The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-03-2024, 03:21 PM

The Schoeps CMC641 mics seem to have solved some or most of my room recording issues. I wish I had a better treatable space, but it is what it is. Sound absorption panels did/do help tremendously in this regard.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm also using the sE8 pair of SDC mics. I fooled around with LDC mics for a while, but placement of two LDC as a spaced pair was not as easy.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-04-2024, 06:52 AM

The Line Audio CM4 or CAD CM217 as heard in Doug Young's comparison vid and can be found used for $47.

Coupled with a LDC for the lower bout. At $199 the TZ Stellar X2 is a well known winner

Spend as little as possible on mics and turn your focus to room tuning
Old 05-04-2024, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOUSTICDEWD View Post
Spend as little as possible on mics and turn your focus to room tuning
Yes, it was hopeless for me until I bought several of these ATS acoustic panels. These panels have sturdy frames so I'm able to stand them up and semi enclose my basement recording area. Without a halfway decent room, spending a lot on mics is throwing money away.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-04-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Yes, it was hopeless for me until I bought several of these ATS acoustic panels. These panels have sturdy frames so I'm able to stand them up and semi enclose my basement recording area. Without a halfway decent room, spending a lot on mics is throwing money away.
In Doug Fearn's excellent "My take on recording" podcast series he has an episode titled something like "The space in which we record". He noted that one of his best "temporary" recording environments was in a small area where he was totally surrounded by shelves full of boxes and parts. It turns out that diffusion can be a really good alternative to treatment to absorb and/or minimize reflections.

His podcasts are a wealth of information from an old school producer (and maker of high end tube based studio preamps, etc.) who knows a bit about audio.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Yep, I have several of those and they are great. I went down the rabbit hole about 10yrs back, building out massive broadband absorbers for my studio (4ft x 8ft) each being about the size of a mattress and made with all the same ATS material (owens corning 703). I got lucky and scored several giant pieces from an acoustic contractor that only did massive arenas.

For those interested in the extreme end of room perfection, look at the YT channel 'making records w/eric valentine" This is mostly about playback - There is also a great doc out there on Neil Youngs 2000 era albums recording process and moving blankets were in heavy use

I recall an old article on James Taylor and how he was tracked in super-dead rooms - the engineer mentioned the use of plexiglass on the floor under him, for some reflection.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Barry-

What configuration and how many panels did you end up using for best effect? I'm sure it depends on the room, but I'm curious about a minimal place to start.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2024, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Barry-

What configuration and how many panels did you end up using for best effect? I'm sure it depends on the room, but I'm curious about a minimal place to start.
As you said really depends on your specific room situation dimensions surfaces etc. and where your recording location in the room will be , both will effect what minimum you might start with

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-06-2024 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Barry-

I have five 2'x4'x4" panels set up in an unperfect U shape in front of me and two 2'x2'x4" behind me. (I play seated).

Not sure if this is the "best" way to do it, I might switch to a V shape so I have more panel to either side of me. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. I'll report back.

In my signature is a track I recorded, "Aria", using my U shape configuration.

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Old 05-10-2024, 06:01 PM

I lean toward a more lively room than some, as long as the capture remains isolated enough to work with. My previous band's studio had quite a large bathroom...no guitars, but did record all the horns in there. They sounded awesome! Don't be reluctant to try some stuff!

The mic I'm using most here in my home studio for guitar, and am pleasantly surprised doing so, is an Aspen Pittman DT-1. I've steadily been using a dual track combo 414 and SM57 setup, with good results, but really am getting very useable tracks with the solo DT-1. Inexpensive as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD