The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Guitar "Lifetime" Warranty

]Hi fellow guitar folks....Hope everyone's doing their level best this day. Are you ready for a little story?
I have a "Praise Report" regarding Martin Guitars. It all began for me back in February of 1964 (Yes, 1964.) I was the very surprised and thrilled new owner of a brand new D-18, a gift from my father on my 16th birthday. That instrument changed my life forever. The dye was cast, and I was on the road to all kinds of wonderful music, and even had the opportunity in 1968 to travel (with my college choir) to 5 different countries in Europe. Okay, let's fast forward to 2009 shall we? For years and years, the action kept creeping higher and higher, and it became obvious (to those who knew) that the old neck needed a reset, the bridge had been shaved a little too low and the saddle might as well be a piece of white string.The TONE of that 45 year old box however, is the stuff guitar dreams are made of. In other words, worth the trouble and extra expense of a neck reset, new nut, frets and bridge. My problem was, way back in 1964, I never realized (nor had my dad) that the D-18 was never "registered" with Martin, proving that in fact I am the "Original Owner." I balked at a re-set for the neck because I knew that not only am I the original owner, but that Martin stands behind their instruments 100%. I began communicating with Paula Primrose at Martin, and she came up with the idea of sending her photos of me with my guitar from back "In The Day." I was able to find three pretty good pictures of me actually playing it, or holding it. I sent along those pics, and a copy of my Ca. driver's license, and guess what? Just last week I got my "brand new" owner's card and a welcome letter from the home office, congratulating me on the purchase of my "New" D-18! It's official, yes I am the original owner (even though my father bought it) and now I am able to take that rascal to a professional for the restoration back to the 1964 "specs." Even with the "non-Scalloped" braces and the steel "T-Bar" set in that neck, the thing is still lighter than most all of the guitars I own (that would be 9 of the puppies.) It's just so fantastic that the Martin Co. has people such as Paula Primrose to assist guys like me, and she did it without question and with joy in her heart. (I can tell these things), I am so blessed to still have that old thing, and I even took off the old funky and HEAVY Grovers I'd installed some 43 years ago, replacing them with Waverly's. (Much closer to the original square back "Deluxe" tuners it came with and way lighter). So, there's your "novelette" for Friday April 3rd 2009. THANK YOU MR. MARTIN I'M ALRIGHT! (And so are YOU!) So the next time you're looking for a new guitar, think of the wonderful generous folks at Martin and give 'em a chance. I own 4 myself, and they are among the best money can buy, not to mention that warranty that really does work. Best always, cheers...1folksinger
Old 04-03-2009, 01:36 PM

I used to work at a shop that does Martin warranty work. Your story is not uncommon, which is one of the reasons I'm a fan of Martin guitars. One of the few companies I can think of where you get what you pay for.

I also love hearing stories about single owner instruments. 45 years!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Warranty Work.

Thanks Bryan, yes it's true. Some people actually do have instruments (besides pianos) that have been "in the family" for years and years. I'm also very lucky to have found that 1939 00028 at Elderly Instruments about 14 years ago that already had a real professional reset it's neck. It's so perfect I can not tell the neck was ever actually off, but the angle is PERFECT and it plays like "butta." What a find I'll tell you.....what a find. Anyway, I'm communicating with Chris Camp (near Escondito) for the D-18. You guys heard of him? From what I've seen, (like the nut he created for that '39 of mine) he's the man for the job. (And obviously authorized by Martin.) I'll keep posting the results... and the joy of gettin' that '64 back to the way it's ment to be.
P.S. What do you think of Collings? Later, 1folksinger
Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM

Mine aren't old enough to need resets or anything, but they sure are easy to deal with. Once my OMC came off the stand and bent a tuner and broke one of the knobs. I think it was in fact Paula who sent me a brand new tuner with the ebony knob, same day free of charge. Same thing when I noticed there was no trussrod wrench included - shot em an email, and 3 days later it shows up in my mail box.

What else can you say but they take great pride in their product, and they would rather send you a simple item or provide great warranty work than have anyone out there thinking their product is substandard. Same reason i guess you never see someone pushing a Mercedes or BMW (not that they don't break, but the little perks like free roadside assist etc).

Don't know about Collings other than the sound is to die for, and at least to my ears on par with the best Martins.

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting! I started playing guitar at age 16 in 1964 myself, like you, though my dad waited a while before helping my out with a really good guitar. He did take me at age 21 to pick out a new Martin and I got my D-35 then, in 1969 (built in '67). Still have it, still a fantastic guitar.

I had the neck reset about 20 years ago along with a refret. It never occurred to me to talk to Martin about it. Hmmmmmmm.....

Regards, Glenn
Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Default Great Story ...

I guess in another decade or so I can look forward to great service for my '99 D-35. God willin' ....
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 04-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Great company, great story!

2009 CA Cargo Raw, 2006 Collings OM-1 SS light build, 2004 Taylor 714ce, 2000 Taylor 310K, 1991 Martin HD-28, 1971 Martin 0-18, 1967 Guild F-30

2006 Ovation Legend 6756LX 12 string, 2004 Taylor 354ce 12 string, 1976 Guild G312-NT 12 string (dreadnaught shape)

1966 Martin T-15 tiple, Mele koa ukulele
Old 04-03-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorcc View Post
Great company, great story!
ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM

I was thinking about this today while driving... random thought, but my gosh... if Martin started in 1833, there would have been people working there and buying their instruments who would have remembered life in the late 1700s! Just awe inspiring to thing that is the same company we are sitting here talking about in the 2000's... man....

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi 1folksinger,

Martin Guitars is a first-class operation and I've used their Lifetime Warranty a couple of times and they never batted an eye in covering the repairs. My 1988 HD-28 had a bridge lifting from the top along its bass side, and my daughter's 2005 D-15 Spruce & Rosewood Custom had the rear of its top separate from its rear-end side. I had both repairs done by Dick Robinson, at The House Of Guitars, an authorized Martin dealer and repair station, here in Rochester, New York.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM

My shop has been a Martin Warranty shop since 1977 and I can attest that they continually amaze me with their willingness to honor their warranty and to find ways for their customers to get warranty service. My best story: About 10 years ago we did some warranty service on a 1935 D-18. Yes, 1935!!! Can't hardly beat that.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:12 PM

I have a 1969 D28, and I never registered the guitar. Turns out that back in the 60s there were no cards given with the sale to register the instrument. A call to Martin in 2004 solved that problem. I received a form from Martin where I had to sign, notorize, and provide serial#. That was it. I received my proof of registration in the mail a short time later. I guess as long as no one tried to use your serial number, there isn't much Martin can say. It was easy fast and friendly. The old girl has had a neck reset, refret and a good cleaning. Plays great too, but it gets little play now that I have a Doerr guitar. There is just no comparison.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:24 PM

I have a '71 D-28. Same story. I got them on the phone, and they asked me a few questions. When I told them where I bought it in '71 (a store that is no longer in existence) I think that clinched it. I'm now registered. The pickguard was replaced under warranty, and it is currently in for a neck reset. Of course, this costs Martin money, so it would seem to me that somewhere in the process of deciding on the cost of a guitar this is factored in. But, you have to hand it to them. They go the extra mile for those of us who had no "official" registration.

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Inquiring About Doerr

Hey there Nova290, How's by you? Just wondering what a DOERR SOLACE is if you don't mind me askin? I know what you mean about a favorite guitar. When I discovered Collings in 1992, I'm sorry to say that I haven't been playing my beloved Martins as often as I should. Dern them collings'zz anyway. Cheers,
Old 04-03-2009, 09:06 PM

My '71 D-28 is finally due a neck reset after 38 years of my hard, heavy handed playing. Nice to know that it is on Martin's dime!! There's a reason in addition to sound & looks that people buy Martins!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion