The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-10-2024, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Bevel? How beneficial?

I have an intermittently symptomatic R ulnar neuropathy. I am wondering how much benefit I might get from a bevel?
Old 04-10-2024, 02:42 PM

It won't hurt and possibly could help. I have 3 guitars which all have bevels. I had shoulder pain from playing and for sure, a bevel helped me.

I have a friend with nerve related pain in his forearm and he is considering a guitar with a bevel.

Do you have an opportunity to play a guitar with a bevel for any length of time before you purchase one?
Old 04-10-2024, 03:52 PM

There are cushioned arm rests and padded sleeves for guitarists that might be worth a try. Cushioned arm rests fit over the top of most types of guitar and are non-stick. There are several lengths of padded sleeves available some specifically for guitarists and others designed for sports that may help with discomfort.
I avoid playing in short sleeved shirts because I find it uncomfortable and it can damage the finish over time. In hot weather I sometimes put a towel over the top edge of the guitar when practicing in short sleeves.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
It won't hurt and possibly could help. I have 3 guitars which all have bevels. I had shoulder pain from playing and for sure, a bevel helped me.

I have a friend with nerve related pain in his forearm and he is considering a guitar with a bevel.

Do you have an opportunity to play a guitar with a bevel for any length of time before you purchase one?
I can probably find one somewhere. Was planning to have a short scale with a bevel commissioned.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan51 View Post
There are cushioned arm rests and padded sleeves for guitarists that might be worth a try. Cushioned arm rests fit over the top of most types of guitar and are non-stick. There are several lengths of padded sleeves available some specifically for guitarists and others designed for sports that may help with discomfort.
I avoid playing in short sleeved shirts because I find it uncomfortable and it can damage the finish over time. In hot weather I sometimes put a towel over the top edge of the guitar when practicing in short sleeves.
I'll give these options a try. Thank you.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Hi Merle,

As someone who's had extensive experience with ulnar neuropathy - two surgeries on L side and "wait-and-see" intermittence on the R - my experience has been that lower bout width and playing position will make much more of a difference than a bevel.

Put another way, no bevel will offset a big lower bout with significant depth or playing in a position where you're bending the R side far beyond 90 degrees.

Best of luck to you!

Diogo
Old 04-17-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Hi Merle,

As someone who's had extensive experience with ulnar neuropathy - two surgeries on L side and "wait-and-see" intermittence on the R - my experience has been that lower bout width and playing position will make much more of a difference than a bevel.

Put another way, no bevel will offset a big lower bout with significant depth or playing in a position where you're bending the R side far beyond 90 degrees.

Best of luck to you!

Diogo
Ditto this and even a slightly shallower lower bout as well.
Old 04-17-2024, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
I can probably find one somewhere. Was planning to have a short scale with a bevel commissioned.
After a pulverized collarbone I switched to smaller bodied guitars, plus a body bevel. I LOVE the combination and it's substantially increased my playing comfort.

If you're going to have one built here's details and a full construction plan for my beveled body size 0:

Small body 14 fret 24-3/4" Scale Size 0
Old 04-17-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

In my experience a wedge (eg Manzer) type of body construction would help more than a bevel.
Old 04-20-2024, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
After a pulverized collarbone I switched to smaller bodied guitars, plus a body bevel. I LOVE the combination and it's substantially increased my playing comfort.

If you're going to have one built here's details and a full construction plan for my beveled body size 0:

Small body 14 fret 24-3/4" Scale Size 0
Thank you Rudy
Old 04-20-2024, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
In my experience a wedge (eg Manzer) type of body construction would help more than a bevel.
That seems to be the consensus. Thank you

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write