The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Question for Martin oooo/m owners

Hi folks, so I bought an oooo-18 several months ago and for the most part really like it. It has a great tone, very focused, and balanced, and is quite playable. My only issue with the guitar is the sustain - it doesn't have a lot of sustain which some of the dreads I've owned have. Is that typical for the 0000s given that there is less depth in the body compared to a dread or jumbo? A couple of other facors: guitar has an Adirondack top and I'm using medium gauge 13s) strings, perhaps the adi top is taking a while to open up? I really do love the tone and I think the guitar records really well but am concerned about the sustain in terms of live playing. Looks forward to any thoughts you may have. Thanks! Mike
Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

It's just going to need some play in time to loosen and settle in . It took my M36 about 7months to finally begin to get the sustain and response that I'd hoped for . Try some lights ,12-53... What you gain in balance and mids might be offset with the perceived loss of a dreadnoughts bottom end.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
It's just going to need some play in time to loosen and settle in . It took my M36 about 7months to finally begin to get the sustain and response that I'd hoped for . Try some lights ,12-53... What you gain in balance and mids might be offset with the perceived loss of a dreadnoughts bottom end.
I hear ya Mike........I only just purchase a M-36 and I noticed the same. Very balance though.

Cheers rumble, I hope mine will do likewise. I have Pearce lights on mine and have just purchased SP lights hoping maybe it might improve it. Well at list I have something to look forward to in 7 mths or more.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Hi folks, so I bought an oooo-18 several months ago and for the most part really like it. It has a great tone, very focused, and balanced, and is quite playable. My only issue with the guitar is the sustain - it doesn't have a lot of sustain which some of the dreads I've owned have. Is that typical for the 0000s given that there is less depth in the body compared to a dread or jumbo? A couple of other facors: guitar has an Adirondack top and I'm using medium gauge 13s) strings, perhaps the adi top is taking a while to open up? I really do love the tone and I think the guitar records really well but am concerned about the sustain in terms of live playing. Looks forward to any thoughts you may have. Thanks! Mike
I had a 0000-18 with the golden era bracing and noticed a definite improvement in sustain when switching from mediums to lights. I felt like the mediums were choking the top and there was a fuller tone when using lights with possibly a slight decrease in power.

I think I settled on the Martin 12.5-55 set for that guitar when I owned it because it split the difference between lights and mediums. I'd say give that and lights a try.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:04 AM

A Martin 0000-18 which is adirondack spruce over mahogany will not have as much sustain as spruce over rosewood as in an M-36 model. Just the nature of the wood. You'll get a balanced, quick, woody, drier (clearer), sound with mahogany which should be strong on fundamentals (less sustain). With time your guitar will "loosen" up and sustain more but not to the extent of a rosewood guitar. I own a Martin MC DSM model which is an Italian alpine spruce over koa which is the same size (0000) as yours. Like mahogany it is very balanced with a bit sweeter trebles and nice harmonics.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm going to try a set of lights and see how they work out. And keep playing it!
Old 12-27-2015, 08:44 PM

I've never found either my '80 M-38 or my MC-DSM wanting for sustain. I usually string 'em with MSP-4150 (.0125 -.055)
Old 12-27-2015, 10:06 PM

Default Question for Martin oooo/m owners

Have 12-53s on mine and it has plenty of sustain.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi folks, quick update: I switched to light gauge (12/53s) and there is a noticeable improvement in the sustain. Slightly less meet but overall better projection and response. Thanks for the comments! This forum is the place to be!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 AM

I've never noticed a lack of sustain on my M-38, though it's almost 39 years old and well played-in. FWIW, I've never used anything heavier than typical industry standard lights on it. I have a dread with mediums if I need extra volume, and that usually only happens at outdoor bluegrass jams.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

My 1980 M36 has plenty of sustain. It was played by a working musician the first twenty years of it's life.

The M/0000 shape is the sleeper guitar of all Martins, except maybe the J.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion