The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-04-2024, 12:23 PM

Default Help on FG-Junior Revival

I picked up a FG-Junior JR1 Red Label that looks like a true survivor. Poor thing looks like its been through a war. Strings looked like they came from the factory. Replaced them with a set of Martin Lights I had on the shelf.

Here is the issue:
String height (measured off the top of the fret) Measured on low E
#1 = .055
#12 = .155

I can take a bit off the bottom of the nut. Maybe .010/.020 and I can take maybe .020/.030 off the saddle. That is not going to get me near a reasonable string height. The neck doesn't appear to be bent down at the tuner end but I could adjust the truss rod and gain a little that way.

Top does not appear to be ballooned up. Bridge is not bowed - or lifting.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:09 AM

What's the neck relief?

You measure this by putting a capo on the first fret and holding the E string at the body joint fret, I'm guessing 15th in your case. Measure the distance between the top of the 7th fret (metal, not the wood) and the string.

A "good" measurement is around .007". If it's above this, turn truss rod clockwise a little and check again. Make sure you take measurements only when the guitar is properly tuned up as this will affect the measurement.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:21 PM

Default a thought

This discussion offers the opportunity for dozens of questions. I suggest that the questioner take this guitar to a tech for a 'setup' and ask the tech what he did, in what order, and why.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
This discussion offers the opportunity for dozens of questions. I suggest that the questioner take this guitar to a tech for a 'setup' and ask the tech what he did, in what order, and why.
Sign hanging in my grade 7 Industrial Arts Class, "Learn By Doing".

It's a low dollar value guitar in, apparently, rough shape. Sounds like a good candidate to practice repair and set up skills on.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:01 PM

Having an image in one's head about chosen goals ain't bad, either.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:04 PM

On a guess, it might suffer from the endemic Yamaha underset neck issue. Neck resets are like more expensive than the guitar's value.

How thick is the bridge? Can it be shaved to gain room to lower the saddle further? Removing 1/16" bridge could give you room to lower the saddle by .090" which would put your low E at .110" which is playable, if a bit high, for some people.

If the bridge is already thin/shaved, you may be looking at a neck reset. Sometimes a saw off and convert to bolt on neck is cost effective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair