The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 05:29 AM

"Open from the beginning."

I remember reading about cedar in an old thread here on the forum. One of our top luthiers here said that building with cedar (as opposed to spruce, of course) was almost liking cheating, because you get a lively response right from the start.

And from this thread, cedar is lively from the start and lively for a good long while thereafter. Amazing wood that cedar
Old 04-26-2024, 12:23 PM

I currently own 2 cedar topped guitars and have owned 5 total over the years. It is by far my favorite soundboard tonewood. It sounds amazing whether a new or old guitar. My Cedar Olson is 24 years old and my Cedar MJ is brand new. Both sound incredible.

I do notice that spruce does sound better after a guitar ages a bit, but it's not a night/day difference. My Adirondack topped OM sounded great brand new. My opinion is to select the tonewood that sounds best to your ear now rather than what it will sound like in 10 years. For me, I'm not a heavy picker or flatpicker so cedar is a perfect fit for my playing style. Unless you're a very aggressive player you can't go wrong with cedar.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion