The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin D-18 Authentic 1939 Aged - Thoughts?

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play a Martin D-18 Authentic 1939 Aged and needless to say, I was pretty blown away.

The tone was very open, resonant, played in, warm, and beautifully full. The sound filled the room, yet could also be sweet and delicate. Additionally, the mid-range was nicely present, which my ear does not always hear in Martins. This one was balanced, but definitely has the timbre of an old guitar.

The relic finish was well done, in my opinion. I am not a fan of a “processed aging” look but, on this guitar, it simply worked. To me, Martin really captured the vintage vibe and it looks “believable” to my eye.

The neck was fabulous and if you have read any of my other posts, you know that I have very strong preferences. Prior to playing the 1939 Aged, I dismissed all Authentics because of the neck profile - well, no more. In my hands, the neck on this guitar was every bit as comfortable as that on my Collings JLA, which is saying something.

It’s obvious...I really, really liked this guitar. I am now curious as to what other’s experiences are. Would love to hear from the forum.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kh1967; 03-09-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Must have been a great experience. I've not played one but as I understand it, Martin employed the use of a CT-machine (scan) on an actual 1939 example to accurately reproduce the vintage qualities. The example guitar is likely worth $60K, so in that context, $5,500 for the "Authentic" seems like a real bargain.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manothemtns View Post
Must have been a great experience. I've not played one but as I understand it, Martin employed the use of a CT-machine (scan) on an actual 1939 example to accurately reproduce the vintage qualities. The example guitar is likely worth $60K, so in that context, $5,500 for the "Authentic" seems like a real bargain.
I guess that is one way to look at it... Think of all the money saved!

I also heard that about the CT scan - interesting process, for sure. Whatever they did, to my ears, they got it right.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post

I also heard that about the CT scan - interesting process, for sure. Whatever they did, to my ears, they got it right.
I'd love to play one. Am envious!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:04 AM

I believe they did the CT, MRI, and a stress test with dye. And still, no guarantee on tone.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

The results of this process, which I think they’ve done on most Authentic models, is an exact replica of the specific guitar they scanned, as oppose to an exact match to a “blueprint” designs, which could be an aberration:-) Since they were all handmade, they did not have the consistency you see today, where every D18 has the exact same neck carve, so I imagine playing the actual guitar before buying was even more critical.

In the case if the ‘37 D-28 Authentic, they scanned one with what many people consider an unusual neck ... skinny at the nut and full and rounded by the 5th and 7th fret. Took me a while to get used to it, but I don’t think twice about it now because of the killer tone.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 03-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Love the 39' Authentic with the fast, narrower neck. I have only played one, it was an older one.

Once you have more dynamic range with one of these you can play some interesting music. They might not be the best for sing along. But if you control all the tone you can do as you say even fingerstyle music too.

I have gone up the food change in larger dynamic range guitars and it is amazing to play them. I have two large Goodall's. Although in my song circles and performance I much rather have my Gibson's. Narrower nut and 12" radius with yet plenty of tone to sing with. In fact my song circles have never seen my Goodall's, that I have had for 7 plus years. They are more for amazing times alone to just hear what a modern guitar can do. Plus recording. Once you have a larger HD guitar you have other genres and dropped tunings that spawn new playing. That 39' neck is so comfortable, and with all the tone of the dread, that you might surprise yourself with the added sonic depth and volume into new musical territories.

Last edited by tippy5; 03-09-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play a Martin D-18 Authentic 1939 Aged and needless to say, I was pretty blown away.

The tone was very open, resonant, played in, warm, and beautifully full. The sound filled the room, yet could also be sweet and delicate. Additionally, the mid-range was nicely present, which my ear does not always hear in Martins. This one was balanced, but definitely has the timbre of an old guitar.

The relic finish was well done, in my opinion. I am not a fan of a “processed aging” look but, on this guitar, it simply worked. To me, Martin really captured the vintage vibe and it looks “believable” to my eye.

The neck was fabulous and if you have read any of my other posts, you know that I have very strong preferences. Prior to playing the 1939 Aged, I dismissed all Authentics because of the neck profile - well, no more. In my hands, the neck on this guitar was every bit as comfortable as that on my Collings JLA, which is saying something.

It’s obvious...I really, really liked this guitar. I am now curious as to what other’s experiences are. Would love to hear from the forum.

Thanks!
Man this is a timely and interesting post. I too have been thinking about either the D-18A aged or the D-28A aged, but the neck profiles will likely stop me from anything more than thinking about one. The tone of both of these guitars is drop dead awesome.

Kori, I'm assuming you've played examples of the rear-shifted Authentics before, like the non-aged D-18A 1939 and discontinued D-28A 1941, yes? What can you articulate for us in terms of the difference in tone, and more importantly the FEEL of the instrument... neck, responsiveness, string tension when fretting, etc, of the Aged version of the D-18A compared with a normal Authentic?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 03-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Man this is a timely and interesting post. I too have been thinking about either the D-18A aged or the D-28A aged, but the neck profiles will likely stop me from anything more than thinking about one. The tone of both of these guitars is drop dead awesome.

Kori, I'm assuming you've played examples of the rear-shifted Authentics before, like the non-aged D-18A 1939 and discontinued D-28A 1941, yes? What can you articulate for us in terms of the difference in tone, and more importantly the FEEL of the instrument... neck, responsiveness, string tension when fretting, etc, of the Aged version of the D-18A compared with a normal Authentic?
Brendan,

Actually I have not played the others you mentioned. Incorrectly, I assumed the necks would not be a fit for me.

However, the 1939 Aged is spot on. 1 11/16" with a warn carve that fits my hand like it was made for it.

I can tell you that the Aged 1939 that I played, FELT phenomenal. Very loose, resonant, and for me, no adjustment would have been needed and I like a fairly low saddle and lighter tension in feel. This one just hit the mark - played so easily.

Magic. I am not kidding.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 PM

So, you’ve checked every box for purchase, what are you waiting for?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
So, you’ve checked every box for purchase, what are you waiting for?
Ugh..right? I have the green light from my better half but, I want to proceed with caution.

I have played only 1 example and while it was phenomenal, it’s not a small chunk of change. To be smart, I should sell one before buying and that is like asking me to lop off an arm at this point.

Deep breath....inhale...exhale.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I want to proceed with caution.
That means losing the opportunity. That guitar will move.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:26 PM

Time's up...let's see it.

Quote:
Ugh..right? I have the green light from my better half but, I want to proceed with caution.

I have played only 1 example and while it was phenomenal, it’s not a small chunk of change. To be smart, I should sell one before buying and that is like asking me to lop off an arm at this point.

Deep breath....inhale...exhale.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I'm amazed at how many people post about exactly this. Your statement is common and the norm. No other thoughts needed. They are simply the best.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brendan,

Actually I have not played the others you mentioned. Incorrectly, I assumed the necks would not be a fit for me.

However, the 1939 Aged is spot on. 1 11/16" with a warn carve that fits my hand like it was made for it.

I can tell you that the Aged 1939 that I played, FELT phenomenal. Very loose, resonant, and for me, no adjustment would have been needed and I like a fairly low saddle and lighter tension in feel. This one just hit the mark - played so easily.

Magic. I am not kidding.
These are the exact attributes that I look for in a guitar. I also like the deep C carve of the 1939/1941 rear shifted Authentics. The only thing that has stopped me is the 1 11/16 nut, which based on experience, eventually creates a playability issue for me down the road. I'd probably end up having a new nut cut to widen the E-to-e spacing a touch to create the feel of a wider nut guitar in 1st position. Just don't know if I want to bother with all that though.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion