The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2001, 02:00 PM

Post Hot-Rodding a Fishman

My 714CE came with a standard dual transducer Fishman system with an under-saddle piezo and a small mic attached to the electronics unit. Has anyone tried replacing the mic with a higher-end mic? Can it be done? I'm guessing the mic that comes with it is a $50 or less mic -- and I have to believe a better mic would sound better.
Old 04-23-2001, 03:43 PM
Bob Womack

Lightbulb

Well, here are your considerations:

1. Frequency response: Believe it or not, you probably don't want a wide-range mic in the body of your guitar because reproduction of the frequencies above and below the range of the guitar can do nothing but contribute to feedback. My bets are that Fishman has taken this into consideration.

2. Preamp: You'd want a mic which has the same rough gain structure as the onboard mic so you don't overload the dedicated preamp.

3. Powering: If it is a condensor (and I assume that's what you would use) the new mic would need to accept the same power supply as the original.

4. Pattern: A cardiod wouldn't do because you are inside the sound source. You want an omni.

Hope some of this helps. I can imagine it would take some work to find a better mic which would also fit the electronic characteristics of the preamp and the application. You might want to talk to the engineering team over at Fishman and ask this question. I'd bet they'd be willing to discuss it.

Bob
Old 04-23-2001, 04:29 PM

Cool

I think the blender system in your 714CE comes with a decent mic. I think moving to a better Amp would be better. Ive never been tempted to change the blender mic. and I usally cant leave anything alone. Just my opinion.JW
Old 04-24-2001, 10:45 AM

Hey man,

A good friend of mine works for Fishman and I asked him that same question because I just got a 2001 714c and before I got it I was wondering if I should just get the on-board blender and then have their tech "hot rod" it with one of the crown mics. They said "no can do". Apparently there is something with the wiring or something that won't allow it. sorry. You may want to contact fishman and double check but that is what they told me.

peace,
gg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion