The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
If so, what’s the guitar and why are you trying to keep from buying it?...
I'd need to unload a couple pieces of my existing stock in relatively short order - we're looking to relocate and I have enough stuff as it is - but if I can do so I might just go for it...

As to the guitar itself I'd rather not say, other than that it's something I've been after for a good few years with no success, priced right, and in very high demand among a certain type of player...
Old 08-18-2021, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

A nice 12 fret slope shoulder dreadnought. The thought has infected my mind.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:52 AM

Been thinking about a Gretsch A/E resonator. Having the ability to plug in would make it easier to use in the band. But how often would we use it? One more piece of equipment to lug to a gig and find a place to put it on an already crowded set. Would we use it for 5-6 songs? Or just 1? Can't make up my mind.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:16 AM

For a year and a half, I battled the desire to get a Collings 01 T, either 14 or 12 fret ... lost he battle last February.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I'm traveling soon and in the region I'll be in is a Martin Sinker Mahogany OM with Ambertone top. I won't buy without playing it, but it's got my deep interest. It will have to be as special as some report, and if not I'll pass. So I don't know if I'm wishing for it to be "special" or kinda hoping it isn't.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

These days it’s more about talking my self into a purchase, and I’m not even giving it a good effort. Anything I play does not sound better then what I have. If it does it’s most likely more then I’m willing to spend for just a small bit of extra wow.

So for now my wow levels are maintained with the current herd, and perhaps saturated
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-18-2021, 11:27 AM

I've got two. I just missed out on a Gruhn-Era Guild GF. There's another Guild I want, and would love to have, but it's not "THE" guitar I want most. So I am holding off.

There's also a specific and kind of rare (but not expensive) Telecaster I've always wanted. There's one for sale locally, and it's reasonable. But I don't need it at all. I could "upgrade" my Squier Strat, but I have enjoyed playing that one, and it is dirt cheap, so the value is off the chain.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:22 PM

I would really like to get a nice archtop acoustic guitar. I've had my eye on a few and a few of them are at a price point where I don't feel responsible paying that amount when other issues at the house need addressing. So, I've kinda talked myself out of those. I did make an offer on a '57 Epiphone Zenith that had been on Reverb for a while. It had sold a while before that but the seller forgot to remove the ad.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 08-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Lately, I tell myself every night and every morning "Do not go to Guitar Center today". One of the local Guitar Centers has a 000-18 and a 000-28 with an Adirondack top in stock. I know I want one of them. I get worried every time I get in the truck.
Tomorrow I head back to Dallas from San Leon, TX. This particular Guitar Center is between me and home. Dangerous trip. Feel well rested by weak due to GAS.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If so, what’s the guitar and why are you trying to keep from buying it?

In my case it’s a Martin 000-28 with an Ambertone finish top that I played and fell in love with. I have the funds to pay for it, but I’m trying to avoid getting yet another guitar when I have fine ones here that aren’t getting played enough.

Man, it’s a great-sounding guitar, though.

How about you? What dream guitar is sitting within your grasp but you’re fighting valiantly to avoid buying?

Just curious.

Wade Hampton Miller

For me, it’s the same guitar that’s calling your name. We’re traveling, so I actually had the opportunity to play this guitar (not the norm for me because of where I live). I’m resisting-so far!
Old 08-22-2021, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Not a guitar but a mandolin. Been playing some with a guy doing fiddle tunes, etc. and thought a mando would be a nice asset to the sound. I started out playing violin in school and guitar for 60+ years so should be able to get some music out of it fairly quickly. Been looking at 'F's' and 'A's' in the under $500 range and will probably go with either a Kentucky or Eastman 'A' model but the Loar doesn't look bad either for the money. Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
I am trying to keep myself from going on a long road trip to try out a guitar that has a lot of things that currently aren't in my guitarsenal:
  • Slope shouldered dreadnought
  • Short scale
  • European Spruce top
  • Sunburst finish
All of those would be a first for me, and I'm primarily a percussive strummer to go along with my limited singing skills, and I think that body and scale length would suit that play style. My two dreads definitely do, but I'm very curious about the short scale which would are friendlier to my hand size (I'm not a big guy and I have normal sized hands for my frame).
I've been there and clearly you have thought about this. I'd go.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:40 PM

Too late!!, I tried to stop myself. But... since these were recently listed as discontinued on the manufacturer's website, and no stores had any for months Then last week I get an email from Sweetwater, and like a zombie, it arises from the dead. There are now more on the market, so I said I'm not missing out this time, and I nabbed one before they really are gone and discontinued for real. Of course I'm talking about the Guild D1212, and I just did a NGD thread on it I also got to pick my guitar at Sweetwater, so I combed through the photos and compared all the models they had and snagged the one that resonated the most with me. Very exciting.
1998 Guild F4ce
2005 Guild D55
Old 08-22-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Not a guitar but a mandolin. Been playing some with a guy doing fiddle tunes, etc. and thought a mando would be a nice asset to the sound. I started out playing violin in school and guitar for 60+ years so should be able to get some music out of it fairly quickly. Been looking at 'F's' and 'A's' in the under $500 range and will probably go with either a Kentucky or Eastman 'A' model but the Loar doesn't look bad either for the money. Any suggestions?
They’re all fine, though in person I generally find the Eastman mandolins to be the most impressive.

whm
Old 08-22-2021, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If so, what’s the guitar and why are you trying to keep from buying it?

In my case it’s a Martin 000-28 with an Ambertone finish top that I played and fell in love with. I have the funds to pay for it, but I’m trying to avoid getting yet another guitar when I have fine ones here that aren’t getting played enough.

Man, it’s a great-sounding guitar, though.

How about you? What dream guitar is sitting within your grasp but you’re fighting valiantly to avoid buying?

Just curious.

Wade Hampton Miller
In my experience, there are simply too many excellent/superb/wonderful instruments available these days, regardless of the focused desires/needs/hopes of the purchaser/player. This is a nice problem to have.

I've passed on many instruments over the years, and I have also succumb to many others. It's an entirely subjective choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion