The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-08-2024, 03:30 PM

Default Home bass

Do you have an instrument that you have played for decades? One you always come back to?

Mine is my Guild B301 bass. Purchased new in 1977, played constantly until 1996, (2 fret jobs) when I started playing banjo for 15 years, then played steadily until 2019, when I started trying some short scale basses, and has been in the case since 2022.

But, it's back! Got a gig Friday and our singer has laryngitis and doesn't think he can do many numbers, if any. That's puts me in the hot seat for vocals. We had a actual rehearsal last night, first time in 3 years, and I knew what to do; call on my "old friend" to help me out. It's like a worn in shoe, a hand in glove. Even after not touching it for 2 years it is so familiar that I can concentrate on singing and not have to position it, or look at it, or consider it at all. It's just there.

Do you have such an "old friend"?
Old 04-10-2024, 05:15 AM

Not a bass, but I've had this one for almost 40 years, and have played it a lot - Flatiron A5Jr, bought new in 1985.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
Do you have an instrument that you have played for decades? One you always come back to? . . .
Nope. I sold my all-time favorite guitar in the seventies.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
Do you have an instrument that you have played for decades? One you always come back to?

Mine is my Guild B301 bass. Purchased new in 1977, played constantly until 1996, (2 fret jobs) when I started playing banjo for 15 years, then played steadily until 2019, when I started trying some short scale basses, and has been in the case since 2022.

But, it's back! Got a gig Friday and our singer has laryngitis and doesn't think he can do many numbers, if any. That's puts me in the hot seat for vocals. We had a actual rehearsal last night, first time in 3 years, and I knew what to do; call on my "old friend" to help me out. It's like a worn in shoe, a hand in glove. Even after not touching it for 2 years it is so familiar that I can concentrate on singing and not have to position it, or look at it, or consider it at all. It's just there.

Do you have such an "old friend"?
After many attempts at finding "the" Martin, I got a '73 D35 in 1975. I played it for 21 years, and sold it to a friend who still plays in most nights, still sounds "special".

In 1999 after a three year search for a 12 fret dread, I bought my first ever Collings DS2h. It was perfect from the start even though it got dragged/fell off a stage and destroyed the slotted headstock. It got glued together and was still fine when I (foolishly) sold it in 2020 - again 21 years later.

I have a newer (2007) Ds2h, a (2008) DS1 and a (2003) DS1ASB. Like children - I couldn't choose)

At home and for teaching I tend to use my 2003 which is probably my favourite guitar.

All my collection are all going through some servicing and check ups currently, but the Ds2h and 0002h need nothing done. Just perfection.

I bought them all used - mostly via ebay.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:49 PM

"Old friend?" - got myself a whole family :

A Yamaha SSC-500 and Ovation Custom Balladeer, both bought brand-new in '82 and still doing yeoman duty:

Gibson SG Faded Bass, bought brand-new in '07 (and just retrofitted with a Hipshot bridge for a major improvement in tone - pic shows OEM factory unit) - my main bass since day one:

Deering Boston tenor banjo, a '94 virtually unplayed by the previous owner and bought in 2003 for $325 w/OHSC from Sam Ash Brooklyn (who sold it new in the first place) - retrofitted mine with a black head, comes with me (along with the aforementioned Ovation) to every open acoustic jam:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments