The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2001, 05:24 PM

Post Left wanting

Just wanted to share an experience I had. I went into a shop while on the road yesterday, shopping around for a guitar in the $500-$600 range. I played a few guitars, ranging from a cheap washburn ($199) to a Tak ($1500), just listening and feeling. The first guitar I played, though, was a Big Baby. I played others, and kept having this deep inner longing to play the Baby again. I have been searching for that "one" guitar that is a keeper for about 3 years now, and have gone through about 8 or 10 of em, and have spent way too much money. But I have now seen the light and am going to spend the $600 I hope to get for my Ovation Elite (anyone interested?) on a Big Baby and a Baby M, both with pickguards and pickups to be installed later.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 11-09-2001, 05:43 PM

To continue, bottom line, I want a Taylor and having only $600 I can't quite afford a 310 so I'll get two Taylors. I know I won't regret. (By the way, the reason I can get two for $600 is guitar trader.com)

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 11-10-2001, 12:44 PM
Cocobologist

Hi Matt -

First off - Welcome to the forum!!

I'm a bit confused. The first post sounds like the Big Baby is the one you want, but the second post reveals your true desire is the 310. Is this correct?

I know it's tempting to go for the "2-for-1" option, but have you thought about suffering through a bit longer with the Ovation and saving the extra cash needed for the 310? Think about it for a moment -- If you can tuck away $10 a week, in just over four months you'll have the extra $200 needed to get a new 310.

The tempation of immediate gratification is powerful! We've all been through the same situation before at one time or another. If you were to ask my wife, she'd tell you -- Every time I brought home a new guitar, I'd tell her even though it wasn't a Taylor, it was a really good one. A week or two later, it was either up for sale or returned because it wasn't a Taylor. I finally wised up and stopped throwing good money after bad, and saved enough to get my 514ce. The satisfaction of knowing I didn't settle for second best is worth every agonizing minute of anticipation I had to endure, toiling away to earn the extra cash needed to buy the guitar I truly wanted.

Okay, maybe that was a little melodramatic, but I think you get the idea. I recommend holding off a bit longer, save a bit more, and get the guitar you REALLY want - One that will be the real keeper!

Hope this helps,
Dave

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 11-10-2001, 09:45 PM

Cool

Email me at [email protected] Thanks JW
Old 11-12-2001, 02:48 PM

thanks for the counseling, Gutch. That has been my big problem since I have began playing, that I have to find that perfect guitar. It almost becomes overwhelming at times, and I lose sleep thinking about what I want. I hear and read about so many people who have these great ol' guitars they have had for years and would never give up. I haven't found any yet and definately have a huge case of GAS. I want the "pill" to cure my ills, and I think a taylor is it. I am going to keep playing, and not pay attention to my emotions and desire for instant gratification and take my time and but the "one".

1998 Very Sweet Wife

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion