The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings for Adirondack top

Why not one more string question huh?

I'm in sort of a conundrum here. I have a RO-T16 with Adirondack top. I've tried these three string types:

Elixir PB lights
D'addario NB lights
and now gypsy jazz lights

All three sound pretty similar on this guitar. Good volume, but a bit thin and lacking bass. I'm thinking of trying silk and steels but just wondering , is this shift to the high range trebles a typical characteristic of Adirondack spruce?

Thanks for any insight. I'm on a bit of a warm, bassy kick right now so I think silk and steels might be the only way. Even the jazz strings sound bright to me.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:25 PM

Hmm OM’s don’t usually have a lot of bass or deep
Bass like a dread wood but you might know that already so moving on . Lol

Is that model laminated mahogany? Either way it more midrange in tone . Only thing I can think of is does have the cheap plastic bridge pins ?

If so that would be the first thing to replace though there’s no guarantee that will help but did help my RO -328 a lot .

As for the strings it’s a crap shoot . I use Elixer Nano webs and Martin Monel or is monal ? I forget lol

Adirondack is a tad brighter more in your face being torrefied I figure it’s already broke in . More clarity but not just the top it’s the rest of the build your up against.

You might have been happier with rosewood back and sides. I have the RO-318 as well which is a hog and it’s well balanced but definitely staying in higher midrange area . These are all solid woods which could make difference as well.

Best of luck . ��

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------

Last edited by Riakstonic; 12-09-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:59 PM

On my Adirondack-topped Martin D-18 I surprised myself by preferring John Pearse 80/20’s on it. They bring greater clarity to the low end response, thus boosting perceived bass response.

So give those a try - you might as well.

whm
Old 12-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I think I would play the OM 15 in your sig when you are in a warm and bassy mood
with that said, my two rosewood adirondack dreads are plenty warm and bassy
Old 12-09-2021, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Back and sides and playing style usually dictate strings more than top IME. Try medium D-Addario NBs. or Martin Retro Mediums. Especially if a mahogany back, to warm it all up.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been experimenting with different strings over the past year and not trying to theorise about woods too much, and I've been pleased with the results.

I have Earthwood Silk and Steels (80/20 blend) on one guitar and for that guitar they sound way better than Martin or Newtone 80/20s. More warmth while still giving the extra trebles that 80/20s are used for.

I also get a lot of warmth from Newtone PB Masterclass, and various GHS stings (Thin Core work great on one guitar while Vintage Bronze suit another with a short neck that made the Thin Core a bit floppy).

Last edited by colins; 12-10-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:34 AM

I had a j45 Tv (2014) which was also on the very bright side.
Tested JP 80/20 bluegrass, monels (bad), d’addario xs (thin) and had by far the best bass with ej16 and ej17. The mediums were good but I preferred the effortless response of the lights.
Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez PS-10BK Paul Stanley
Takamine en-30c
Old 12-10-2021, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
On my Adirondack-topped Martin D-18 I surprised myself by preferring John Pearse 80/20’s on it. They bring greater clarity to the low end response, thus boosting perceived bass response.

So give those a try - you might as well.

whm
I have a Musser dread and am also happy with the John Pearse 80/20.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 12-10-2021, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I had an RO-T16 for awhile. I thought it had surprisingly good bass for a short scale laminated b/s 000. It could just be variation within the model and yours is always destined to be light on the bass or it could develop with some hard playing in time. Adirondack can sound tight with trebles on the harsh side for a good long while before loosening up. I can't say how much the torrefaction process speeds that up. Maybe try a bluegrass gauged set for a heavier bottom end, assuming you're currently using lights.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:11 AM

When I had an RO--T16 I liked monels on it a lot. It wasn't the warmest, bassiest guitar but I really liked the overall balance and tone.

I agree, go with the OM-15 when you are feeling particularly " warm".
Old 12-10-2021, 09:18 AM

You must use special strings for that guitar. The ones only made for stringing over adirondack red spruce. Made from unobtanium.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-10-2021, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

All the strings you list are lights. Adirondack tops typically need to be driven harder. I'd be inclined to try some heavier gauge strings if you want more bass. Bluegrass strings, as mentioned above, might be a good option.

My Eastman E1-OM greatly benefited from a a heavier gauge low E string.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-10-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Great , I'll give some of these suggestions a try. I guess another description of the sound is a bit uncontrolled. It isn't quiet, and it tends to take the new string sound to another level and the strings don't settle down, just keep sounding new. I prefer worn in strings and a warm sound.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

If you like the sound of worn in strings then definitely stay away from Elixirs. As much as I like 80/20s on my Bourgeois, I do find that they wear out pretty quickly... that said, when they're new they're pretty bright.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

okay , I had some Retros lying around that I'd had on my OM-15 (they were just eh on that guitar), just strung up the RO-T16 with them and they aren't bad at all. Similar to the NBs but a tad warmer. Still though, this guitar makes the Retros sound bright! Just sort of boggles the mind since they were too warm and subdued on the all mahogany. Crazytimes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion