The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 PM

The dots are there, and cannot easily be undone. Don't make things worse by trying to hide it. That would not be invisible and would only raise suspicions.

I find them fine, but I am not a purist looking for that specific model.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 PM

Purists won't want it either way. The rest will fall into camps that like the look, and those that don't. If you're not in a hurry to sell, you can hold the line on price for someone who likes the look.

I wouldn't backfill a pool to appeal to buyers who don't like pools. I'd wait for a home buyer who likes a pool.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Drew, the TR models are awesome guitars .... in the spirit of the Martin classic they are based on, but with typical SC balance, playability and quality. My favorite thing about it compared to rosewood Martins I've had is the balance is so sweet, none of that bottom end biased muddiness (which is simultaneously the patenteted Martin sound everyone wants:-) The only reason I traded mine was the nut, and I'm still wondering if that was wise:-) I would play it if possible, but also keep in mind there are a fair number of these on the used market, so you can probably find an un-modified one for a similar price. I know where a fantastic 2001 model is for a pretty good price (not pristine shape, but incredible tone). The after-market inlays (I like no inlays) wouldn't matter if you are going to keep it.

Have you played it? And also, do you like 1 11/16 nuts? I didn't, but I don't think I would let it set me off again. BTW it's the best strummer I've ever had, though it does everything well if you don't mind dread size (I obviously don't).

Good luck with the decision!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Default If a mod is done well to a stock guitar does it change value?

I would buy with playing and keeping in mind, and think less about resale. Resale is always a loss. The idea is to find one you love playing and keep it. I would think the dots would be very useful and would help you long term. But, I'm not a collector, and don't care about signature models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Lack of markers might prevent many from buying a TR - inclusion of nicely done markers could increase the value of it to a number of players, just like a mod to a 1-¾ nut, or maybe a few other minor cosmetic changes that do not change the signature tone or quality of the build. You may want to check with Santa Cruz - they do many custom modifications even on "signature" models, as their goal is to build the guitar the buyer wants, and simple things like dots, or bindings, or headplates, or tuners, or even dots, are no big deal at all and regularly done.

If the modification makes it more playable to you, or is an upgrade from the "standard" equipment regularly included, then it does not reduce the value in any way to a guitarist - if anyone says it does, then they are speaking as collectors or flippers. If you don't like it, then pass on it and find another. But if you like markers on your guitar, buying this one would save you the cost of having some installed yourself -
Old 08-23-2016, 10:54 PM

that one is questionable since it would then be up to you as the prospective buyer as to whether you like the mod and was willing to pay what they are asking.

if it was changing to a bone nut or saddle, it shouldn't affect the value at all.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-24-2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The dots are there, and cannot easily be undone. Don't make things worse by trying to hide it. That would not be invisible and would only raise suspicions.

I find them fine, but I am not a purist looking for that specific model.
I agree. The dots are in there. Unless you replaced the entire fingerboard and put the "scgc" inlay back in its original position, there's no pretending that the modification hasn't been done.

T268, as I mentioned earlier, I don't think the dots would bother me. They're small dots, not big ol' honkers, and as such are a fairly tasteful addition to the guitar.

But I think Todd has a better perspective on how a lot of potential buyers for this guitar might feel. It's mostly bluegrass guitarists who play this particular model, and bluegrass players tend to be on the traditional side when it comes to their guitars. So you might find the guitar more difficult to resell later on, even though the dots have zero impact on the tone and arguably improve the utility of the guitar.

But most bluegrass guys that I know, anyway, wouldn't be thrilled by them. Not on this guitar.

Still, both Dave and Tadol made the point that you should be thinking about the guitar's usefulness for you as a musician. So it really comes down to whether you want and will use the guitar.

Use the non-stock condition as a haggling point and you might save a few bucks on the price.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-24-2016, 02:39 AM

If I am looking at a guitar, my first inspection would be if there is anything that makes it unplayable. Those dots, should not. I then play it, and, if I like the sound, and the feel, or, I can see that a few minor adjustments will make it feel good, then I'd spend my money. I may not be as fussy as some, but, if I'm happy, then it's my problem.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

It's a given the dots are an issue. So yes they do impact the price. If the seller does not agree with this wait and find another TR to purchase.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-24-2016, 05:10 AM

I like the style of these guitars and have often thought about getting one. Martin was making a version called the HD-28LSV for a while and Elderly ended up with one that Martin had put dot markers on.I recall they had that one a long time as buyers preferred the blank original look. Lower buyer interest, lower price to sell.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Keep in mind that this is a signature model, where all the specs were carefully thought out. While the mod may not bother everyone, it will definitely bother some, so the dots do reduce value. As to how much, will depend on the buyer, but off the top of my head, if a clean Tony Rice is worth say $3300 to $3400, than I think $2800 to $3000 would be fair for one with a mod like this.
This ^^^^^

Personally, I would pass. Signature guitars are the artists requested specs, changing them IMO defeats the purpose.

It won't matter to some buyers, although they probably will want a discount, and others like me will just pass. The world is full of un-modded guitars...

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-24-2016, 05:59 AM
Guest 1928

It's reasonably easy to hide plugged dots on an ebony board. A good repairman would fit them tightly, align the grain, and they would become nearly invisible. Five dots shouldn't be more than $250, or less depending on the region.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Mods are funny things, because people generally modify guitars to their own tastes. In the case of a signature guitar, I agree with Ted and others who said it would definitely hurt the value of the guitar (even though the mods look nice and appear to be well done). If I were looking for a Tony Rice signature model because of its association to Tony Rice, I wouldn't personally even consider this guitar--even at a discount. However, if I wasn't concerned with its association to Tony Rice, and just liked the model because of its non-aesthetic specs, then the mods likely wouldn't make a difference to me.

I believe some tastefully done mods can add value; however, you would need to be patient with the sale, because you would need to wait for someone who thinks that the mods you made are as appealing as you thought they were when you had them done. Of course, all this assumes the mods were of professional quality; otherwise, they can only hurt the value. I modified a number of guitars with K&K pick-ups, but never charged additional at re-sale, because folks generally don't believe pick-ups are an "upgrade"--in fact to some, they are undesirable. I never lost money because of a pick-up, but never recouped my money either...

My most modified guitar is my 000-28EC, to which I added a K&K, as well as an abalone top border and an abalone block headstock inlay. While these things increased the guitars appraisal value (accordingly to George Gruhn), I wouldn't expect them to actually increase it's re-sale value. I modified the guitar for me, and therefore--like most mods--it really only adds value to me. No problem in this case...I've had this guitar for 16-years, and it's going nowhere!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 AM

If you are buying the guitar because you enjoy it and it doesn't bother you - then it doesn't devalue the guitar. If you are selling, likely half of people looking for that specific model will be bothered to some degree and likely half won't care and might even appreciate it.

If you are asking because you are thinking about buying and flipping it, then it's up to you (as a guitar reseller) to know what may and may not devalue the commodity that you are dealing in.

For what it's worth, it wouldn't bother me at all because I purchase guitar's to play and enjoy. If I liked it anyway, I would still want it.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:09 AM

Generally speaking, yes, it will hurt the value of the guitar.

If you bought it already wondering if you would take a hit, you shouldn't have bought it, because you will. Personally, despite the quality of the workmanship, I don't care for the fingerboard dots at all and, if I were a buyer, would offer you considerably less because of them. If I'm looking for a Tony Rice model, I want a Tony Rice model. I don't want a Tony Rice model with fingerboard dots.

Does that make sense?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion