The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Default Does an arm rest really improve tone?

I have been wondering if using an arm rest improves tone. There are a couple of aftermarket arm rests that use suction cups or clamps. They get the arm and hand off the top of the guitar, at least theoretically removing any dampening due to hand or arm placement. I rest my palm on the bridge pins; sometimes I anchor with my pinky finger.

The two that I have considered are:
http://saddleabout.com/product/saddle-a-bout/
http://www.12fret.com/2014/03/26/rubys-guitar-armrest/

Anybody have any experience with removable arm rests and what have you found as far as tone?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM

It it makes you play better, then i guess it does ...
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 AM

I have a JP armrest on one of my mahogany 000 guitars.
But does it REALLY improve tone? Who knows?
Wade Hampton has an open E major chord test but even that is not exactly the same thing.
You would need before and after recordings to really know.
They are not expensive, I say to give it a try.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder but it will at least change the tone. Whether for better or worse is up to you. But the idea behind it is a sound one. A guitar top left free to vibrate. Just play an open chord then touch the top of the guitar and hold it and note the tonal difference. It's there.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Does an arm rest really improve tone?

A tiny bit.

But an arm over the top edge of the guitar isn't going to dampen the sound like the guitars back being muffled against one's body. Something to consider before popping for an arm rest.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Guest4562

I had one of these when they first hit the market, and at the time it seemed everyone was using one. I didn't notice any difference in tone and it was an annoyance, so I took it off and that was that.

Those who have played long enough might remember a brass plate that went on the back of the head stock that was supposed to increase sustain. I never got one but I suppose it didn't work since I've not seen one in years.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:06 PM

i definitely notice a difference, especially when recording. i was getting this odd wah effect when recording acoustic guitars, and it took me a while to realize it was due to my arm coming (and going) in contact with the top of the guitars.

i bought an inexpensive leather arm rest to use for recordings. i don't care if i'm just strumming in the living room. and as mentioned, damping the back can be just as much (if not worse) a problem.

just look at how classical players are trained to hold the guitar. they never make contact with the guitar body, other than their left leg. a well trained classical guitarist will never have their arm touch the top.

and anyone can try it at home and hear the difference. strum a chord with your arm well clear of the top. then do the same with it coming in contact. you can even hit a chord and raise and lower your arm while it's ringing out. you'll get a wah effect while doing so.

obviously some guitars will be effected more than others, but every one of mine get clearly audible damping when my arm is making contact with the top. or if the back is being held too tightly to my gut.

Last edited by dmoss74; 08-23-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I was playing my dread years ago and kept noticing a remarkable difference to my arm held above the soundboard, versus forearm resting on it.

Since then, I've put JP armrests on every guitar I own.

I find it more dramatic on big body guitars, FWIW.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I'll go with "no," simply because there are too many variables (guitar, playing style, individual preferences in tone, etc.) to make a definitive statement that tone will improve. I wouldn't be surprised if an armrest does give some players a tone they prefer but I don't think that's an automatic outcome.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 PM

I had one and couldn't hear a difference.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:36 PM

My JP slimline on my RainSong OM makes it noticeably (but not hugely) louder to me as I play it. I'm not in front of it though, so I'm not sure how much it changes the "tone."
Old 08-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Assuming the exact same playing position, yes it improves tone. Others have stated that you need to free up the back and not smother the guitar, but it's fairly obvious that if your guitar was mounted to a stand and you strummed it and placed your palm where the inside of your arm would touch the top, the sound dampens.

Does it matter? Well, here at AGF, we spend thousands improving from say a 000-18GE to a 000-18A, to a luthier built 000-18 to get that last bit of tone. For $30 a JP arm rest let's the top ring free. I have them on 2 guitars, it made a difference. Yet I have 12 guitars, so 10 don't have them. (I cannot stick something on a 80 years old guitar). It's a small difference, but at $30 its a small fee. I think the JP is the way to go though as the weight and suction cups I think will dampen tone too. The JP is fixed to solely the rim and there is no vibration to dampen there.

It may leave a slight mark. I have only removed one from a guitar that I sold and it did leave the faintest of "imprint". You'd have to really look for it and it was just on the 6" of herringbone where it was attached. On the flip side it will protect a top from the sweat stain cloudiness that can occur too, especially on sunburst guitars.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:41 PM

Well, it is very easy to find out. What I suggest you do is play a vigorous first position E chord with your forearm laying on the top. Then lift your arm off while the chord is still ringing.

Most solid wood tops will sound noticeably different with your arm off the top, since it leaves the top free to vibrate to its fullest extent. On most guitars you'll get more bass and lower midrange response.

But if you can't hear a difference between when your arm is on the top and when it's off, don't bother getting an armrest. There's a huge difference on my guitars, a very clear before and after comparison that can be made. But I have tried that simple test on some guitars and had there be no discernible difference.

As for armrests held on with suction cups, those seem to fail when you need it the least. Every year it seems as though somebody different is making that sort of armrest, but there hasn't been any one company that's lasted very long at doing it, not that I've seen, anyway. The adhesive strip that the John Pearse armrests use seems to be a lot more efficient way to keep an armrest attached.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-23-2016, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I'll go with "no," simply because there are too many variables (guitar, playing style, individual preferences in tone, etc.) to make a definitive statement that tone will improve. I wouldn't be surprised if an armrest does give some players a tone they prefer but I don't think that's an automatic outcome.
But wouldn't the same player playing the same guitar eliminate those variables?

I know when I play my cedar-topped dread, especially, I notice a big, big difference when my forearm rests on the top.

It's like putting your palm on the head of a drum and hitting the drum. It will sound different.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
...There's a huge difference on my guitars, a very clear before and after comparison that can be made. But I have tried that simple test on some guitars and had there be no discernible difference....
I've noticed a huge difference on my larger bodied guitars, especially.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion