The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
For me it is Michael Millard. I like Frogs on the headstock and he probably he has a better understanding of how different woods and shapes make guitars sound a certain way than the CEO's of those big companies. He also shaves every neck himself and I love his necks. Oh and his guitars sound really nice.
This. He also voices each one.

--edit--

Although I probably should say Michael Gurian. Lots of great builders from that shop. Millard, Cumpiano, Humphrey...
Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

I have an emotional attachment to Martins but I've yet to find one I've kept. Just bought another one (vintage in this case) and sadly it sounds like crap. Oh well...

Which leaves me with my real favorite guitar maker, James Goodall. My Goodall of choice is his rarest encountered model, the classical. I was lucky enough to come across a pristine used one and it is the finest playing and sounding guitar I've ever had in my hands so I bought it. (smile).

Dave
Old 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

There are a number of builders in the same league, but Michael Millard at Froggy leads the pack in my opinion -- with much admiration & appreciation for Bill Collings and Dana Bourgeois. There are many AGF sponsors in the Custom Shop sub forum that are clearly in this category. I simply don't know them.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-23-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:13 PM

Right now is R.Hoover. I liked every SCGC guitar that I was able to play. Beautiful selection of woods and final products. His instruments have something that I cannot explain technically, but I adore their playability and sound. When I got my custom OM it was like I hit the jackpot. I sold/gave away every other instrument that I have had at the moment, and thats my only guitar that I abuse every single day. Furthermore, SCGC has a remarkable customer service business model. Can't wait to visit the shop and meet Richard and the SCGC gang.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Big Builder - C.F.Martin
Boutique Shop - Collings
Individual - John Greven

'nuff said

CK
Old 08-23-2016, 04:24 PM

I dont like Gibson, Martin or Taylor. There are others that I dont like for example those pointy acoustic guitars but the OP stressed Gibbys so much.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:28 PM

Now for my opinion Martin is my favorite builder. They have stuck to what they do best which is make quality acoustic guitars and ukes. I like Gibson electrics but not their acoustics. One more thought I would rather own a Mexican made Martin than an Epiphone.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:30 PM

There are many, many fine builders and guitars out there. I have not had an opportunity to try them all. However, at this point in my life I gotta jump on the Michael Millard bandwagon and cast my vote for Foggy Bottom. Michael is extremely personable, yet, he is not afraid to call it as he sees it. He gives back to the community and does what he can to help friends in need. Not to mention he builds a heck of a guitar! It was the voice of a model K that I played that hooked me and put me on the path of saving up for my current Frog. But it was Michael who made me realize I made the right choice when I went with my build.

If I had to choose a second place it would likely be George Lowden. His design aesthetic is one of the most beautiful IMO, and I have yet to pay one of his guitars that is less than spectacular.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Favorite Large Brand: Ovation

Favorite Small Shop/Luthier: Bashkin
Old 08-23-2016, 04:42 PM

In order:

Collings

Martin

Guild

Last edited by 6L6; 08-24-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
For me it is Michael Millard. I like Frogs on the headstock and he probably he has a better understanding of how different woods and shapes make guitars sound a certain way than the CEO's of those big companies. He also shaves every neck himself and I love his necks. Oh and his guitars sound really nice.
+3 in my family: I have H12c in adir/inRW and F in old german spruce/koa and my son just took delivery of a lovely and excellent K in adir/madrose.

I know that there are many very fine builders and this thread should be seen as personal taste and not a pissing contest. My friend Rich's Gilchrist arch is perhaps the best guitar I've ever played but I don't prefer an archtop for it's reluctance. Rich's guitar is the best thing ever.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 PM

Edited . . . . .

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Guest316; 08-23-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: The post being responded to was deleted :-)
Old 08-23-2016, 05:25 PM

My favorite guitars, among those that I have so far been exposed to, have been built by Stefan Sobell. Simply beautiful design aesthetic imo. Thick bell like treble strings. Somewhat unique arched top, making for an attractive and comfortable guitar, etc.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 08-23-2016, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfeas View Post
Right now is R.Hoover.
I'm with you brother. Santa Cruz is an awesome little company shop. Richard Hoover has trained many good luthiers. His guitars are amazing. I agree with his ideas and philosophies. I've never known anyone to sell a SC and not regret it. He tunes the guitar tops like a violin top is tuned. But his woods are amazing. My 00 12 fret Sitka/Hog has the most tightly grained consistent woods I've ever seen. I would have never believed I could get a guitar made with this quality of wood for the price I paid. I would have understood if they had wanted $10,000 for it. I bought a use SC guitar and that's all it took. I sold all my other guitars and bought a second SC. And I have been buying and selling high end guitars for 40 years so I knew what I was doing.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
When you say 'guitar builder' I think of one person, a luthier, who builds a guitar from planks to finish in a one man shop. And having a favorite one of them is sort of like asking, "what's your favorite rock band?"

As for Gibson, I like their electric guitars a lot, Their CEO not so much at all Mike Huckabee notwithstanding.
Haha, fair enough.... Yeah I would have rather Huckabee not be in that video, but he was staying on topic and conducted a good interview. As for one man shops, do you have a handful of favorites?

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion