The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Check out the prices on the Blueberry ebay store. Maybe they're selling guitars at an entry level price somewhere but that somewhere is not their ebay store. Imagine the fine guitars you could get for these prices!

By the way saw some of these at a trade show in Montreal in the summer of 2007 and I was not impressed. That said, to my eye the aesthetics are appalling so that may be tainting my eye/ear.

Regards,

Steve
Looks like many of their guitars are priced in the same range with new Collings'.
It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.....build, fit, finish, playability, tone.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

I mean no offense to anyone and these comments are not directed to any one person - but I simply don't understand the negativity in this thread. Very few people have likely had much (if any) experience with these guitars. I have no experience with Blueberry guitars but I think they at least deserve the chance to prove themselves on their own merits instead of being denigrated right out of the gate.

Last edited by Simon Fay; 09-20-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macosx View Post
I mean no offense to anyone and these comments are not directed to any one person - but I simply don't understand the negativity in this thread. Very few of you have likely had much (if any) experience with these guitars. I have no experience with Blueberry guitars but I think they at least deserve the chance to prove themselves on their own merits instead of being derided right out of the gate.
It's called "expressing my opinion".
I never was one for "Oh, Gee Wow, what an interesting looking guitar!!"
One thing I enjoy about finally reaching the age I am is being able to let my "inner crumudgeon" come out.

Come on now. "Grooved Tops"?? Same price as Collings?? Lobster carvings? Begun by some guy on vacation in Bali....produced in Bali with (as far as I can tell) no on site established luthier overseeing production? Built by people who have never built a guitar before?
If something walks on four legs, eats hay, wears a bridle, runs in the Kentucky Derby and leaves behind horse sh*t, it's probably a horse.
I may be 100% wrong about these guitars, but there it is.

Lets look this another way.

The criticism they are receiving can be a good thing for them. It can spurr imrovement.
Lets see Blueberry prove themselves where it counts...guitar shows, stores carrying them, the Established Luthery Community...rather than in paid advertisements and eBay store hype.

And again, why not groove the BACK side of the top?
Heck, I'm no builder, but even to me it seems a simple way to get the same (supposed) affect without having to scour the face (and it would allow them to finish the top rather than leaving it unfinished.)
The fact that nobody at Blueberry seems to have thought of this leaves me in serious doubt as to the "expertise" of the operation.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart4328 View Post
Hey John, I guess my tone comes across more harshly than intended. I'm not
doing it to be "killer" I just feel bad for the guys at Blueberry because the people I have spoken with have been just awesome and super helpful!! I just don't want people who read this to think that Blueberry Guitars is run by some snake oil salesman names Stewart4328! This is a great forum and enjoy reading all the posts!!

Cheers!
Your tone was fine. You have been put on by folks that are not wearing your shoes. I am a cheerleader for Yamaha. I have probably sold hundreds if not thousands of $130 - $150 Yamaha's because of my entry level kudo's. I AM WAITING FOR A CHECK from Yamaha. OK maybe a custom Yamaha will do.

Danny (Blueberry)is passonate and fortunatly has a deep wallet. Blueberrys are what happen when someone is not teathered to rules that have been drilled into them, and have the dough to dream. The results may not be up to some builders standards.
His heart is right. He spent 1 -2 years of sending a Luthier over to Bali to work with guys that can work wood as thier forfathers did. USA Schools teach Attorneys and Photographers, that don't know a drill works, how to build in a few days or weeks. While I am sure it is only the begining of building you get my point.
They do sound fantastic. They are very light. Longevity? I don't know. But I've seen lack of longevity in Martins, Gibsons.....
The work that goes into them is amazing. Are they worth a couple K? I don't know. I personally did not think so. Do I like all of the designs...no. If I could score one of those Dragons for a couple hundred I would take it. But, pay a Collings price. For me? No.
Did you guys know you can try one out for a $500 deposit? It only costs you shipping to know. If you don't like her, return her.
I thought I was going to sell them to stores. I could not find margin X's time.
Danny and the experience was very positive.

Some folks think only a fool would spend more than $200 on a acoustic. And I have $200 acoustics that would suport that thought to a vast degree. Maybe some of our "Artists" should get thier noses out of the air and just talk about how an acoustic could possibly be worth 5K without an eagle carved on it

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 09-20-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:34 AM

Personally speaking of course, and not to hurt anyone's feelings either, if a blueberry guitar was the only guitar left on earth I'd buy a banjo (gag) and learn to play it. All that hand carving to me is just overdone to the max and the scarred or grooved top makes me think it would sound as dull as a hammer. Only my opinion. Could be right and could be wrong but my opinion nonetheless.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 09-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Hi Stewart...
Glad you got a nice guitar which you enjoy playing.

I hope you grow with it and that you don't take all this thread's ''critical thinking'' personally - after all you just bought an interesting guitar that others find a little too out-of-the-norm.

I wouldn't blame you if you just stop reading this thread and get on with playing your guitar...that's what I'm going to do.

If you are ever through Cheyenne, drop in and we'll share a cup of coffee and play some guitars.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Thanks Larry,
Sounds like an excellent idea on all counts. An if ever I'm in your area a coffee would be great, Thanks so much!!
Old 09-21-2008, 12:12 PM

We are starting to get to a place on this site where luthiers are engaging in pissing contests with increasing frequency. This thread is a great case in point. I love the helpful information from luthiers, but when folks start criticizing one another's work, it has the opportunity to be awfully one-sided and smacks of denigration rather than useful discussion. There is at times an arrogant tone emerging which I don't think is helping any one learn about guitars.

I'm personally not here to read anyone's self promotion -- Blueberry's or anyone else's, if it comes at the cost of denigrating other makers.

Last edited by surfoxy; 09-21-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgadi View Post
We are starting to get to a place on this site where luthiers are engaging in pissing contests with increasing frequency. This thread is a great case in point. I love the helpful information from luthiers, but when folks start criticizing one another's work, it has the opportunity to be awfully one-sided and smacks of denigration rather than useful discussion. There is at times an arrogant tone emerging which I don't think is helping any one learn about guitars.

I'm personally not here to read anyone's self promotion -- Blueberry's or anyone else's, if it comes at the cost of denigrating other makers.
That lets me off the hook.
I'm not a builder!!
Looks like I'm still free to point out when the Emperor has no clothes. !!

I can see your point, but not in this case.
"Blueberry Guitars" is a company, not a "builder".

Up front and open dicsussion of Martin, Gibson, Goodall, COllings, SCGC, Blueridge, etc.. is fine by me.
Input by the pros is particularly appreciated.
When it comes to discussing solo builders...a bit tricky.
There was a long thread discussing this a month or so back.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-21-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Thanks Larry,
Sounds like an excellent idea on all counts. An if ever I'm in your area a coffee would be great, Thanks so much!!
And if you're ever in Malaysia.......

We have similar indigenous wood carvers here too. Maybe you could add some "tattoos" to your Blueberry
These island-dwelling natives can carve amazing, intricate figures out of single blocks of wood.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 09-22-2008, 05:32 AM

Well this has certainly been an interesting thread. It is amazing to me just how many people can pass judgement and have an opinion on the quality of any given guitar without ever having seen on or having played one. From a visual standpoint I can understand that the Groove or any other Blueberry may not be for everyones taste. But to pass judgement on build quality or sound is really surprising. To make comments on the owner of any guitar companies playing ability based on one C chord is ridiculous! As my review said , I am thrilled with the build quality and the playability and sound of the Groove. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. For those that were curious about any of the Blueberry Guitars, I would encourage you to seek one out and give it a try. I personally am very pleased and the folks at Blueberry are awesome people to deal with. Dealing with them was a great experience and I have a great guitar as the end result!! Play on everbody and as they say "to each their own"

Stewart
Old 09-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Well this has certainly been an interesting thread. It is amazing to me just how many people can pass judgement and have an opinion on the quality of any given guitar without ever having seen on or having played one. From a visual standpoint I can understand that the Groove or any other Blueberry may not be for everyones taste. But to pass judgement on build quality or sound is really surprising. To make comments on the owner of any guitar companies playing ability based on one C chord is ridiculous! As my review said , I am thrilled with the build quality and the playability and sound of the Groove. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. For those that were curious about any of the Blueberry Guitars, I would encourage you to seek one out and give it a try. I personally am very pleased and the folks at Blueberry are awesome people to deal with. Dealing with them was a great experience and I have a great guitar as the end result!! Play on everbody and as they say "to each their own"

Stewart
Hi Stewart-
You're right. Enjoy your guitar!
Blueberry's are a controversial subject, apparently!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Hope you injoy it for years to come and Congratulions.
1985 Alvarez Yairi DY74,Sitka& EIR
late 70s or early 80s YAMAHA FS-311,OM(My beater)
Old 09-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Caution: Way too many sensitive people on this forum!
Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Regular Guy

mmmmm...blueberries...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion