The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 PM

Of course any mods to a well known higher end acoustic will devalue. The only question is by how much and that depends on whether the mod is a really easy to reverse one such as a different saddle material or different bridge pin material, or one that is hard to impossible to reverse such as a different electronics set up, or an impossible one to reverse such as the added on inlays on your guitar. From what I can see on your guitar the dot inlays do not appear to be professionally done since on my computer screen they appear to be white such as boltaron or maybe mother of pearl while the inlay that was done by the maker appears to be in some kind of abalone or paua? Mismatched inlays stick out like a sore thumb and to me they do not look professional. Also, adding inlays after a guitar is built is something most luthiers would not attempt. Inlays are done during the construction process before a fretboard is finally shaped so that the sanding and polishing process of the overall fretboard levels the inlays and the top of the fretboard perfectly. Adding inlays after all of that has been done often results in the inlays not being perfectly flush or the fretboard being sanded down around the inlays making the overall fretboard profile a bit different.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion