The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM

Default Martin HD-28 VS

I'm thinking about buying one. Anyone have any info or opinion on that 12 fret slot head guitar? Pros and cons of the larger body and 12 fret dread? All my guitars have 14 frets clear.

Thanks for input.
2015 Martin HD-28VS
Taylor 514ce
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

I have a custom one on order from Martin with a MLO PA Taper neck. I have another 3-4 month wait. Never played a 12 fret dread, so I sure hope I love this one.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Guest 1928

It has two fewer frets...obviously.

The 12 fret D is 1" longer than 14 fret, so that means the bridge only moves by 3/8". I don't notice much difference in feel/balance, although others feel a significant difference.

All Martin 12 fret guitars are forward braced. Between that, the larger sound board, and larger body, they are generally big and full sounding, but sometimes at the expense of the crisp/snappy sound of a 14 fret body.

Vintage Series guitars after 2003 have a long drop-in saddle. Before that they were glued. After 2004 they have bone saddles and nuts. Before that it was likely Micarta on both.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:33 PM

My 000-17SM is a different animal. It is a 12 fretter, and it does have a slotted headstock. I actually really love the guitar, I'm a singer songwriter and the guitar is very comfortable to play. It's not a Dread, so it's voice is not as powerful but it's a very sweet guitar. I hope you enjoy yours as well!!

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:48 PM

My Horton long body 12 fret Dread is very simalar to that Martin model -
Basically the Martin has many of the same features ( think the Horton's design is a spin off of the Martin ) with the wider neck etc.

Basically the longer body and the bridge being more centered really makes that guitar ring -the wider neck takes a bit getting use to -but that was a fast learning curve for me -i love that guitar -Yes from time to time i need to go higher up the board ( actually past the 12th fret if your not into that lingo )
I dont mind stretching 2 or 3 frets , but it can get a bit tough past that . ( with the thicker and wider neck ) but the tone of that Monster makes it worth any short comings ---
Ive played many a HD-28vs - believe their presently not being made -
My Horton is very simalar in most respects.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
My Horton long body 12 fret Dread is very simalar to that Martin model -
Basically the Martin has many of the same features ( think the Horton's design is a spin off of the Martin ) with the wider neck etc.

Basically the longer body and the bridge being more centered really makes that guitar ring -the wider neck takes a bit getting use to -but that was a fast learning curve for me -i love that guitar -Yes from time to time i need to go higher up the board ( actually past the 12th fret if your not into that lingo )
I dont mind stretching 2 or 3 frets , but it can get a bit tough past that . ( with the thicker and wider neck ) but the tone of that Monster makes it worth any short comings ---
Ive played many a HD-28vs - believe their presently not being made -
My Horton is very simalar in most respects.

I have a 000-18 with the 1 3/4 nut. I really prefer the wider nut, so that part doesn't worry me. Being a beginner, been playing only a couple of years, I don't travel that far up the neck.... yet
And you are correct in that it is a discontinued model, just wanting to make sure that isn't because no one likes them. I wont have a chance to play this one although I have heard a sound clip.
2015 Martin HD-28VS
Taylor 514ce
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
It has two fewer frets...obviously.

The 12 fret D is 1" longer than 14 fret, so that means the bridge only moves by 3/8". I don't notice much difference in feel/balance, although others feel a significant difference.

All Martin 12 fret guitars are forward braced. Between that, the larger sound board, and larger body, they are generally big and full sounding, but sometimes at the expense of the crisp/snappy sound of a 14 fret body.

Vintage Series guitars after 2003 have a long drop-in saddle. Before that they were glued. After 2004 they have bone saddles and nuts. Before that it was likely Micarta on both.
Thanks for the feedback. The one I am considering is new so, according to your info, it will have drop-in bone saddle and bone nut.
2015 Martin HD-28VS
Taylor 514ce
Taylor GS Mini Hog
Old 08-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Hi,all of my dreads are based on the pre 1934 dread design - i.e. the 12 fret design.

This design was originally made as a Hawaiian - and latterly as an even larger "OM".

It haste two ideal aspects of a large, deep resonant body with a wider shorter neck.

The HD28VS does, unfortunately have a 1 & 3/4" nut width which, whilst a fne instrument was why I went for the Collings DS series which has the 1 & 13/16" nut width going to a 2 & 3/8" string spacing.

This is, however, a matter of personal choice.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Default hd-28vs

The HD-28VS is a cannon!
Probably the loudest dread I have played.
But, it sings like a bird - articulate note separation, excellent sustain, balanced with enough Martin bass 'bark' to distinguish it from 14 fret dreads.
Best for flat picking and strumming, although I have used it for finger picking many times.
The difference between the 28VS and a D-28 14 fret (both Martins) is that the VS has MORE projection with CLEANER notes. (My guess is that it has something to do with the tension on the strings)
Best quality is the 'fit'. Being a 12 fret, it sits perfectly in your lap (sitting) or very comfortably when standing. Feels 'compact'.
I've been in love with this guitar since I bought it 5 years ago.
My 'GO TO'.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
The difference between the 28VS and a D-28 14 fret (both Martins) is that the VS has MORE projection with CLEANER notes. (My guess is that it has something to do with the tension on the strings)
No difference in tension, so it's the other things.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM

The hd28vs is really nice and powerful. The d18vs is even better in my opinion. I rank them as my two favorite martins ive owned. Unique, cool and when they talk, everyone listens. The 18 is just a little better balanced whereas my 28 was bassy and trebly and somewhat lacking in the mids, at least compared to the d18vs, if that makes any sense.
In all fairness i was completely thrilled with my 28 and would still place at the top of my entire stack, had i not heard that darn d18vs.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Guest2145

OP, I admire your courage. I've been playing for over a decade, and still fear learning to string a slotted peghead, which takes me out of the market for most 12-fretters.
I have played and heard several HD-28VSes. To me, they sound broader and airier than for example an HD-28V, which maybe has more focus and cut.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

I've also owned the HD-28VS and D-18VS, and like previous poster preferred the D-18 -- they seemed to be virtually identical other than the wood difference (2011 and 2008 models). The D18VS is much more rare (darn, another one!). They must have just stopped making them, because there is a 2015 model for sale locally.

The observations here have been similar to mine, and especially the note separation was astounding compared to regular HD28s or D28s. The only thing that wore on me was the over-powering bass, it's really front and center. Because I liked them so much I eventually got a Collings version that is a bit more balanced, though that shape still has significant bass. I think the HD28VS was the most Martin sounding Martin I've had:-)

I would try it if you like the bass bias!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-24-2016, 01:37 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

Whats not to like! Here's my custom. This is a loud guitar!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaheyRolls View Post
OP, I admire your courage. I've been playing for over a decade, and still fear learning to string a slotted peghead, which takes me out of the market for most 12-fretters.
I have played and heard several HD-28VSes. To me, they sound broader and airier than for example an HD-28V, which maybe has more focus and cut.
Well, I have heard those stories about stringing the slot head, but I have decided to order this one. It could be here by the weekend...
Maybe I can figure out how to post pictures here for the NGD thread.....
2015 Martin HD-28VS
Taylor 514ce
Taylor GS Mini Hog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion