The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2024, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

"Guitarget" does such a booming business that they can absorb the impact of fully refunding returns (up to 45 days). Evolving from an organ company, they became Guitar Center in 1970 or so. I'm guessing they'd have gone under decades ago if returns were hurting them.

I once bought a 3-channel Marshall tube amp there that sounded pretty good in the store. But I didn't feel comfy taking a full-on 20-30-minute test-drive at rock band stage volume in the showroom.

Bought it, took it home and evaluated it with my 3-4 favorite gigging guitars and (8) pedal board. Meh. Didn't even have to take it to band practice or gig it.

Channel-1 had a sweet bluesy cry (so I get why Jonny Lang likes his). 2 was hoarse and raspy (not a big fan of 12AX7 tube "manufactured" distortion). And 3 sounded like a 100dB trash can. Useless for me and impossible to switch to that one without having to manually re-adjust everything way down. Took it back in brand new condition and got a full refund. I would've resented coughing up a "restock" fee.

I typically ask if a company does that. And a "yes" answer sometimes surfaces like an awkward admission, making me glad that I took the initiative to ask before buying. IMHO, a restock fee should be clearly communicated/advertised/announced. Stumbling into such a policy somewhere in the fine-print after the fact would chafe my nether-regions.

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-08-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:59 PM

Got to have a restocking fee or the internet tirekickers will drive you out of business.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Though I don't sell guitars, in my business there's the matter of handling, fees, time spend on the sale, return, inspection, etc. One important reason for a re-stocking fee is that there will often be small blemishes. Sometimes, these are to the extent that it affects your resale. You might say, "charge them for the damage", but if you confront every customer about a small thing they didn't even know they did to the guitar, you will lose business and they will think you are scamming them. I've bought enough "like new" used guitars from people on this forum to know that many people don't see flaws that are very clear to others. A re-stocking fee helps make up for the ones that need to be discounted.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I ordered a very hard to get guitar about 15 or so years ago from a dealer and I was able to get a 7 day trial period with a 3% restocking fee. The guitar ended up not having either the tone or the feel that I was looking for at the time. The dealer that I went through was a small shop and I could understand why their policy was in place. I never did it again but as long as it is all spelled out, folks can decide if they want to take the risk.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-08-2024, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I understand the restocking fee, but I feel like it should based on purchase history. If you've purchased a lot from a certain store and the guitar comes back in perfect condition i don't think you should have to pay anything but shipping both ways.
^^ I'm with Jon on this one. If you have a history with the store and they know you're not an abuser, any restock fee should be waved. That's just good salesmanship.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

A guitar that's ordered, paid for, delivered, played for a few days, and then returned for no other reason than the purchaser 'doesn't like it' - i.e. it isn't faulty in any way - is second-hand/used goods. Why should the dealer take a hit when he has to mark it down? Under those circumstances its perfectly reasonable morally, and good business practice, for the person returning the guitar to be required to compensate the dealer - at least partially, if not fully - for the reduction in the sales value of what has become a used instrument.

It's a different story if the guitar is returned as defective of course, and a full refund (including the cost of return shipping) should be due.

IMHO. YMMV.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-08-2024, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Agree, and think most merchants would agree to that scenario with a good relationship and discussion beforehand.
I've been offered that option in the past...if the retailer thinks you're a good prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
^^ I'm with Jon on this one. If you have a history with the store and they know you're not an abuser, any restock fee should be waved. That's just good salesmanship.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:49 AM

Ive seen it. Customer has a guitar sent in with 100% interest. Plays it for 3 hours in a store. Buys it. Then returns a week later. Then loses his percentage off the purchase price. In most cases that why stores have rentals. So they can be tried out So a restocking fee is not a bad thing. Most cases. Its clearly posted at the counter.
Gibson SJ200
1931 L00
1937 L30
1910 F4
1911 Style U
2022 J45
2011 J185
1957 Hofner Club50
Old 04-08-2024, 08:21 AM

Restocking Fees…. Your opinions?

Positive:
As long as the actual fee is communicated in advance of purchase, I see no moral reason why one should not be charged. Except when a product doesn't function as it should and a full refund should be given. Or maybe a rental with option to buy kind of thing should be worked out.

Negative:
Hidden fees are not fair. Neither are exorbitant fees.

Allowances should be made for used versus new product. Also for frequent customers without frequent returns.

Cost of fee can/should-be be a factor. Especially for used guitars.

Over the years I have returned 0 guitars. I make an effort to give them a good workout before they follow me home. I do have a few regrets for various reasons, but none the fault of the seller. Maybe just that I (and/or my ears) have changed.

I have ever only bought 1 guitar sight unseen and sound unheard. And I am still more than happy about that purchase (from a member).

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 04-08-2024 at 08:30 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 04-08-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I have witnessed a big, well know shop selling returned guitars as new. I recently saw this happen on a 000-42MD that a buddy of mine returned due to intonation issues. Within a few days the guitar was back up for sale as new and it sold. I don’t want to drop the shop in the grease as I was not the original buyer, but I would not ever buy from this store again.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-08-2024, 09:08 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I have witnessed a big, well know shop selling returned guitars as new. I recently saw this happen on a 000-42MD that a buddy of mine returned due to intonation issues. Within a few days the guitar was back up for sale as new and it sold. I don’t want to drop the shop in the grease as I was not the original buyer, but I would not ever buy from this store again.
Returned items can be resold as new (depending on prevailing laws) if there are no known defects (i.e., it wasn't returned as damaged). I'm not sure intonation being off is a defect, per say. It is usually correctible as part of a good setup.

I'm sure that's a point that could be argued, though.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMW View Post
A new guitar can in almost all cases still be sold as new, with warranty, if it comes back in the same condition. It is hard to imagine a guitar that has been auditioned for 30-45 days (GC and the like) coming back in that condition, even the frets alone, never mind pick scratches, dings etc. For that reason, we have a 48 hour approval, and any instrument, new or used, can be returned for any reason, as long as it is in the same condition as it went out.

What I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread are the payment processing fees associated with a credit/debit card sale or with financing. These fees can range wildly from 2.5 to almost 10% and THAT is the reason that we have a modest restocking fee for returns. We get hit with those payment processing fees whether the deal sticks or not, and in the boutique guitar realm it can be hundreds of dollars. It isn't meant as a deterrent to buying, it is just understood as a condition of the exchange.

Like others have said, act in good faith, treat the instrument and the dealer with respect. Don't be one of those who "borrows" the instrument for a gig or a session with every intention of returning it, that's just bad mojo. It is the rare occasion that someone truly tries to game the system and get a bunch of fine guitars sent to them with no plans of keeping them, but those folks are out there.
Agreed with everything here.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:50 AM

They are a part of doing online business as is paying return shipping for something you change your mind about or "don't like". Even if a retailer can sell a returned product as new, they will have to check packaging, contents, test the item to make sure it is working properly and returned as shipped. If you want the convenience of on-line shopping, one has to accept the added risks and expenses that come from shopping at home.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Restocking fees and the cost of shipping can certainly keep someone from sending back a guitar they are not sure they like.

- Glenn
Old 04-08-2024, 01:12 PM

Seems like over here in the EU, we're in customer's heaven.

Shipping is free from around 20 €/USD for most dealers (even the smaller ones). Some shops will ship with a return label sticker already included in the box. You have a 14-day trial period for online purchases by law and will get a full refund if you have left no more traces than necessary to try the product out.
Our biggest shop, Thomann, offers these as "B-Stock". I prefer to buy from smaller shops whenever possible.

The downside is that many US-made instruments and accessories are ridicilously overpriced here...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion