The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2024, 12:33 PM

Default Ev 30m Ev50 column switch

I was told by a shop owner back when the 30m was released that the ev 50 column worked perfectly fine on the ev 30m bass. Has anyone tried this?
Old 03-24-2024, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I just have the 30m so I haven’t tried it myself but I have seen posts by people that have done it with no issues. I saw one earlier today on a EV30m / EV50m Facebook page where a guy used the hf array from his 30m on his 50m base and said it was great for an elevated stage in a room with low ceilings.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I just have the 30m so I haven’t tried it myself but I have seen posts by people that have done it with no issues. I saw one earlier today on a EV30m / EV50m Facebook page where a guy used the hf array from his 30m on his 50m base and said it was great for an elevated stage in a room with low ceilings.

Thnx! Good to know. I've been using a Fishman 330 for a long time. It's the only column that gives me the tone I want for acoustic and vocals. I tried an ev50 once and really liked it, but the bass unit was too big...figured if I owned it, still just grab one of my mains for solo. I'm thinking it's the 6 4" speakers of the fishman that I like over other column arrays I've owned/tried. Love my mains, but always grab the Fishman for a solo show, just so quick, light, and easy. It'd be interesting to hear the 50 column with the 10" bass of the 30m... 8 3.5" speakers. I was hoping someone on here had already gone down that road.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:23 AM

For anyone else wondering, this is from EV technical support. I'm not sure why I can do it, but not often??

"Dear: Willy

The connections and pole are the same, it will definitely work in a pinch. Just don't use it like that very often. There are two more speakers on the 50's array element.

Best Regards,

Rios Allan (SO/OPM1.1-Hda)

Bosch Security Systems, Inc | Phone: 1.800.289.0096"

Last edited by willymartin; 03-26-2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
For anyone else wondering, this is from EV technical support. I'm not sure why I can do it, but not often??

"Dear: Willy

The connections and pole are the same, it will definitely work in a pinch. Just don't use it like that very often. There are two more speakers on the 50's array element.

Best Regards,

Rios Allan (SO/OPM1.1-Hda)

Bosch Security Systems, Inc | Phone: 1.800.289.0096"
I'd suspect that they may be concerned that users will appreciate the more compact form but might have a tendency to try and push the volume capabilities which might result in damage to the speakers.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I'd suspect that they may be concerned that users will appreciate the more compact form but might have a tendency to try and push the volume capabilities which might result in damage to the speakers.
I think you're probably right. I'm pretty sure they push the same wattage, and the 30m bass pushing to the 50 column shouldn't hurt anything, at least you wouldn't think... ?
Old 03-27-2024, 12:53 PM

This is strange and interesting, not sure exactly what they mean. The power rating on both is the same so can’t be an issue there. I wonder if the concern is with the larger 50 top on top of the smaller 30 sub it would not offer as much support and could tip over easier?
I don’t quite understand the comment above regarding shorter height to accommodate a lower ceiling. I don’t believe much would be achieved with switching components. The shorter pole, which is available is what you would need for that situation I believe unless I’m not understanding correctly.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksh24 View Post
I don’t quite understand the comment above regarding shorter height to accommodate a lower ceiling. I don’t believe much would be achieved with switching components. The shorter pole, which is available is what you would need for that situation I believe unless I’m not understanding correctly.
True, and I have it for just that reason--but the short pole is really short.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
ev evolve 30m, ev evolve 50