The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2009, 05:20 AM

Default Republic RP-1 parlor: first impressions

So,

I finally got the guitar last night. I did have limited time, so, this will be a first impressions only. I will have more time to take pictures / take a few soundclips this weekend.

First off, it was very well packed. Arrived in perfect condition.

The guitar is very nice. A few minor imperfections here and there but nothing major. One thing that did strike me was how shallow the strings were at the nut. Might have to file the slots a bit to make sure that they are completely secure at the nut.

The guitar has a nice satin finish. Neck is nice, smooth and wide! This is PERFECT for fingerpicking. Lotsa space to move around. The abalone purfling doesn't shine. It is hidden behind the coat of satin finish. This is a bit sad as under a satin finish, abalone looks more like something that was painted / printed on the binding rather than abalone! Not ugly but not worth putting abalone if you are going to hide it.

I tuned it up with the strings that came with the guitar and felt that it didn't do the guitar justice. So, I swapped them for martin silk and steel. One pin was pushed too deep at the bridge. That gave me a few issues removing it but all is fine.

So, how does it sound? Exactly like a parlor should! Very immediate attack and bright! It almost sounds dobro like! I am not saying that there isn't any bass in it, it is just muted and very minor compared to the mids and highs. This thing will sound superb playing slide on it.

I will post more thoughts / pictures / sound clips during the weekend.

Cheers,
Stephane.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:17 PM

Nice to hear,I dont look for aesthetics when looking for a guitar,just the sound.Looking forward to hearing the sound clips and pics.
My Tunes
Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion