The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM

Default Neck of Waterloo WL Series

Has anyone had the chance to play these models? I am very interested but have doubts in regards to the neck. I just wanted some opinions as to what I should expect. From my research I know that it is V shaped neck with a 1 3/4 nut width (which I am used to) but have never played anything with a saddle spacing of 2 3/8. Is this huge? Well-I know this is larger then standard but what I am concerned about is if this will feel like a baseball bat or not. has anyone had the chance to play the alternative lower profile neck? If so does anyone know where this can be purchased? Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt123 View Post
Has anyone had the chance to play these models? I am very interested but have doubts in regards to the neck. I just wanted some opinions as to what I should expect. From my research I know that it is V shaped neck with a 1 3/4 nut width (which I am used to) but have never played anything with a saddle spacing of 2 3/8. Is this huge? Well-I know this is larger then standard but what I am concerned about is if this will feel like a baseball bat or not. has anyone had the chance to play the alternative lower profile neck? If so does anyone know where this can be purchased? Thanks for all the help.
I love the Waterloo necks. Something you hear a lot is that people are a bit apprehensive about them being too chunky but when they play them, they really like them. Now, that's not a universal response by any means. If you like really thin necks,then the Waterloo may not suit you. The only way to be sure is to play one (or more). But don't dismiss them without trying them first if the neck is the only thing you're hesitant about.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM

I played several at Elderly a few weeks back. Man the tone was incredible, but the "V" was a bit deep for me. My 2 cents. But try some for yourself. You might love them. The tone and build quality is excellent.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I loved the neck on the WL-14X T-bar I tried last year. And the 2 3/8" spacing doesn't feel like Martin's 2 3/8" spacing on something like the OM-18A.

Collings/Waterloo necks are typically more rounded in the shoulder area and deeper top to bottom, but the fingerboard taper is more slender than the Martin mod-v. The thinner taper gives the player the impression that the Collings/Waterloo neck is overall smaller and less chunky.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 08-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

The earlier WL 14 frets had very vintage-like necks. They were heftier, like the old Kalamazoos. The more recent models have a more modern feel. How do I know this? I have #2X (x-braced) and #4X (ladder braced). I played a more recent version of both the x and ladder braced models and the necks were much more modern feeling (smoother and the profiles were slimmed down). These were not the smaller-necked versions either.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 PM

Maryc, do you prefer the l to the x braced?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 AM

i had the ladder braced with v-neck, and the v caused pain in my thumb joint, so i let it go. i now have the x-braced with rounded neck, it is very comfortable and not a large neck profile. The saddle string spacing is not an obstacle for me, since i always use fingerpicks, but i know some flatpickers who thought it to be a bit too wide at the saddle for their style. As far as the tone that is a subjective experience, both sound great and "old-timey".
Old 08-24-2016, 07:00 AM

Where were you able to find one with the lower profile neck? I can't seem to find one
Old 08-24-2016, 07:55 AM

i am a southpaw i bought it online from vic's lefty guitars- i advise calling places and ordering one.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
I loved the neck on the WL-14X T-bar I tried last year. And the 2 3/8" spacing doesn't feel like Martin's 2 3/8" spacing on something like the OM-18A.
I concur...

Martin D-18, OM-18GE, 000-18GE 12-Fret
Huss & Dalton Crossroads DS
Santa Cruz 1929-00
Nash T-52
Fender Mustang Bass, P Bass, J Bass
Old 08-24-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Where were you able to find one with the lower profile neck? I can't seem to find one
Agreed - not many over here on the eastern side of the Pond. Ordering one is always possible, but it's a leap of faith; I know build quality will be second to noe, but I'd like to know more of what the smaller profile feels like, ie what's it similar to?

I have the same thoughts on the WL-12s: what does an oval Waterloo neck feel like? What's it like compared to say a Collings C-profile as on a C10? From videos, I'd thought of getting one, but I played a lovely Martin 00-17S recently, which suited me very well; I wonder how that Martin profile compares with the Collings as I'd have to order the latter sight unseen.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:30 AM

wl-14 profile only slightly thicker than martin ceo-7
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv58 View Post
wl-14 profile only slightly thicker than martin ceo-7
Nope. In fact the CEO-7 neck is still overall bigger feeling than the larger Waterloo neck, IMO.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maryc, do you prefer the l to the x braced?
I think it depends on the type of music I am playing, which is why I still have both. The ladder-braced is good for that David Rawlings style of flatpicking. It's good a fuller sounds with a certain attack. Mine has a t-bar and is super light. I believe they've changed the saddle on these too. The newer ones are a drop in saddle, while the older ones were cut-through (like the ones on the WL-K's).

I use the x-brace to play back up and lead lines on fiddle tunes and more contemporary stuff.

I like the Jumbo too. Kind of a dread without the big square shoulders. I notice that they are making rosewood versions now too!

I believe the Music Emporium has a low-profile neck model in stock. Call them.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Nope. In fact the CEO-7 neck is still overall bigger feeling than the larger Waterloo neck, IMO.
depends on individual hands- that's why casting about for opinions is such a crap shoot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion