The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 AM

Default "Pinched" Sounding High e String on CA OX

Hi,

Picked up a used CA OX (yes!) and am pretty happy with everything about it *execept* the high e string. It sounds "pinched" or slightly constrained, kind of like when you pluck a string near the bridge, but not quite as extreme.

I've changed the strings, put a little pencil-lead graphite on the nut and saddle groves...it sounds about the same. Also, if I carefully pluck the string vertically --towards the sound hole---as opposed to the normal way, it seems better...

Any ideas? I'm thinking the nut groove may need widened(?)...thanks
JBL EON One Compact
Too many harmonicas!

"I never met a guitar I didn't like..."
Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 AM

Problem with the break angle at the nut or the saddle?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Does it do it fretted or only on the open note? If only open, it's likely the nut slot needs work. If fretted, it's likely a groove in the saddle that needs fixing.

If it does it fretted, try grabbing the string at the saddle and pulling it side to side. If there is a groove, you will feel it. If so, leave the string to one side of the groove and play it. If the pinched sound goes away, there's your problem. Lightly sand and re-crown the saddle (or take it to your favorite repair tech) and you should be good to go.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 PM

You can change out the saddle pretty easily. Get a new one for CA or buy a Tusq made for a Taylor, you will have to sand it to fit. I replace the factory saddle on my Legacy with a Tusq. Before I was getting a body noise when I played the bass E harmonic. Though that was not an issue for may changing to Tusq, with the Tusq that body noise went away.
steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
Does it do it fretted or only on the open note? If only open, it's likely the nut slot needs work. If fretted, it's likely a groove in the saddle that needs fixing.

If it does it fretted, try grabbing the string at the saddle and pulling it side to side. If there is a groove, you will feel it. If so, leave the string to one side of the groove and play it. If the pinched sound goes away, there's your problem. Lightly sand and re-crown the saddle (or take it to your favorite repair tech) and you should be good to go.
Kent,
Seems like it does it on an open-note. What kind of work do you recommend on the nut slot? Slightly wider...?

Thanks for your help!
JBL EON One Compact
Too many harmonicas!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrew View Post
Problem with the break angle at the nut or the saddle?
How tall is the saddle above the bridge? How high is the action at the 12th fret? I've seen CAs with 1/16 or less saddle height, which doesn't give much of a break angle and to my eye indicates an incorrect neck set, or possibly excessive relief that has been adjusted for by lowering the saddle too far.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Fran. I have a CA OX with a weak sounding high E. Saddle with barely a couple 64th's left and action at the 12th fret at 4/64th. I'm gonna have to redo the saddle and compromise with a 5/64 action. It sucks but I like the guitar and bought it used.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:08 PM

The nut can be trickier. The slot probably does not need to be wider. In fact, if it's too wide, that could be a cause. It's more likely that there's a problem with the angle of the slot.

Unless you have a set of nut files, I'd recommend taking it to a pro. It's easy to mess this up and we're really only guessing at the cause at this point too.

But just to see if it is the nut, try pushing the string down behind the nut (or in the nut slot) with one hand while picking with the other. If that fixes it, it's the slot.

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

If it's the saddle, it would happen on all notes, not just the open string. If I'm understanding correctly, this is just the open note, yes?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
The nut can be trickier. The slot probably does not need to be wider. In fact, if it's too wide, that could be a cause. It's more likely that there's a problem with the angle of the slot.
Which brings to mind a question for the OP....The guitar was purchased used. Did you restring it with light gauge strings while the original owner used mediums?

Jim
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsamuel View Post
Which brings to mind a question for the OP....The guitar was purchased used. Did you restring it with light gauge strings while the original owner used mediums?

Jim
Jim,
I put lights (12-53's) on it. The strings on it when it arrived (from an online guitar store) were lights. I don't know what the previous owner had on them. It had been setup by the guitar shop and the action seems good, not crazy low or anything, but good for strumming... I'm a little surprised they didn't notice the pinched e-string.

When I changed the strings last night, the slots did not look warn or anything unusual. Guitar was in perfect shape.

I'm going to try Kent's idea tonight...but pretty sure it's a nut problem. I could probably get a nail file in there, but not really sure what angle I'm trying to achieve...I would assume most guitar shops can do this in 5 minutes...
JBL EON One Compact
Too many harmonicas!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr_scotty View Post
I could probably get a nail file in there, but not really sure what angle I'm trying to achieve...
A little bit of a nut angle discussion here:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Musi...uts/nuts3.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion