The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Eastman E20 OM-TC neck versus OM-28 Modern Deluxe neck

I am trying to choose between an Eastman E20 OM-TC and a Martin OM-28 Modern Deluxe. Since I own a Martin D-42, I already have a dred and have decided to sell my 2019 Eastman E40D-SB and move to an OM style guitar for finger style.

Both the E20 OM-TC and the OM-28 Modern Deluxe have the torrefied tops that I have been wanting for a very long time. I truly believe the tone of both will be great, and will try to play them in person before I buy, but I may have to resort to having one or the other shipped from another state. And the cost of shipping I can always return the one I do not want - for example from Ted at LA Guitars, John at The Acoustic Shoppe, or Jon Garon at MyFavoriteGuitars.

My question is your take on the neck carves of these two guitars.

I am a big Eastman fan since I purchased my AC422ce. It's tone - while not a Taylor or Martin sound - has its own delightful voice and is as satisfying as my Taylor 814ce DLX at 1/4 the price. I love the necks on these two guitars, and the Modified Low Oval neck on my Martin D42. As we know, the D-42 standard has the High-Performance Taper and so is 2 1/8" at the 12th fret.

Apparently, the Eastman E20 OM-TC is short scale 24.9" and comparable to the Martin 000-28 VTS and has 2 1/8" spacing at the 12th fret. The OM-28 Modern Deluxe on the other hand is 25.4" scale and has the new "Vintage Deluxe" neck with the standard taper and is 2 1/4" at the twelfth fret. I realize there are sonic differences between the short and long scale - but my main concern is playing comfort. T Spoon Phillips has done a wonderful review of both Martin modern deluxe models here: http://onemanz.com/guitar/

When I talked to Ted at LA Guitar I commented about how much I liked the Modified Low Oval neck on my Martin D42 and the Taylor and Eastman neck carves. He thought I might be happier with the Eastman (as opposed to the OM-28 MD) because of the thinner neck profile, which has a similar neck carve to the Modified Low Oval profile. But in the Onemanz review, Mr. Phillips says that the neck on the OM-28 Modern Deluxe is the most comfortable neck he has ever played.

What is your take on the perhaps thinner neck of the Eastman versus the modern vintage neck of the Martin?

Tom
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
68 Blond Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Sigmadevotee; 07-18-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM

I think Ted is right. So, I would play them both to the best of your ability. The modern deluxe neck is a different animal. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. I also think the Eastman neck is very comfortable.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM

I bet the tone on your Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe is delectible!
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
68 Blond Fender Telecaster
Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmadevotee View Post
I bet the tone on your Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe is delectible!

I’ve lovely. I’m really enjoying it.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think Ted is right. So, I would play them both to the best of your ability. The modern deluxe neck is a different animal. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. I also think the Eastman neck is very comfortable.
I have grown to like the neck of the Modern Deluxe. Initially, when it first came out, I played a couple and did not care for it. However, in the last month or so, I have played a couple more and find them amazingly comfortable.

Neck shapes are very personal and if I am an example, one or both, might take a little time to determine whether or not it would work for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion