The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-05-2024, 01:08 PM

Default A question about HHG

Hello, I've kept a set of used HHG in the freezer for some time. How many times does it possibly be considered as useable please?
I intend to repair a crack that appeared in February when the temperature reached well below -30C and my humidity machine couldn't keep up.

Lester Young and Ted Wilson
Old 05-05-2024, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Hot hide glue? I was unsure because you said "set". I personally don't freeze it as proteins do suffer damage in freezing and I find it just as easy to make it fresh. I don't know specifically how many cycles you can put collagen (hhg) through. There's probably dozens of lab sheets out there on collagen and freezing if you want a definitive answer. I think you should be fine as crack repair isn't exactly pushing the limits of the glue. I recommend testing it and seeing if it makes a satisfactory joint.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:51 AM

People regularly freeze it and don't have any problems with it going bad. I don't know about constantly refreezing it though. Most of the people I have read who freeze it do so in very small 'ice cubes' to be used only once.

I make HHG in 3 batches 192g, 315g, and 192g with Urea and they go in small bottles and live in the refrigerator. I have no system per say but I typically just get a feeling that it's time to throw away the batch and start over. They are very small batches, like 3 fluid ounces or so.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:28 AM

I have a bottle of fish glue on the shelf for a couple of months and it still is in excellent condition.
I always get it liquid in a plastic bottle.
No need for storing it in the fridge next to delicious foods

Like this

Martin D28 (1973)
12-string cutaway ...finished ;-)
Hoyer 12-string (1965)
Yamaha FG-340 (1970)
Yamaha FG-512 (ca. 1980)
D.Maurer 8-string baritone (2013-2014)
and 4 electric axes

Last edited by viento; 05-07-2024 at 11:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair