produced, it appears the pace of business is picking up steam for you.

I know some of those Macmarr owners are here on AGF, I keep hoping some of them will comment on their experience working with you.

I have a request for you. How about getting some more videos online, especially comparison videos with guitars that have a tonal character similar to Macmarr. It is pretty hard to take the leap and buy an aural & tactile product based on narrative description.

EDIT: I did just find this, another vid of Tom Rush on his Naked Lady... this really helps, surprisingly great sounding cedar top with strong rhythm playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sdsGwRrhbQ ... and another that better captures the character of cedar over rosewood, very celtic as I would have expected: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hvF_Ggt_ck

BD

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-04-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Can't get enough

I purchased one of these guitars about 3 years ago. The costumer service was top notch; they are great communicators. I was, of course, a little sceptical of buying without first trying, but the 7 day love it or return it policy gave me a boost of confidence.
I've been playing a Seagull S6 for the last 20 years and I was looking to upgrade but I was not anxious to part with $4K. So this seemed like a reasonable risk. It was completely worth every penny. The M&M (Dionisio) has a much clearer/fuller/richer sound when compared to my Seagull. The better sound is not just noticeable, but very obvious. The M&M makes me want to play more often. I am so impressed with the whole experience, that I just ordered a second guitar from them (The Tom Rush-Naked Lady). You really can't go wrong with these guys.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:51 PM

I have one of the Ian Tyson (Signature edition - #149 of 250) guitars which is no longer available - it's a great guitar - competes with my D-18 for my attention - I've had it 4-5 years with no issues - I've been using D'Addario Lights (EJ16's) on it - sounds super
Old 06-15-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabart View Post
I have one of the Ian Tyson (Signature edition - #149 of 250) guitars which is no longer available - it's a great guitar - competes with my D-18 for my attention - I've had it 4-5 years with no issues - I've been using D'Addario Lights (EJ16's) on it - sounds super
Ian Tyson owned #1 of the edition, but evidently traded it away.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=282567
Old 06-16-2022, 02:15 AM

Looks like they are nice guitars, but I'm guessing they would be very difficult to unload if one ever needed to downsize,

Unfortunately one starts to think about those sorts of things as one gets on in years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
chinese guitar, macmarr, offshore guitar