The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Default help with new saddle

so I ordered a bone saddle for my martingpcpa4. the saddle matched is but needs to be sanded down a bit. here is my problem it is too thick to fit in the bridge. is there a trick to this or is this the wrong saddle?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Dan - Charter Member

If it almost fits, you may just need to sand the ends and/or sides slightly. For instance, does it almost fit upside down? Often saddles are just slightly oversize.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 PM

The saddle should fit snug enough that, once in place (and without strings), you should be able to turn the guitar upside down without it falling out.

So best to start slightly too thick and sand it down until it just fits. Much easier than trying to build up one that is too thin. So unless yours is way too thick, you should be OK.

Hope that helps,
Gary

Last edited by Gcunplugged; 08-30-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Do not force the saddle in. It WILL crack in half. Don't ask. Find yourself a flat surface, and lay sand paper on it, gently move the saddle around the paper in a figure eight pattern. This removes material evenly across the surface. Calipers may help to determine how much you need to remove.

Dan
Old 08-30-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
Do not force the saddle in. It WILL crack in half. Don't ask. Find yourself a flat surface, and lay sand paper on it, gently move the saddle around the paper in a figure eight pattern. This removes material evenly across the surface. Calipers may help to determine how much you need to remove.

Dan
and do it a little at a time, I mean very little. One or two figure 8's at a time with very fine sandpaper and a light touch. ....Mike
Old 08-31-2014, 08:45 AM

thanks for the responses got it all sanded down and put in sounds nice!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion