The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 AM

Default jeff traugott speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38IklH8b3t4

i did a search and didn't find a thread for it...... what do you guys think??????

iut's a bit weird seeing him talk about his guitars like that, his delivery is a bit strange........... i wonder if ted made him talk in that way????
Old 10-24-2013, 06:02 AM

When you sell guitars for that much you have to create myth around your work just as many great musicians do. Bob Dylan comes to mind. I love Bobs music by the way. He makes guitars, good ones, I am sure but they are not mythical beasts. That speech to me was a great argument for carbon fiber. Lol. Sorry,
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-24-2013, 06:16 AM

Jeez, He left out the stuff about using crystals and pyramid power. What would be funny is to have Traugott and Wayne Henderson do side by side presentations as their guitars sell for about the same and wait list are probably similar.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Jeez, He left out the stuff about using crystals and pyramid power. What would be funny is to have Traugott and Wayne Henderson do side by side presentations as their guitars sell for about the same and wait list are probably similar.
Hi All...

But HHP...this IS how some luthiers feel about how they do what they do...it is all about intuition, about sound, about vibration, touch and response, about things they sense that they can't really tell you, can't really put into words...but they "feel" it when it is right.

Wayne Henderson...if you have seen pictures...or actually been to his shop...is a very intuitive builder...and in his own way, would say the same things that Jeff said. My friend luthier John Greven is completely this way...very very intuitive, very very low tech, in his craft...as was Jean Larrivee in his solo days...as is Stefan Sobell...as is Ervin Somogyi...and on and on. It is a build style that works from the inside out...of both the person and the wood...

Best Regards
duff
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi All...

But HHP...this IS how some luthiers feel about how they do what they do...it is all about intuition, about sound, about vibration, touch and response, about things they sense that they can't really tell you, can't really put into words...but they "feel" it when it is right.

Wayne Henderson...if you have seen pictures...or actually been to his shop...is a very intuitive builder...and in his own way, would say the same things that Jeff said. My friend luthier John Greven is completely this way...very very intuitive, very very low tech, in his craft...as was Jean Larrivee in his solo days...as is Stefan Sobell...as is Ervin Somogyi...and on and on. It is a build style that works from the inside out...of both the person and the wood...

Best Regards
duff
It would scare me more if my car mechanic or septic tank guy talked about his work this way. I understand its all part and parcel of building and maintaining a mystique but it still strikes me funny.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
When you sell guitars for that much you have to create myth around your work
or his guitars just have to be THAT GOOD! the proof is in the pudding. Jeff makes some of the best guitars today. Definitely in my top 3 guitars I've ever played. Hopefully I'll get to own one someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi All...

well said

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Eric Skye

Jeff is one of the nicest guys in the world. I think for his delivery here he's just trying on a bit of a beat poet vibe for the fun of it.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Jeff is one of the nicest guys in the world. I think for his delivery here he's just trying on a bit of a beat poet vibe for the fun of it.
i agree on both points.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Indeed.

I liked it.

No, I mean I *really* liked it.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Jeez, He left out the stuff about using crystals and pyramid power.
I think there's something in the air up in Santa Cruz..

Quote:
What would be funny is to have Traugott and Wayne Henderson do side by side presentations as their guitars sell for about the same and wait list are probably similar.
Actually Wayne's base price is still only $1500 with a ten year wait. The inflated prices you see out there come from resellers who know the actual value of his guitars, Wayne does not get any of that money.

Two very different builders. Hundreds of regular working class folks own Hendersons which is the way Wayne likes it, Jeff's guitars on the other hand are limited to a different market.

Last edited by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales; 10-24-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Yeah. I actually loved this talk. The trees, mountains, and the spiritual stuff he said really gets at the core of why I make music far more than discussion of top thicknesses and bracing patterns - no doubt Jeff is a master regarding that stuff as well. But I doubt there's a musician who started playing guitar because the top was a certain thickness or the truss rod worked smoothly.

I don't hear any hocus pocus. I hear a guy who loves guitar music as deeply as anyone, and he hasn't let the finer details of building get in the way of remembering the larger beauty.

I have always liked William Coulter's playing. That was a nice surprise.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Yeah. I actually loved this talk. The trees, mountains, and the spiritual stuff he said really gets at the core of why I make music far more than discussion of top thicknesses and bracing patterns - no doubt Jeff is a master regarding that stuff as well. But I doubt there's a musician who started playing guitar because the top was a certain thickness or the truss rod worked smoothly.

I don't hear any hocus pocus. I hear a guy who loves guitar music as deeply as anyone, and he hasn't let the finer details of building get in the way of remembering the larger beauty.

I have always liked William Coulter's playing. That was a nice surprise.

Thanks for sharing!

Lots to agree with on the positive-side of this thread.

My feelings are in-line with this, as well.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM

That was very nice. More about why someone would want to build musical instruments for their ability to bring beauty into the world than the mechanics of how to build one.

TW
Old 10-24-2013, 12:16 PM

a lovely sounding guitar and beautiful playing...

And I resonate with the more mystical understanding of a guitar. For me, my instrument is much more than a tool. It has a personality and I have a relationship with it. It brings something to the music and it grows and changes in relationship to my playing which also grows and changes.

When my guitar was stolen in '99 I seriously considered stopping playing because I felt as if a relationship was taken that could not be re-created. It was difficult to get to know another guitar but Lowden built me a special guitar and it became my guitar eventually. That is also why I don't desire a collection of instruments. When I own multiple guitars, I find that I have a real relationship with one guitar while the others are just tools. And tools make a different, lesser quality of music to me.
that's me on guitar
Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
When you sell guitars for that much you have to create myth around your work just as many great musicians do. Bob Dylan comes to mind. I love Bobs music by the way. He makes guitars, good ones, I am sure but they are not mythical beasts. That speech to me was a great argument for carbon fiber. Lol. Sorry,
Fast forward to about 4:25....William Coulter might change your mind about carbon fiber.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion