The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 AM

Everything Martin Simpson has done. But especially his Cool and Unusual CD. Amazing
Old 11-10-2013, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Neil's Rust

Definitely first stand out acoustic guitar motivation for me was Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust -- I think they came out at the same time (I think Rust Never Sleeps was an attempt to recut only the new material into something that passed as studio recording). But it was my real introduction to Neil Young, who early on was the master of the whole "unplugged" thing before Clapton made it a hip MTV thing (meaning Young can play the same thing electric or acoustic, bring out the best in both while making them both awesome and unique).

In particular I remember Sugar Mountain, though that of course is actually one of his earliest original compositions and quite possibly his simplest strummers and not nearly as interesting guitar wise as some of his other stuff. BUT, the whole (thematic) tone of the album, rock done on an acoustic guitar, back when I was dedicated to thrashing pre-metal, Zeppelins and arena rockers, really stood out to me and opened doors to many of the others already mentioned. Even though I didn't buy a decent acoustic guitar until many years later, I got a cheap one and our college garage band would strum out a second set opener of a mellow Out of the Blue, followed immediately by a thrashing Into the Black, which was hit and miss, and occasionally disastrous due to drinking half a keg during the first set. At least that's what I was told. Still love to play a lot of those tunes and just learned another easy one from Rust, Pocahontas. if I learn Ride my Llama I think I could play the whole album (material is easy, though not always easy to recreate that Neil vibe).
Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 AM

Gordon Lightfoot's Don't Beat Me Down from 1968's "Back Here on Earth"

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-45TV (2011)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I guess I came to guitar in a different way from the OP, in that no song in particular did it.
I have to say this is my thing as well......

I really loved some acoustic stuff like Dylan, Neil Young, and even Boston, but there was no defining moment. I was first and foremost an electric fan, early on.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 AM

Easy, watch the Dave Matthews live at Radio City on YouTube. Many of you will overlook this because either you aren't a Dave Matthews fan or just never heard of him. Watch a few or his songs of that radio city live on YouTube. It made me realize what only two guys could do on acoustic. It is phenomenal.

Most of the time we watch what people can do in a band. It is just Dave and Tim Reynolds jamming on their Martin acoustics, just like us.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:47 AM

The Boxer, S & G.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesyRob View Post
Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen. I first heard it on done by the Chipmunks when I was 6 on a record called "Chipmunk Punk." I just always loved the mellow D/Dsus4 on the intro.

On a side note, great electric solo in that song too!
The only track that Queen guitarist Brian May didn`t use his homemade `special`, he used a Gibson Les Paul.
I can`t remember any one specific track that ever lead me to acoustic guitar but I do remember hearing Will Ackerman `The Impending Death Of The Virgin Spirit` and how it probably let me be even more introvert in my own playing style.
I always thought it was a telecaster he used on the solo, it certainly sounds like a sc pup guitar...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Dave Van Ronk, Cocaine Blues.
I always preferred Sally to Millie. Just a slight difference between the two.
max
Old 11-10-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anohaakten View Post
Easy, watch the Dave Matthews live at Radio City on YouTube. Many of you will overlook this because either you aren't a Dave Matthews fan or just never heard of him. Watch a few or his songs of that radio city live on YouTube. It made me realize what only two guys could do on acoustic. It is phenomenal.

Most of the time we watch what people can do in a band. It is just Dave and Tim Reynolds jamming on their Martin acoustics, just like us.
I've got a live CD set with these two playing. Brilliant musicians!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:30 PM

Knew I loved the acoustic guitar when I heard recordings of Maybelle Carter, "Engine 143," Woody Guthrie, "Roll On Columbia," and Jimmie Rodgers, "Blue Yodel No. 1 (T for Texas)." Nearly fifty years later I heard Norman Blake and realized how far I had yet to go -- but still in love with that wooden box with six strings.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Wow folks... a lot of great songs .. i didn't know a lot of them... great stuff.. especially the Dave Matthews live show..
Old 11-10-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco7 View Post
Just wondering... for me it was Paul Simon in this version of American Tune... wonderful i think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE3kKUEY5WU
Songbird - Eva Cassidy Listen to the guitar solo midway.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM

started playing electric in the 70's . Santana's Samba Pa Ti got me hooked. Always had an acoustic around to strum but it was not until I saw Ulli Boergershausen play Hit The Road Jack on you tube that the possibilities of fingerstyle struck me. I can't sing and I always figured acoustic was for accompanying vocalists. On the other had I play mostly lead on electric and need a band or backing tracks. Viola, fingerstyle acoustic- all in one!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Fire and Rain in 1971
Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Gordon Lightfoot's Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Sunday Concert LP). I was hooked. It is still one of my favourite songs to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion