The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-29-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I wonder if they'll replace everything, or just the damaged stuff and carry on?

And, when will be the opening?
Common practice is to replace the entire span.

Simply clearing the wreckage will probably take months. More than likely there will be no new bridge there for several years.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
They were within regulations and that is my point.
Ah I guess I took your post "There were no tugboats" literally to mean there actually were no tugboats involved at any point .

And again now "there are no regulations for them at that time of night". and "They were within regulations" appears to read as contradictory So I am still not clear on what you are saying
Now if you're saying the Regs should dictate that the tugs should take the ship out past the bridge 24/7 ? then I would agree (baring some actual logistical reason not to)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-30-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Simply clearing the wreckage will probably take months. More than likely there will be no new bridge there for several years.
As far as the clean up goes... My son who is in the Coast Guard and on a buoy tender out of NC was told to prepare to head to up the bay to Balt for an extended timeframe as they look to help in clean up efforts.

I know they are also moving other assets into the region for assistance. Clean up activities should start as soon as the investigation allows.
1998 Fender Jazz Base
2001 Fender Stratocater - Eric Clapton Edition
2006 Taylor GS 8
2008 Fender Stratocaster - John Mayer Edition
2012 Takamine 12 String
2022 Fender Acoustasonic Player Telecaster
Fender Deluxe 900 Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tube Amp
Bose L1 Pro8
Old 03-29-2024, 09:10 AM

Biggest crane on the east coast is on site already. The article I read said the first thing they're focusing on after the recovery effort, is to figure out how to cut the large portion of bridge into small enough pieces to safely lift off the ship.

The crane is capable of lifting 2 mil lbs. They're estimating the large portion of bridge to be roughly 9 mil lbs.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:46 AM

My first thought was why didn't the ship captain or pilot drop all the anchors?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
My first thought was why didn't the ship captain or pilot drop all the anchors?
Several news sources and photos support that was done, and also explain how long it takes to stop that much weight in motion.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Several news sources and photos support that was done, and also explain how long it takes to stop that much weight in motion.
Yes, I believe that's correct. Also, a ship like this underway might need as much or more than a mile in order to come to a full stop.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-30-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Indeed.

I would think removing, and rebuilding a bridge of that size would take a few years at least.

You have to wonder if the port will lose considerable business long term. I mean, once other systems are put into place, other locations and such, it seems it would be hard to get that business back.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 03-30-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Indeed.

I would think removing, and rebuilding a bridge of that size would take a few years at least.

You have to wonder if the port will lose considerable business long term. I mean, once other systems are put into place, other locations and such, it seems it would be hard to get that business back.
Wise design and improvements could also make it more desirable than ever. The nonstop nature of ports makes improvements hard to do.

I get a lot of info and news on distribution and transportation from being in food industry. Our cabin neighbor works for one of the huge national trucking firms that also does drayage and hub/spoke. They can't roll out the electric semi tractors fast enough because the construction projects are so delayed. It gave me the thought that a lot of strategic improvements could get done as a tangent from this disaster.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Thinking about how long it will take to rebuild. Nice that they don't have to worry much about earthquakes like we do here. Don't know the depth or the harbor or how much current they're dealing with, those would be factors.

If they can quickly come to a consensus on the design of the bridge, it might go more quickly than many fear. Modern bridge design has come a long way since truss-style bridges like this. Sounds like the more modern cable-stayed designs have more pillar protection by default, and as has been mentioned, they're going to want to install dolphins to protect it. But they're expensive.

Sounds like funding will clear quickly. I'm hopeful it'll be faster than we might expect. I wouldn't be surprised by a 2 year timeline.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Thinking about how long it will take to rebuild. Nice that they don't have to worry much about earthquakes like we do here. Don't know the depth or the harbor or how much current they're dealing with, those would be factors.

If they can quickly come to a consensus on the design of the bridge, it might go more quickly than many fear. Modern bridge design has come a long way since truss-style bridges like this. Sounds like the more modern cable-stayed designs have more pillar protection by default, and as has been mentioned, they're going to want to install dolphins to protect it. But they're expensive.

Sounds like funding will clear quickly. I'm hopeful it'll be faster than we might expect. I wouldn't be surprised by a 2 year timeline.
Dolphins ? I just saw a video of a bridge somewhere that had big concrete (what I call bumper or /barriers ) both up and down stream of the bridge supports and not connected to the bridge supports

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-30-2024, 09:20 AM

I follow the Youtube channel of a tugboat captain who arrived at the port of Baltimore about six hours before the bridge collapse:

https://youtu.be/OSUg7XxV3g0?si=aTcoXDoh_Cd3WP_f

He posted an informed video about how tugboats can/cannot assist large container ships while they are underway:

https://youtu.be/IsdZVp0opsQ?si=P1d0yy1LhifCzUr2

He is pretty good about judging the momentum of large floating objects - not so sure about his e=mc^2 comments though!

https://youtu.be/IiLT2JHeBOQ?si=rZD1M5i8oOSbfT2N
Old 03-30-2024, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Dolphins ? I just saw a video of a bridge somewhere that had big concrete (what I call bumper or /barriers ) both up and down stream of the bridge supports and not connected to the bridge supports
I thought that's what they were called. Yes, looked it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_(structure)

If I'm using that term incorrectly someone please LMK. I'm certainly not an engineer of any kind.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic