The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-24-2016, 07:20 AM

For purists it devalues it. Otherwise it doesn't increase the instruments value in any way other than mentally or if you intend to have it done anyway and it saves you time and money by not having to pay for it done.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
It's reasonably easy to hide plugged dots on an ebony board. A good repairman would fit them tightly, align the grain, and they would become nearly invisible. Five dots shouldn't be more than $250, or less depending on the region.
I don't know about hiding them. Folks are buying guitars with microscope in hand these days.

Right or wrong, in general any mod devalues a guitar. Of course there are exceptions but in general...Given there is already a pretty significant Santa Cruz inlay in abalone, I think matching the appearance of the dots would be important. The hit would be worse if the dots were say much lighter than the Santa Cruz inlay. Which appears to be the case in the photo.

The whole signature model thing complicates it further. Though many folks buy a guitar for what it does, there is no doubt that this guitar has a feature set that goes with the signature and changing that feature set could narrow the market.

While, in general, I would not let that mod stop me from buying the guitar, poorly matched dots might. It would be very hard for me to fix a depreciated value for the mod. I tend to buy for the long haul and rarely sell so, at that high an initial investment, I wouldn't let a potential $200 or so loss on resale value slow me down. If you are this worried about the flip, I suggest moving on.

hunter
Old 08-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Clearly, the impact on the guitar's value will depend on the buyer. I wouldn't be bothered by the dots at all but might be put off by having the dots pulled and ebony plugs put in their place. Others have expressed just the opposite view. I wouldn't be shocked if some people special ordered signature guitars that were normally dotless and specified the insertion of dots from the factory. Those folks would likely consider the inclusion of the dots a plus, although not necessarily one they'd pay more for in a used instrument. We don't really know what percentages of potential buyers fall into each of these various categories: dots raise value, dots don't influence value, dots lower value, prefer ebony plugs over dots, etc. I guess the added dots might provide a potential buyer with a point to haggle over. So, I think it comes down to the aesthetic preferences and negotiating aggressiveness of the individual buyer.

There's always something about any guitar that a buyer may wish were otherwise. I've certainly seen old guitars in original condition that I'd never consider buying because they had a feature I disliked. That doesn't mean that I'd recommend or prefer that the guitar be modified. But it does mean I'd look elsewhere. And had the guitar been modified early in its life, I might actually prefer it. My point is, in a non-vintage instrument, I think there's a wide range of variability regarding the acceptability of a mod of this magnitude. Some may prefer it with the dots, some may not. Some may not buy it because of the dots. Others won't care all that much. Still others won't know the difference and won't really care whether the dots were added originally or added later. If this were a guitar I wanted and I felt that the price was commensurate with my desire for it, I wouldn't let the dots stop me. I'd actually be more put off (to refer back to Wade's post) if electronics had been added. I see that as more invasive and of no value to me whatsoever. But we're all different.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 AM

It all depends who wants your guitar. Some don't care, but some buyers do.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

That's a great looking guitar. Those dots wouldn't bother me one bit.

But then I'm the guy who just put a K&K and a Holter pickguard on my newly-acquired 000-28EC. Changed the white bridge pins to ebony, too.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:15 AM

You'd have to find that one particular buyer who wants that particular guitar with that exact particular mod to get what a non-modded used version of the same guitar would go for, otherwise, yes, you should expect to take a hit on the modded guitar if you are the seller.

In this case though I don't think the dots look out of place or unusual. If it's a good player and you really like the guitar, use the mod of the addition of the fret markers as leverage to negotiate.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:00 PM

I think anyone familiar with how the model is supposed to look would be put off by the addition of the dots. SCGC did a wonderful job in designing that instrument both from a visual and audible standpoint. From a resale perspective even if someone likes the dots, you've planted the idea that other parts of the instrument could have been altered, for better or worse. I would wait for an unmodified example, personally.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
For what it's worth I definitely don't expect it to add to the value. It's a matter of will I be taking a hit and how bad.

OMG - they just jump right out at you on the tony rice model, don't they!!!

just kidding, but i'm no purist.

i guess they are like swimming pools or extra garages - the owners totally think they add value but everyone else sees them as something to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Have you played it?

If not, I'd be much more worried about that fact than the mod.
unless you are looking to flip it, let's not overlook this important piece of advice.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F512 View Post
I think anyone familiar with how the model is supposed to look would be put off by the addition of the dots. SCGC did a wonderful job in designing that instrument both from a visual and audible standpoint. From a resale perspective even if someone likes the dots, you've planted the idea that other parts of the instrument could have been altered, for better or worse. I would wait for an unmodified example, personally.
hi f512, welcome to the forum.

just so you know, my post above wasn't specifically to you, i started writing it after reading page 2.

also, i was just joking around - but it's funny to think of the glaring right out because one knows the model - even though i'm sure that's how it works.

p.s. another way to look at the dots was that someone liked the guitar so much they were sure it was a keeper, so added the dots. then later their tastes changed. you wouldn't add the dots to a flipper!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Been thinking a lot about this thread...I really like the way this Dread looks, and I'd frankly consider the dots a pretty big plus, but I'd also expect to pay less than the market value for the guitar because of the mod. For any signature model, or for guitars above a certain price point, I think mods always hurt resale value.

On the other hand, below a certain market value ($2,000?) professionally done mods (such as: pickup install; saddle, nut, pin upgrades; tuner upgrade; strap button install on the heel; case upgrade), can actually add to the value of the guitar (particularly for certain potential buyers looking for those exact features, who would otherwise be expecting to pay for them after the purchase).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-25-2016, 12:54 PM

I think it just means it's not a Tony Rice model anymore.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 PM

I agree with everyone else, of course, that it depends on the buyer, etc. But it is kind of funny to me that we're talking about mods to a Tony Rice Signature model. I mean, TR's guitar (the one Clarence White owned) was also modified (new fingerboard, enlarged soundhole) when he acquired it. So, I guess if I wanted to be like TR (and let's face it, I do), part of me would think it was kinda cool to find my own modified guitar.

Then again, I'd probably expect a discount, too.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Been thinking a lot about this thread...
You know what that means, Ed, you have too much time on your hands.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

This is an additional answer for me.

With a second look at the guitar and knowing what they normally look like it dawned on me that this one looks odd because of the dots.

Think of it this way. Take a D-28 with some added difference and throw a picture on a Martin forum. Then get out of the way of posts it'll bring.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM

Bob wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
... I'd actually be more put off (to refer back to Wade's post) if electronics had been added. I see that as more invasive and of no value to me whatsoever. But we're all different.
You know, I understand what you're saying here, but the funny thing is that adding electronics often makes guitars sell faster.

Any guitar I get that I intend use in performance gets a pickup installed. It's a feature that I need, but I've never cared much for most factory-installed electronics. I'd much rather choose a guitar based on its acoustic tone, then add high quality electronics afterwards.

But I don't keep all these guitars, so they get sold off after I'm done using them.

On several occasions, the fact that the guitar had a pickup in it has been what's clinched the sale; more than once buyers have said:

"Well, I've been needing a guitar with a pickup in it."

Now, I don't do this with vintage, collectors item guitar, but with professional quality contemporary guitars. If I was primarily interested in prewar guitars, I wouldn't be putting pickups in them. But with modern guitars? Always. It really does seem to make them sell faster.

So as you wrote, Bob, it just has to do with the needs and preferences of the buyers themselves.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion