The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 08:51 AM

Default ThroBak strings...anyone try these?

https://www.throbak.com/store/p41/Th...r_Strings.html

Has anyone tried these strings? A little pricey but it’s good to see another round core option out there. Looks like you can choose between tinned or bronze coated trebles as well.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 09-16-2018, 08:58 AM

I tried them a few years back when it was hard to get Newtones for some reason.

They are good strings. A bit bright at first, but when they're played in they sound great. I think they're made in Michigan?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I've tried 12s and 13s in PB, with the gold-coloured plain strings. I'd class them as 'OK', no better or worse than any other string I've tried. Unfortunately, they are apparently made from 'Unobtainium' here in the UK, so I had to pay a big upcharge for shipment from the US, which made them too expensive for too little reward.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have tried them and found them to be good sounding strings. They didn’t last as long for me as Newtones and I do prefer the tone of the Newtones. But they have a good feel.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-16-2018, 11:13 AM

I use their round core PBs on and off. Good strings. Not outstanding. They do play in quickly, producing a less metalic sound. I have them on my HD-28 presently. They sound good. I like their DADGAD balanced set.

A good string to have in a rotation.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Newtones, verses, Throbaks, verses Sunbeams Tension?

Hey Jaymarsh,
Roundcore strings have recently rocked my world. Currently I am using Dr. Sunbeams and I love them. They give the feel of lighter tension...but from my understanding they are only 3% less tension. And that is a good thing for me. I need some tension to drive my top and playing style.
Yet at 13 to 56 set gives me the feeling of a lighter gauge. Gives me the big sound with a lighter feel. This is probably due to the fact that the string is more bendable due to non hex core stiffness. I believe there is a difference between Stiffness and tension.
Can you describe the difference in Sound & Tension Between Throbak, Dr. Sunbeam, and Masterclass Newtones? You mentioned that you like the tone of Newtones best? What is that tone difference, if you please. I have not yet tried the other two brands.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:03 PM

liked them. Still prefer Thomastik Plectrums. Made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion