The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 PM

Several of these have longer scales than the Martin so they wouldnt be versions of the Martin. My advice is to save for a used Martin, then when you get close charge the balance. You want be sorry having a Martin on the headstock. You wont need or want any other guitar cause itll be a lifetime guitar.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Several of these have longer scales than the Martin so they wouldnt be versions of the Martin...
All Eastman OM's are short scale. I sell a lot of Martins, but at $799 MAP, the E6OM is definitely worth a look.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:56 PM

Eastmans are nice, but, to my ear, don't come close to the Martin tone. The Blueridge BR143 does come a lot closer (again, to my ear). They are very affordable. Some folks,are turned off by the string spacing at the nut, but I have successfully cut new nuts for several with wider string spacing, which helps a lot. They are NOT short scale, however..

All these pesky compromises. Yikes.

Rb
Old 08-23-2016, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Agree with the previous post. I think people assume that Eastman is trying to be a Martin-clone company. I don't think they are...the typical Eastman sound is different than a typical Martin sound. Many (me included) use words like more 'shimmer' on the Eastman when comparing the two. I like to say playing an Eastman sounds like you are playing in a Cathedral. Different than Martin and I think that is by design.

I'd say the same on Larrivee from my limited experience...different from a Martin clone by design.

Blueridge is probably closer to the Martin-clone market. Note though that BR will also have a thicker poly finish (versus a thin nitro finish on Eastman).

All great brands though that should warrant some attention!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
The suggested Larrivees are not short scale.
Perhaps, but they are top-quality builds Made in USA, unlike Eastman. You'd have to try a Larrivee to see the difference for yourself. Why the used Larrivees are now so affordable escapes me because they are top-level guitars, at least to the many who own them.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Old 08-23-2016, 05:08 PM

Another vote for the Eastman E6om. I've had mine about two months, and it is a great value, very versatile. If you're dead set on the Martin tone, you are probably best off buying a guitar like this to play while you save up the rest, then trade in.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the Skate View Post
Perhaps, but they are top-quality builds Made in USA, unlike Eastman. You'd have to try a Larrivee to see the difference for yourself. Why the used Larrivees are now so affordable escapes me because they are top-level guitars, at least to the many who own them.
Try one? I've owned over a dozen.

I was merely trying to respond based on the OPs requested criteria. And I'll readily agree that Larrivee's build quality is better than Eastman, especially when it comes to finish. Tone comparisons? Well, I've had Larrivees better than some of my Eastmans and Eastmans better than some of my Larrivees.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
...Recording King has 000's with similar specs to a 000-18. I don't feel these measure up to the Eastman or Pono, but they're bargain priced and if you get one with no problems they're pretty good.
Try one of these on for size:

http://www.recordingking.com/index.php/guitars/rot16

24.9" scale, torrefied Adi top, 1-3/4" nut - $500 at MF/GC...
Old 08-23-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Eastmans are nice, but, to my ear, don't come close to the Martin tone. The Blueridge BR143 does come a lot closer (again, to my ear)
Regarding the Martin tone, I was a Blueridge dealer for some time after I added Eastman to our lineup, so I have plenty of side by side experience with both brands, alongside Martins, which we also carry, and I did not find that the Blueridge tone was any closer to the Martin tone than Eastmans. Truth be told, although the guys over on the Martin forum used to tout Blueridge as a poor mans Martin, I don't think SAGA spends all that much time chasing the Martin tone.

As to Larrivee, they are indeed fantastic, which is why we are still a Larrivee dealer, but I can't think of one Larrivee that sounds, or feels, anything like the Martin 000-18, which is fine by Jean and Matt Larrivee.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:46 PM

Thanks everyone. Your ideas will be helpful in the future.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
See my signature.

It has often been said that a Harmony is a "poor mans Martin", but I prefer to say that a Martin is a rich mans Harmony...
^Concur...ranging from left to right $150, 125, 250...Harmony H165, H162 and H165. All of them already had neck resets, fret work and bridge work. The one on the right will hang with any martin 00015m hog.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Can you try the 15 series? I think the 00 is short scale.

I also give a thumbs up for the Eastman, and suggest that the slope shoulder ones are more comfortable than the big boy dreads, and you might love the sound. I love my E20SS. (The E10SS is spruce over hog...like the D18)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:16 PM

Check out the Recording Kings, I'd bet you'd be pleasantly surprised with these guitars. Seem to be a number of what I'd term as "guitar snobs" that won't give these guitars an "honest" chance. To each their own I suppose.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

We have three Eastmen in the house and have had two others as well three Blueridges. My son also had a Recording King RO127, their answer to a 000. While it looked nice, and had a quite comfortable neck profile, the RK tone, fit and finish don't come anywhere near the Eastman. Eastman guitars and Blueridges are superior in every way.

And, as mentioned above, Blueridge and Eastman instruments do not sound like Martin. In my opinion, Blueridges are crisper and brighter. If they are in any camp, it'd be Collings. The Eastman tone is all it's own. Their slopes sound nothing like Gibsons, but they are beautiful.

If I wanted a 000, I'd be on the hunt for an E6 8 10 or 20OM. I particularly like the E10OM, and I have played probably a dozen of them. There is a killer E20OM for $800 in the classifieds right now.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
As to Larrivee, they are indeed fantastic, which is why we are still a Larrivee dealer, but I can't think of one Larrivee that sounds, or feels, anything like the Martin 000-18, which is fine by Jean and Matt Larrivee.
Ted - I certainly defer to your expertise and experience with handling so many different, great guitars. I know I mentioned a used Larrivee OM-03 here because the OP wanted the price no higher than $800 — I am sure you are correct in saying such a guitar would not sound like a Martin 000-18. One question, though: Wouldn't a Larrivee 000-40 from the Legacy Series sound somewhat similar to a Martin 000-18? I have not played either of them, but I thought what Larrivee did in creating the Legacy Series was make the bracing similar to traditional Martins, with more emphasis on bass. Me? For my style of play, I prefer Larrivee's original and unique non-Martin-like, balanced X-bracing, such as found on Larrivee's -03, -05 and '09 series models. I have not found better sound/tone from any other guitar maker. I have no firsthand experience with the Legacy Series, but some people have said the tone is Martin-like. I would like to know your take on the Legacy Series.

To the OP - A used Larrivee 000-40 for $800 or less seems quite hard to find. That model used seems to be going for closer to $1,000. $950 on Reverb is the least expensive I've seen.
1987 MIJ Fender Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion