The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default National Single Cone String Height Adjustment

I have a National vintage steel single cone roundneck guitar that I want to use more frequently in standard tuning than I have up to this point.

The action is a little higher than the height recommended by National (.140 (high E) and .150 (low E) from the fretboard to the bottom of the string at the the 12th fret)

I've only got to lower the action a 32nd or so to get it into the right spec. Any suggestions? Is the only way to cut the slots in the biscuit a little deeper?

Any suggestions or explanations on this issue would be most appreciated. I'm pretty ignorant of resonator guitar setup.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:55 PM

I don't know.
but, you might consider asking these guys:

http://www.resohangout.com/forum/
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I think deeper slots is the way to go as long as there's enough material there that the saddle can take it.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I think deeper slots is the way to go as long as there's enough material there that the saddle can take it.
...as long as there is enough angle from the bridge to tailpiece (it doesn't need to be much, and since it starts out pretty shallow to begin with - just a couple of degrees, not the steeper angle you see on Dobros - you don't have all that much room for adjustment).
Correct string height on a National is a combination of correct bridge height and correct neck angle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion