The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-23-2024, 09:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default The top is arched, right?

Last week I stopped by John's shop briefly, and he showed me something he'd been threatening to make for himself.

He made good on the threat, it appears.

It is arched, of course, and it is chambered, so perhaps the mod squad will leave it here, but whatever.......

Nice color!

HE
Old 04-25-2024, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

That's a beautiful instrument. The tall skinny knobs are an elegant stylistic touch.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-26-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
It is arched, of course, and it is chambered . . .
2.5" deep? 2.75" deep?

What's under the stop tailpiece -- a thick top, an attached bar, a pier reaching the back, something else?

Is there a port on the top bout or is it fully-closed?
Old 04-26-2024, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

That is a beautiful instrument. Very classy. Sometimes, builders go overboard (at least, for my tastes) almost to the point of being gaudy. But this instrument is a perfect example of pure class anyone would be proud to own and play.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-27-2024, 09:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
2.5" deep? 2.75" deep?

What's under the stop tailpiece -- a thick top, an attached bar, a pier reaching the back, something else?

Is there a port on the top bout or is it fully-closed?
Hi Sam,
I really have no idea. I didn't think to ask, but when I have a chance I will. It certainly does appear thicker than a typical LP build.

It does NOT, have a port, of course, except where the 1/4" jack exits.

No matter how 'chambered' it might be, it's an electric guitar, and most people would probably consider it a solid body for all intensive porpoises.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-30-2024, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No matter how 'chambered' it might be,
"Chambered" is an electric-guitar-builder's term of art. It means that instead of bent sides a solid block of wood is routed away to create a hollow space.

For example, the Epi WildKat is chambered:

John Monteleone did not rout away 2.5" of wood to create this guitar. It has bent sides or dinner's on me.

Quote:
. . . most people would probably consider it a solid body for all intensive porpoises.
It's a hollow guitar, maestro. Look at how much thicker it is than a solid-body Les Paul:

See how the LP's jack takes up almost the entire side, but the Monte's has an inch or so on top and bottom?

Yes, it has a maple top.
Yes, it's built to play through an amp.
Yes, I would be mighty happy to let it stay at my house while it settles in over the next few decades.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sherry View Post
"Chambered" is an electric-guitar-builder's term of art. It means that instead of bent sides a solid block of wood is routed away to create a hollow space.

For example, the Epi WildKat is chambered:

John Monteleone did not rout away 2.5" of wood to create this guitar. It has bent sides or dinner's on me.

It's a hollow guitar, maestro. Look at how much thicker it is than a solid-body Les Paul:

See how the LP's jack takes up almost the entire side, but the Monte's has an inch or so on top and bottom?

Yes, it has a maple top.
Yes, it's built to play through an amp.
Yes, I would be mighty happy to let it stay at my house while it settles in over the next few decades.
Hi Sam,
Do you want to send me gift card, or will you coming down this way anytime soon so we can have dinner together?

It's an odd, but slightly satisfying feeling being spoken to as if I were young and ill-informed. I wish I was still that young, but hey.......a meal is a meal.

It's a maple cap, and a two-piece mahogany slab that John joined, and then marked out for a center neck block, AND for 1/2" thick sides. He band sawed away the waste, and then inlaid thin mahogany veneer fillets to fill the band saw cut.

Orville Gibson is kvelling in his grave.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-30-2024, 05:52 PM

]
Quote:
Hi Sam,
Do you want to send me gift card, or will you coming down this way anytime soon so we can have dinner together?

It's an odd, but slightly satisfying feeling being spoken to as if I were young and ill-informed. I wish I was still that young, but hey.......a meal is a meal.

It's a maple cap, and a two-piece mahogany slab that John joined, and then marked out for a center neck block, AND for 1/2" thick sides. He band sawed away the waste, and then inlaid thin mahogany veneer fillets to fill the band saw cut.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
A Gibson CS-336 has back and sides that are carved out of a single piece of mahogany capped with a maple top. It sounds surprisingly a lot like a Les Paul, but a touch smoother.

https://imgur.com/a/sgnc7U4
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.

Last edited by dilver; 04-30-2024 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
]

A Gibson CS-336 has back and sides that are carved out of a single piece of mahogany capped with a maple top. It sounds surprisingly a lot like a Les Paul, but a touch smoother.

https://imgur.com/a/sgnc7U4
That was basically Gibson's 'copy' of the late Steve Carr's Mini 335-ish instrument.

HE
Old 05-01-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Sam,

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Howard, dinner is indeed on me, and I'm a chump, and that is one unique guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops