The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
I'm wondering if anyone wraps "material" or the like around their finger to get a good snug fit on the slide?

I've been trying to think of something that would work good to accomplish that. Any suggestions?
Cut the finger off an old glove.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorPrague View Post
Ive never played slide but want to buy one. However have no idea which size I should buy ?

Should it fit the pinkie, middle finger or be universal ?

Please help.

cheers.
Hi, and welcome to a newer experience! Water can get muddy, so I won't try to muddy it anymore than usual-

Fit- slide should be snug enough to stay on your finger when you hang your hand down, but not so snug it's tough to pull off. Use ring size with a bottleneck maker, and they'll know.

Finger- if you are a new player, try and get use to the little finger, it's a bit more versatile. Yeah, some very good players use other fingers, as well as some here, and you can use any finger you want, even your middle, but the pinky will allow you to fingerpick easier, and most accomplished players using the ring or middle have been playing like that for many years, and have overcome the obvious obstacles, like chording, and using the fingers that you are accustomed to when fingering.
Type- whatever, the more mass, the more tone, but that doesn't mean it has to be overly heavy. I think most would agree that pyrex and chrome are not the best materials, do-able, but not the best tone, brass, glass, and ceramic/stoneware are best. Sure lots use the "socket", and who's to argue? Wait awhile for those beasts. You want something you can control, and sockets are a tad heavy.
Length- Easier to control and get single note runs if it's not longer than the tip of your finger.
Recommended Makers- A few already mentioned, these are my favorites, by price, low to high:

1. Paloma Stone Slides-http://www.stoneslides.com Jay Siebert is probably one of the only stoneware makers, custom sizing available, and last I heard, 20$ or so for 2 , I have 2 and like 'em.
2. Diamond Bottleneck- http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com/DB08/index.asp I have 3 of these, and all are excellent, these are glass, the "Ultimate" at 40$ is my fav of the three, but the Redhouse and Blue Diamond are great, and about 25$, and another customizer!
3. Tribotone- http://www.tribotone.com/slides.html These are different, and pretty cool, but for a new player probably not the best dollar choice, at 55$(incl ship) they are the priciest of the bunch, but to a lot of us, well worth it. He hasn't started customizing sizes yet, but he has a few that are pretty standardly sized, I'm the 1958 (19mm inner diameter, 58mm length) fits the pinky perfect. Not metal, glass or ceramic, but a man-made material that's slippery as heck, and is probably the most noiseless one.

There are a lot of slides for less on ebay, and you could go that route, 5 bucks will get you one made out of a bottleneck, may have a seam, glass won't be polished smooth, and that counts for a lot of unintended noise, which a lot of blues players like, so find out your ring size, talk to the guys that make 'em, and have fun learning, always something to do with these things, different tunings, etc..

And all this "stuff" above is only my opinion, nothing's cut in stone.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM

I like these:

http://www.rockymountainslides.com/
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
I've heard of people attaching velcro loop material to the inside of a slide so it would fit snugly. Peel-n-stick velcro would work best.

Thank you... I'm going to give that a try!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm321 View Post
Cut the finger off an old glove.

And yet another idea to try... Thanks!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Thanks guys, a lot of really, really great advice here - cheers !
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-19-2011, 05:56 AM

My slides allow me to slightly bend my pinky, with a bit of finger poking out the top. I find this gives much better control than a snug fitting slide does.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

one more suggestion for customizing the fit: rubber non-slip shelf & drawer liner. cheap, available at any hardware store & very comfortable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion