The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Do you use you pick as a tone knob?

Don’t we all?

Differing attack angles, turning the pick to use a different tip, closer to or further away from the bridge, yadda yadda. Done those things pretty much automatically for the past 60+ years.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-17-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Here's a rabbit hole: even if you don't like Fender Celluloid Mediums (or Heavys, pick one) buy a pack of tortoise, a couple different solid colors, and Clown Vomit if they have it. Compare tone, feel and "bendiness."
This is absolutely true in my experience: For the first seven or eight years, I played a Fender Heavy red most of the time. It felt stiffer than the tortoise pattern celluloid. When I moved to the Extra Heavy, I noticed a difference in stiffness and wear between solid colors and the various patterns.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
\\

1.2 mm is pretty much my sweet spot. If all that were available were .5 or .6, I'd be doing finger style exclusively.
I'm just learning this now. I got a new guitar and realized once I got it home that it was so bright and was really worried about it. I was using a really thin pick. Switched to a 1mm and 1.5mm, which I've never used on an acoustic before, and man I can't believe the difference. The guitar sounds amazing now.. so much more tone and it's not fatiguing at all anymore.

The clicky pick sound on the strings is a problem though that you don't get with thin picks. Strumming is also more fun and easy with a thin pick although I probably just need to learn the technique of strumming with a thick pick.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movehome View Post
I'm just learning this now. I got a new guitar and realized once I got it home that it was so bright and was really worried about it. I was using a really thin pick. Switched to a 1mm and 1.5mm, which I've never used on an acoustic before, and man I can't believe the difference. The guitar sounds amazing now.. so much more tone and it's not fatiguing at all anymore.

The clicky pick sound on the strings is a problem though that you don't get with thin picks. Strumming is also more fun and easy with a thin pick although I probably just need to learn the technique of strumming with a thick pick.
As an alternative or addition to going thicker a more rounded pick shape (the part you hit the strings with) or a different pick material will change the "pick click" and make strumming easier.

I'm staying with my son and his family this week. My daughter in law has a nice dread so I have been playing songs for my grandchildren. She only has a Fender medium teardrop pick. So I just flipped it on its side and that gives me a mellow tone and easy strum.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-05-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
a more rounded pick shape (the part you hit the strings with) or a different pick material will change the "pick click"
The roundness is like another knob.

I tend to prefer the Wegen BG100 roundness.

It's not too round, yet not too sharp.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-05-2024, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
\\

1.2 mm is pretty much my sweet spot. If all that were available were .5 or .6, I'd be doing finger style exclusively.
My feelings exactly.
Old 04-05-2024, 12:36 PM

Besides moving my pick closer to the fingerboard and closer to the bridge to change one, I also sometimes strum at an angle to adjust treble vs. bass relative to each other.

Taylor K24ce Limited all Koa
Taylor C21e All Tasmanian Blackwood Custom
Old 04-05-2024, 06:19 PM

I use a tortex 1.15, and I can get any tone I want depending on how I hold the pick, how much of it is sticking out, the angle of the pick, and where I pluck the string in relation to the bridge. Doesn't everyone?
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion