The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Just to muddy the naming waters a bit more....I am playing my two 12-fret guitars side by side, and realized this: my Jack Straw 000-18 Norman Blake (based off the Martin) has a TRUE 14 fret, square shoulder body with identical dimensions as a Martin OM, but is labeled a 000. My Bourgeois OMS 12-fret is labeled an OM, but actually has the rounded shoulders, and slightly larger upper bout of a true 12-fret 000. Go figure!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff2 View Post
Might send AGFer Boone an email about the 12 fret om ala Norman Blake model he had custom built by DC phenom luthier Todd Stock. Incredible sound comes out of that guitar and it's an absolute beauty. Only a year or so old, it figures to get even better.

Jeff
This supports my contention that the design is wonderful!
Old 08-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
This is a somewhat silly debate. The C.F. Martin Guitar Company, despite its grand heritage, doesn't have a monopoly on nomenclature. That said, the "definition" of a guitar is defined only by it's builder, not by what Martin originally called it. Therefore, if Bill Collings, or Dana Bourgeois, or Richard Hoover, etc., want to call an Orchestra Model with a 12-fret join a OM-12, or offer a 12-fret join or short-scale as an OM option, then that's what it is. I love Martin's, but they don't define all of guitardom...
Yeah,I know, and the whole origins of the "Orchestra Model" was faulted as neither the 000 nor the dreadnought OM were ever going to compete with the Gibson L-5 and its close relatives for "orchestra" rhythm work.

But that is why CFM redesigned the neo classical 000 design - to convert it from a solo instrument to a rhythm box.

Although I am a dedicated 12 fret kinda guy, one has to recognise that the Martin OM design has become a firm favourite for many modern finger-stylists.

One of many fascinating and apparent "mis-appropriations" of 20th C designs - like the National resophonic that was designed for, again orchestra use (too heavy) and as a louder Hawaiian - just as it went out of fashion! Certainly I doubt that the Dopera Brothers ever thought about bottleneck blues guitar of dobros in bluegrass !

Back to OMs - for me OM means a long skinny neck for rhythm, and a 000 means a wider neck more suited to intricate fretting work.

Of course, you can use a saucepan for a soapdish, or hammer for a screwdriver.

It's all good fun and we all find our preferences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion