The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: how long do they last for you?
1-2 months 33 22.60%
3-4 months 57 39.04%
5-7 months 30 20.55%
8-10 months 7 4.79%
11-13 months 9 6.16%
14+ months 10 6.85%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2024, 09:20 AM

elixir users: how often do you change your strings?

Hey, another 'Lazarus' thread resurrected.

When they need it. I have enough guitars that there is no set interval. They just tell me, but for many of my guitars it may be a year or so. I use Elixirs on most of my guitars.

My favorite 6 string gauge is PB HD Light gauge, {.013 - .053}, which I use on many of my six string guitars provided they like it. Includes large body Jumboes and Grand Orchestra to smaller body Grand Concerts. I also use D'Addario XS on occasion, especially on my Guild 12 string guitars.

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don

(_o)===###

06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 04-26-2024, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Love these old threads that resurface, from time to time...

On my 6 string, I change Elixirs ~4-6 months; with my 12 strings, it is not uncommon for me to have the Elixirs on there for over a year, sometimes pushing two years!

I've had Elixirs on two different electric guitars that stay on for well over 4 years... and counting! The electric strings really age well, without the coating that shreds where my pick and/or fingernails hit the strings.

I do not change them just because there's a bit of discoloration over the soundhole where I pick... cosmetics don't mean a thing to me. When I start having to tune more frequently, when they don't want to hold pitch or when there are intonation issues, I change 'em.

Typically, I use either the Nanoweb phosphor bronze or the 80-20's, light gauge (12-53), depending upon the guitar. Currently, my Goodall Concert Jumbo (German spruce over Honduran rosewood) just LOVES those 80-20's, while my 1983 Angus 12 strings (Black Forest German spruce over Indian rosewood) is happiest with the phosphor bronze Nanowebs (also 12-53).

Although I haven't "played out" since the onset of the pandemic - got real sick and am still "coming back" from that - I still have the mindset of a professional, and there are many times when I look at the strings (where they discolor) and tell myself, "Come on! Change your darned strings! You're a pro!"...

And then I play the guitar and love the way it sounds and feels, and I sigh... and put my "good idea" back on the shelf!

Truth is, when I was gigging a lot? I'd change strings every week before Elixirs came out...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM

I have never changed Elixirs because they sounded bad. And sometimes this is 6-12 months after I put them on. I only changed them to try something different.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

With 20+ guitars, I have to use coated strings. I buy about 70 sets every Black Friday Sale (the Friday after Thanksgiving for our EU friends). I have all guitars on a 4 month schedule so 3x/yr I have a big Saturday morning and string all guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion