The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Flying V

At the local pawn shop today I saw what appears to be a very good price on a Gibson Flying V. It is a flat cherry color, has dual humbuckers and some unique looking "crescent moon" inlays for fret markers.

Unfortunately I know very little about Flying V's or Gibsons in general and it seems like the value of them is all over the place (though a new one from GC looks to start around $1000, and this one is in the neighborhood of half that).

Best I have found online looks like this is some sort of 1967 reissue that was discontinued in 2003 or so. Anyone else have some inputs?

Looks like this
http://www.flying-v.ch/02_faded/02_faded.html
Martin D35-Johnny Cash #563
1998 Taylor 810
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM

I think you could buy that faded cherry model new for like around $650. still same pick ups and hardware as the higher end gloss Flying V.

little higher now I guess
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...FZE-MgodoEEASw
Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I picked up this "V-Factor" Flying V used at GC for just under $400 a few years ago:

The main difference appears to be regular dot markers. It's got that Flying V spank and is fun to play. It came with a gig bag. I put the classic knobs on it. I spied this particular example in a GC, across the room, hanging among the sad, used guitars. Despite having lived an active life and picked up some bruises, it called my name. Unfortunately, by the time I decided to plunk down my pesos the next day, someone had come along and put it on layaway. When I went into the store a month later, as I checked out an amplifier, a salesman was in the process of returning the guitar to the wall for sale. It seems the person who bought it changed his mind. On the spot I snapped it up, threw the gig bag over my shoulder, and headed home. It just seemed like it was meant to be.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2013, 05:40 PM

I've always liked the Flying V. And I would've bought one 25 years ago, and played it!
Today, I just don't see myself playing the Flying V...it would sit in its guitar case like all my other electrics right now.
I can't see myself buying one unless they're practically "giving it away".
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Watch this, and you might get that V out of the case again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeY9IRnVmk8
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the responses... this one is in almost "as new" condition, still has the protective film on the pick guard, no scratches.. A bit of "belly polish" on the back side but that's the only sign of wear I could find. It has a Gibson case but I didn't look at it to see if it's hard-shell or gig-bag.

What is "worse" about this compared to a "standard" flying V.

Seems like a good deal but maybe not an unbelievable deal. Will have to think about it more.
1998 Taylor 810
Old 02-24-2013, 07:14 PM

what is worse? well I guess you could say a high gloss finish( I prefer the feel of the faded- more satin like) and a hardshell case vs gig bag. I would not worry about pulling the trigger one bit. that guitar is every bit a REAL Flying V as the standard version.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM

of all the gibsons I owned this was my favorite. I liked it better than the Les Paul. Balanced and nice hot pick ups and neck that played like butter.

the extremely long case( made it hard to transport in compact cars lol) and tail piece I would always worry about hitting in tight quarters is why I sold it. Still one of the favs of any electric I have owned.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM

The history of heavy metal is the history of flying Vs. Grats! Fantastic looking guitar too.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM

I was never much of a Flying V guy, but I do love Dave Flett and he impressed the heck out of me with his (skip to 3:35):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcWVL4B-4pI
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Watch this, and you might get that V out of the case again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeY9IRnVmk8
And that is exactly why I own a Flying V, and a Strat. Ted Turner's little clean Strat break at 2:17 is just gorgeous. Those two guitars just sound great together. Of course The King Will Come is pretty cool too, and Throw Down the Sword.

Bob

Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM

welp, It's sittin at the pawn shop with my name on it waiting for me to come up with the rest of the $$..
1998 Taylor 810
Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM

can't say i've seen a red x factor version. they were usually in matte black along with an sg, and an explorer with one crescent inlay at the 12th.

they're nice guitars. a little difficult for me to sit with, but standing up they're fine. does it have the ribbed rubber strip on the bottom edge?

good job!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
can't say i've seen a red x factor version. they were usually in matte black along with an sg, and an explorer with one crescent inlay at the 12th.

they're nice guitars. a little difficult for me to sit with, but standing up they're fine. does it have the ribbed rubber strip on the bottom edge?

good job!
This has 5 crescents, ebony fretboard and no rubber strip.. And don't worry about that price tag, they came waaay down from there.

1998 Taylor 810
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Marvy!!! Ebony board should be nice.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars